Lower Manifold Questions!

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Hey I'm doing a stock intake to GT-40 Intake swap..and i have my lower intake on the bench..and took all the injectors out, and sensors will come out shortly..but my question is....would it be easier/safer to put together all the injectors, rails, coolant piping on the new lower intake whie i have it on the bench, and THEN bolt it on to my engine, which is on the stand...
OR bolt up the BARE lower manifold to the engine, and then do all the work to it???? anyone thats done it from experiance..i was going to get the manifold all ready first and then just bolt er up..seems easier and i wanted to be a step ahead?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, definately switch everything first. It'll be alot easier and quicker to do that way. Make sure to put the oil baffle on the bottom of the new intake where the PVC goes. If not it'll blow oil up to your upper intake and it'll smoke.

yeah, when I had my lower off, I pulled the injectors and junk off before I pulled the intake and didn't put them back until the intake was back in...wish I would have left it on...been a lot easier, but i'll remember that next time :nice:

Just a side note, I changed mine out this weekend & did every thing on the bench too. The only thing that would have been better to install on the car would have been the heater coolant tubes.

hey thanks guys...more questions.... theres a sensor in the manifold..it screws into the tube part where the air goes..and i pulled it out and its COVERED in carbon and there a little wire o rsomething and it looks shot..anyone know what that is and if it should be replaced?? ALSO... what kind of 190lph fuel pump and adj. fuel reg. should i buy?! what is a good name and good quality.but i dont want anything super expensive..any ideas?

like jegs has a holly adj. fuel reg. from 35 to 65 for 60 bucks...is that ok? is it a reliable part???
god these bbk and others are 100 dollars..thast freakin expensive..i dont wanna pay that

latham83 said:
hey thanks guys...more questions.... theres a sensor in the manifold..it screws into the tube part where the air goes..and i pulled it out and its COVERED in carbon and there a little wire o rsomething and it looks shot..anyone know what that is and if it should be replaced?? ALSO... what kind of 190lph fuel pump and adj. fuel reg. should i buy?! what is a good name and good quality.but i dont want anything super expensive..any ideas?

ACT sensor ( air charge temp sensor ) When I removed mine it was all gacked up too. LMRS sells them for $39.95 ( 1.866.507.3786 ) My intake came off an Explorer so it wasn't taped for the act sensor. From the research and advice that I've got on this forum you can just relocate it to the air box, that is if your new intake dosn't have the spot for it. All you have to do is extend the wires. Far as your pump & reg, I went with BBK & purchased them out of summitt. Pump comes with everything you need to do the install.( even new clips for the fuel lines ) :nice:

soo bbk are the fuel pumps to go with? what about those Walpro or whatever..every one says u can get a 255 with all the parts for 100 bucks..where at??? are they reliable??
and what kind of oil baffle was he talking about? i just bought a new gt-40 intake kit and the lower was drilled and tapped for the act sensor...but whats teh baffle near the pvc? do i steal it off the old one? also for all that **** that screws in on the lower..sensors, heating tubes, what kinda sealant should i put on the threads?

latham83 said:
soo bbk are the fuel pumps to go with? what about those Walpro or whatever..every one says u can get a 255 with all the parts for 100 bucks..where at??? are they reliable??
and what kind of oil baffle was he talking about? i just bought a new gt-40 intake kit and the lower was drilled and tapped for the act sensor...but whats teh baffle near the pvc? do i steal it off the old one? also for all that **** that screws in on the lower..sensors, heating tubes, what kinda sealant should i put on the threads?

My BBK from Summit said Walbro on it. The baffle can be skanked from your original intake. You need the gromet too. I cleaned mine with some wd-40 & soaked the baffle in mineral spirits overnight. If I did it over again I think I would have purchased the parts new from ford. ( depending on cost )Don't use teflon tape on anything that comes in contact with fuel. ( regulator / fuel pres. guage ) I imagine that it would be ok on the sensors though. I used some sort of lock tight sealant stuff that the parts guy recomended to me. I'll see if I can remember the name of it & pm it to you. :nice:

latham83 said:
...theres a sensor in the manifold..it screws into the tube part where the air goes..and i pulled it out and its COVERED in carbon and there a little wire o rsomething and it looks shot..anyone know what that is and if it should be replaced??

That little piece that hangs down is a thermocouple - no need to replace it, just clean it up.