lowering springs

yaboy4life93

Jul 11, 2011
Hey guys, is lowering a mustang safe? If so, do you feel 240 dollars for UPR caster camber plates and eibach lowering springs is a deal. I also plan on changing my front and rear shocks with new gabriel shocks. Is shock replacement really necessary/advised, or can I just keep my stock struts?

• Sponsors (?)

Lowering a Mustang is perfectly safe if the work is done properly.

$240 for the springs and cc-plates is a good deal if the parts are new. If the parts are used, it's just alright. Our cc-plates start at $120 brand new with a Lifetime Guarantee.

It's not necessary to replace your struts and shocks to lower the car, but it is highly recommended for best handling.

It's not necessary to replace your struts and shocks to lower the car, but it is highly recommended for best handling.

Provided the shocks/struts match the springs that are going on the car and the springs going on the car are the right springs for the car, as an example, putting road race springs on a street car will result in a harsh ride regardless of the shocks/struts used.

Depends on how much you lower the car. Going too low can actually be bad as the suspension geometry is designed for specific angles which are now changed.

Bump steer is a change in steering alignment as a car hits a bump and the wheel moves up or down suddenly independent of the other wheel causing it to toe in or out. It's a slight change in direction over bumps.

Hit or miss if you need it. You might be ok without one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Can I merely change the shocks and get an alignment, or is a bump steer kit necessary?
Also, what is a bump steer kit?

As with some of the other parts, a bump steer kit is not necessary, but it has its purpose. It can improve handling under certain circumstances. To give you an idea of what it does, I'll show you this shot of the bump steer kit on my '86. The idea is to get the tie rods on the steering rack close to parallel with the a-arms, so that as the suspension travels up and down, the tie rods and a-arms do not travel vastly different arcs which would unintentionally create a change in steering angle.

120105015.jpg

Before bump steer kit
102_3089.jpg

After kit.
102_3090.jpg

I wouldn't lower a mustang more than 1 1/2 inch with out a bsk. Not real expensive but you will need an alignment so if your going to put it on do it when you change the struts and CC plates and only align it once.