LS Swap New Edge Saleen S-281

Fox347

Feb 29, 2016
Hey there, fairly new here, figured I post my current project

2000 Saleen Mustang S-281 SC, bought the car with no engine.
Kind of a Frankenstein of a build and a huge learning curve, so here is some info in case anyone is doing something similar.

5.3 LS swap, LS6 intake, PAC 1218 valve springs, custom grind cam, pushrods, etc.
Twin Garrett 50MM turbos
Ford TKO-600
Factory Saleen rear end
Cobra bucket seats
Needed a special bell housing (Lakewood RM-6037)and Lakewood pilot bearing (15975) to mate up the Ford TKO to the LS.
LMR LS to Mustang motor mounts
6 quart low profile custom STEF's oil pan
Remote oil filter, which also allows me to tap into for the turbo oil feeds
ICT billet timing cover with oil drains for twin turbo setup
ICT billet power steering and alternator relocation kit
LS1 water pump
Custom power steering and hydroboost lines to run an LS1 power steering pump
HP K-member
QA1 coilovers
2003 cobra fuel tank
Lethal Performance return style fuel system, twin Walbro 255's
Microsquirt
Flowtech turbo headers.
80lb injectors, Holley fuel rails
Will be running on E85, hoping to make good power.

This has been pretty fun so far, about half way there I'd say.

20200222_125250.jpg
20200410_234323.jpg
20200324_191833.jpg
IMG_1248 (1).jpg
1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Hi there this is my first time posting thought I would ask for a opinion. I'm looking at doing a L83 swap with my v6 mustang didn't know what all it would take I'm thinking just the engine, transmission, drive shaft and rear axle. But didn't know what all else to do, got any ideas?

Hi there this is my first time posting thought I would ask for a opinion. I'm looking at doing a L83 swap with my v6 mustang didn't know what all it would take I'm thinking just the engine, transmission, drive shaft and rear axle. But didn't know what all else to do, got any ideas?

There's a ton of different directions to go.
Manual or automatic? If automatic I ave no idea what fits or what trans mounts to use. If you're going manual you could use any tremec (T5, TKO) setup and it bolts right in.
Rear end - yep a good ford rear end works nice, I kept the stock Saleen rear end in mine.
Engine management - need to figure out how you're going to run it, also need to splice in the ford gauges or just wire your own.
Engine mounts - LMR had mounts that bolt up to an LS in this body.
Accessories - ICT billet or factory options
Power steering and power brakes - need to adapt the ford stuff to the LS
If you're going NA it's way easier, you won't be playing Tetris as much
Clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, and bellhousing - you'll need to do some research depending on what parts you use.

It's a lot of little stuff that makes it time consuming, not too hard though. Mine took about three months and I have 2 kids haha.

There's a ton of different directions to go.
Manual or automatic? If automatic I ave no idea what fits or what trans mounts to use. If you're going manual you could use any tremec (T5, TKO) setup and it bolts right in.
Rear end - yep a good ford rear end works nice, I kept the stock Saleen rear end in mine.
Engine management - need to figure out how you're going to run it, also need to splice in the ford gauges or just wire your own.
Engine mounts - LMR had mounts that bolt up to an LS in this body.
Accessories - ICT billet or factory options
Power steering and power brakes - need to adapt the ford stuff to the LS
If you're going NA it's way easier, you won't be playing Tetris as much
Clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, and bellhousing - you'll need to do some research depending on what parts you use.

It's a lot of little stuff that makes it time consuming, not too hard though. Mine took about three months and I have 2 kids haha.
Could you possibly provide a little insight into the brakes and power steering? I just picked up a 2003 GT shell. Was curious what pump you used etc.

Thank you.

Well update on the build. Ran it all year with pretty much no issues!
Been running it at about 18-20 lbs of boost and it seems pretty happy.
Bumper exit exhaust I way quieter than I would've expected it to be.
Since I got it on the road I added an aluminum trickflow diff cover and some bmr torque box reinforcements.
overall been solid! And fast!
20201112_225238.jpg

Reactions: 1 users