Lowering Engine with TCP Motor Mounts -- How to Post Photo?

70FB 383EFI

Dec 29, 2002
L.A. area
In response to a request, I was gonna try to show how I lowered my engine an inch with TCP motor mounts so I could fit a 351 EFI manifold and export brace under a stock hood.

But I'm such an IDIOT, I can't figure out how to post a photo. (When I click on the little "Insert Image" icon, it just says "[/IMG]", and gives me no opportunity to insert anything.)

Sorry :shrug: Anyone want to take pity on a poor moron and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

This is what you need. Just copy the and make sure it's at the start and

the at the end of the link.

W.Thompson

allcarfan said:
lower engine to fit a higher intake....dont need to move the engine back.
It should help those guys who are putting Tremecs or Richmonds into their cars too, they've got issues with pinion angles. In those cases they might want to move the engine forward a little bit too in order to avoid cutting the tunnel up.

Edbert said:
It should help those guys who are putting Tremecs or Richmonds into their cars too,

That is exactly why I am hoping to find out how this is done. I have the tremec ready to go in and I would rather start the lowering at the engine rather than a lower tranny xmember. I know I will have to have a different xmember but I can fab that myself and get a better fit throughout.

Historic... with your road racing knowledge... you should know that just lowering the engine will lower the center of gravity... enhancing handling. Moving it back may not matter (Although it should help balance the car more) It's a great idea in my humble opinion. As minute as it may seem. :)

Edbert said:
It should help those guys who are putting Tremecs or Richmonds into their cars too, they've got issues with pinion angles. In those cases they might want to move the engine forward a little bit too in order to avoid cutting the tunnel up.

That would be wonderful news.

Question. Lowing the engine wouldn't that create problem with headers ground clearance or header to steering box/centerline clearance?

Thanks as usual

Email me the pictures and I will post them for you. I am very curious to see this too...

Side note: ... And people are still wondering???

Edbert said:

Richmonds don't have problems with pinion angle or tunnel mods. Just some slight grinding on the tunnel cross member for the shift linkage :D

You're killing me, any pictures of the mounts? And how it lowered the engine. I called TCP months ago and they said it would not lower the engine at all??

You got me so excited and now I guess I'll have to take a cold shower.

I'm not so sure about lowering the engine, unless you have no plans of lowering the car. On my Shelby, which is lowered a bit, the bottom of the oil pan is lower than the pad on my floor jack so I have to lift up on the front bumper to get the jack on the under engin crossmember. I don't think I would want the oil pan any lower that it already is and although I don't have any real ground clearance issues with the Tri-Ys there were a set of regular long tubes on the car for a while that hit everything so lowering the engine would make it worse.

BAD67FUN said:
Historic... with your road racing knowledge... you should know that just lowering the engine will lower the center of gravity... enhancing handling. Moving it back may not matter (Although it should help balance the car more) It's a great idea in my humble opinion. As minute as it may seem. :)

I actually want to raise my engine (or get a shorter oil pan) just so i could drop the ENTIRE CAR down more, and have the engine sitting at the same place. Seems that would net more benifit :shrug:

I am presently installing a tremec 5spd and was also wondering if the tcp mounts will drop the engine. I have some pics of what I have been doing listed in the link below I had tried two diffirent mounts but the one set that would have dropped the motor would not reach the motor mount bolt holes. :bang: Does anybody have the tcp mounts not yet installed that could get some measurements.

http://photos.yahoo.com/cjclark97