Lowering Springs 2001 Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

I ALWAYS remove the coil springs from the engine side of the control arms. With the car properly supported on jack stands you can remove the sway bar end links from the control arm and carefully remove the two bolts that fasten it to the K member (The back of the control arm needs to be supported by a floor jack) Once the bolts are removed you can slowly lower the control arm down and remove the spring. Reverse the process to reinstall. You will need some sort of drift pin and pry bar to align the bolt holes as you jack the control arm back into place. This is by far the safest method in my opinion and does not require any special tools. Using this method the start to finish project of installing lowering springs on all four corners of a car such as yours takes less than an hour in our shop. Best of luck and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions that you may have.

ok i may try this i did come close once on the front drivers side had the coil compressed enough to come out but the coil spring tools were too long and wouldn't clear the A-arms so i through it back together and took it to get aligned again

Yep, you should have been provided a decent set of instructions with the kit that would have helped, unless you bought them from CL or EBAY, they prob not. Just do as jodyh described and you will be fine. I can have a set of front springs out in no time. Sounds like you didn't remove the sway bar end links and I even disconnect the tie rod ends too. Loosen up the a-arm bolts you that should give you the room you need. Just make sure you have a jack under the control arm and slowly let it down. If you installing aftermarket springs that lower the car you will not need any tool to install them. Just make sure you align the bottom part of the spring with the two holes in the control arm so the car will sit level when your done.

Lowered 2" WITHOUT CC plates here. The front wheels tilt in just slightly (unnoticeable to the untrained eye). No handling issues whatsoever, even with 420rwhp.

I'm running H & R SS springs with a 2" drop without CC plates and the alignment shop was able to get it to within spec. So far I'm not seeing any irregular tire wear. Be careful though, because I've known some who had issues by not using the CC plates and noticed faster than usual tire wear.

i still havent put mine in yet but i got my ghost lights 1/2 in the wiring sucks on these mustangs im finding out fast. the 460 system wiring makes no sense either i put some 6.5 fosgate component speakers in the doors and doesn't matter what way i put the wires it sounds like the polarity is reversed i turn the stereo up to about 15 and the bass crackles and sound bad anyone have an answer?

Well, I'm no car stereo expert but the stock 460 amps don't play well with component speakers stock replacements are best. I've got serious work to do on my 2000 because I have been lazy and just upgraded the speakers and added an amp for a sub. In my old 96' GT I removed the stock amps added my own and ran new wire to all the speakers with a multi media head unit. Sounded really good.