Lowering springs for 1996 GT convertible

Smoot_stang

Jul 19, 2018
Austin, TX
I wanna install some lowering springs on my 1996 Mustang GT convertible but my options are limited. I really like the Eibach Sportline springs but it says it doesn’t work with convertible GT mustangs. The springs that they do offer for the convertible don’t lower very much and generally have bad reviews. Does anybody know why these springs only work with the GT coupe and not the convertible? I want to lower 1.5 inches or more.

• Sponsors (?)

It's all about weight. Since you've got a V8 engine with a convertible it make your car heavier than a v6 convertible or v8 coupe, however I suggest you to look into vogtland sport lowering spring. They offer 1.6 inches drop front and rear.

I wanna install some lowering springs on my 1996 Mustang GT convertible but my options are limited. I really like the Eibach Sportline springs but it says it doesn’t work with convertible GT mustangs. The springs that they do offer for the convertible don’t lower very much and generally have bad reviews. Does anybody know why these springs only work with the GT coupe and not the convertible? I want to lower 1.5 inches or more.
I just bought the Ford Racing kit made by Eibach and they are designed to work only with the convertible - not installed yet but I was told if you use coupe versions they will scrape the front and are not recommended. Though the convertible Ford branded springs only lower 1.2 inches they do work well as they are variable rate, unless your wanting to have the extreme lowered look but have the car ride like a truck and likely scrape.

I just bought the Ford Performance kit made by Eibach and they are designed to work only with the convertible - not installed yet but I was told if you use coupe versions they will scrape the front and are not recommended. Though the convertible Ford branded springs only lower 1.2 inches they do work well as they are variable rate, unless your wanting to have the extreme lowered look but have the car ride like a truck and likely scrape.
Id call Eibach and see what they make for your tastes.

I really appreciate you sharing that Zookeeper - Im just curious whether the Ford Racing branded convertible springs made by Eibach are any different than the Eibach ones - mine came in an Eibach box, LOL . Getting them installed next week so Ill try to show before and after.

FYI, bought the chipyourcar 60hp chip ($250ish) for my kind of slow 96 (2.90 gears!) with what was a sluggish 215hp 4.6 and noticed a difference within 100 miles - much better throttle response and more acceleration above 3000rpm so I posted that in a Mustang form on FACEBOOK, - OMG what a mistake!!! Got a bunch of angry posts stating all chips were crap, I was an idiot paid by the company and without dyno info they mostly do nothing. WHICH IS TRUE on all counts (I was not smart enough to get any money from chip your car!) but no one gets on anyones case if you buy $200 chrome intake systems that heat up incoming air and just look good, not to mention louder $800 exhausts systems that add 5HP maybe - LOL.

Then I looked at review videos online and found out Idiots were buying chips from Ebay for $20!! Im serious. Im curious has anyone here bought a chipyourcar chip, or any other decent brand chip and measured results on a dyno or checked quarter mile times? Just because my car feels better in acceleration and response may mean nothing in terms of performance but Im pleased with results given the price.