Ls1 Swap 1999 Mustang

Ransom

Sep 29, 2017
I am considering saving up for it any opinions or has anyone done it themselves I just helped a buddy do his in his older style truck, I'd like to solve my driving issue before I do anything please refer to my last post if curious...

• Sponsors (?)

Im sure its been done but it's kinda heresy around these parts. Maybe someone will chime in but beware this could garner a lot of trash talk. Fair warning.

I know it will be expensive but they do make k members to put ls engines in these cars. I doubt know how the wiring will play. Probably better to just get a different car.

Always curious as to why people do this. Don't get me wrong, they are inexpensive, make good hp and hold up well, and there are a bunch of them in the bone yards.
But it's a ford with a gm engine.

Reactions: 2 users
Just supercharge the motor it will be easier and probably not as expensive to do.
A salvage yard near me does entire 4.8 and 5.3L LS truck engine pullouts from water pump pulley to transmission tailshaft, computer and harness included for $800. A few flex hoses from O'Reilly, fluids, a little freshening up on the junkyard motor and the stuff to make it fit a fox or SN95 chassis and you could pull this off for less than $2500 grand total (and lower the net costs by selling what you pull out of the Mustang).

It'd be hard to beat that with a supercharger setup, even using used parts, and with the LS engine, the aftermarket is booming, not so much for the 4.6 2v.

That, combined with a lack of readily available cheap GM cars to throw LS's into, is why you see so many LS-swapped Mustangs. I could buy a SN95 or New Edge 'stang with a blown engine for less than $1500 right now, and less than $2500 later have a 300+ HP, rock-solid daily driver that gets good fuel economy, has the aftermarket support to become even better, and actually handles better than it did with the heavy-ass 4.6 (which is a big engine for such a tiny displacement, look at a 4.6 next to an old 460 big-block sometime).

It's not hard to see why these are becoming so commonplace.

I'm going to start pushing these over to the "other" section.

I wouldn't say that I'm a purist but I definitely don't want a dozen different LS threads on our Mustang forum either.

Will have to think about this some. :chin

Reactions: 3 users