Suspension Lower Torque Box Reinforcement Not Fitting

Cheapskate207

The left one hangs a little lower
Jan 12, 2020
Maine
Trying to install LMR torque box reinforcements. The bolt holes for the lower control arms don’t line up. My torque boxes seem to be in great condition. I considered slotting the plate but I think that would defeat the purpose? Unless the clamping force does all the work? Nonetheless, I don’t think I should need to cut up a brand new part and have emailed LMR on the topic. I just wanted to post here and see if anyone else has run into this.
24B66919-C261-4735-B237-B9F3830815F2.jpeg

pics of my torque boxes, for reference:
35F60011-E0A3-4D99-AABC-2E225302F5F5.jpeg

727F326E-842C-4280-BB8B-FCD317678936.jpeg

FB6759F9-B965-4BB9-A3CA-4F30BA1A5903.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

can you tell what is keeping it from lining up? it looks like that small little "gussetting" at the top of the torque box may be the problem. Will it go into place if you tap it with a hammer? I didn't have issues with mine but I didn't get mine from LMR and I did mine like 11 years ago. You may have to take a dremel and grind just a little off those gussets until it lines up.

I'm thinking these may be holding it back from lining up:

fox torque box.jpeg

Last edited:
There’s no gusset. The reinforcement sits on the top and side, seemingly fully “seated”. To me, it seems like the hole is drilled in the wrong place or the bracket is bent wrong. I could be wrong, but i don’t think my torque boxes are the issue? Maybe someone else will see something I’m not though... I have no experience with bad tb but I have done my share of googling.

I just say your edited pic. That’s actually where the control arm goes. I just took it for reference of tb condition. They are side specific but I verified they’re on the correct side. I also tried swapping them just in case. I’m interested to see what they have to say. I know that Ford doesn’t have the best reputation for quality control in this era, but I can’t imagine I’m the only one that’s run into this.

It has been quite a while since I installed mine, now I remember it goes on the outer side of the box. I might check mine when I get home just to see how mine were made (the torque box reinforcements)

Reactions: 1 user
One of the people in this thread said he had to open up a hole just a little for the reinforcements

Installed mine a long time ago but I don't remember having any alignment issues.
That being said I don't think opening that hole up a bit is going to do any harm , it looks like its only slightly off.

It’s pretty close. I will if I have to.

Im leaning towards the hole is drilled wrong. My tb don’t appear to be bent at all and on both sides the holes don’t line up about the same amount. My thought was if the arm yanks on the bolt, and the bolt hole is enlarged, the reinforcement is less effective. Unless, the clamping force does all the work. Which is possible, I just don’t know. I’m probably over thinking this.

Wild Rides Race cars had some of the first sets of these torque box reinforcements, I bought a set off ebay at first and then went back and bought wild rides because of the feedback and quality, I sold the ebay ones but they looked to be good quality too.

You can also try getting that hole lined up by changing your jacking/support heights and locations. If you can get the body to 'twist' just a smidge, you can probably get the hole lined up.

A metal awl could be useful too.

Just want to keep this updated. I spoke with Jason at LMR. He had my take measurements and then handed me off to Landan. Landan measured at kit off the shelf and sent me those measurements to compare. I won’t get a chance to measure until Friday and will update this thread with my findings. Great customer service from LMR so far; no surprise.

LMR does have excellent customer service. I’m sure they will do what they can.

With that said, these are mass produced, assembly line cars. Things are going to be close, but gotta anticipate a little fudge factor here and there is needed just due to manufacturing tolerances of the glorious 1980s

‘90’s*** ;). I expected that. Landan also said he’s also run into similar issues. I’m anxious to measure and see if they’re correct. I’m curious to see what he recommends if the reinforcements are correct and the issue is my car.

Time to close this case. I took all the measurements and compared them to the ones Landan took. They were the same so it appears that the issue is my car. Landan said he’s run into this in the past and he had to slot the holes in the reinforcement plate. If I was ok doing that he would compensate me with a percentage of the purchase price in form of an LMR gift card. I found that extremely fair and, frankly, unexpected. I obviously agreed. Kudos to Landan and LMR for great customer support, once again.
0B662D0A-ECFC-4ED6-A663-0BAB8503463B.jpeg

This is what I ended up with. Landan confirmed this wouldn’t compromise the effectiveness of the reinforcements.

Reactions: 5 users