Fox Lx Intake Suggestions Help

1987lxhatch

Active User
Jul 8, 2017
Montreal canada
hi guys I recently acquired an 1987 mustang lx (it is converted to mass air flow)
IT has a few mods the bottom end was redone about 10k miles ago
it has keith black 10.25 pistons, comp cams cam (not sure wich one)roller rocker, edelbrock performer rpm heads, 70mm throttle body, 24 lbs injectors, cold air intake, complete 2,5" exhaust with cats, 1 5/8 unequel lenght shortys headers, electric fan. probably forgot to say something.

With all that said I still have the stock intake manifold! I need the change the intake ASAP before dyno tuning. I am looking for low-mid rpm for mainly street use. Should I put edelbrock performer?? Should I get them ported . help I am mixed up

• Sponsors (?)

When I first got my car it had explorer heads and a cam but also had the stock Intake on still. I put an explorer intake on and I remeber it making a huge difference since it was restricting so much air. I forgot how many mph I gained but I remember being pretty impressed with it. I think any intake you pick will get you pretty good gains. If you have the time I would recommend getting an explorer intake from the junkyard for 30 bucks.

When I first got my car it had explorer heads and a cam but also had the stock Intake on still. I put an explorer intake on and I remeber it making a huge difference since it was restricting so much air. I forgot how many mph I gained but I remember being pretty impressed with it. I think any intake you pick will get you pretty good gains. If you have the time I would recommend getting an explorer intake from the junkyard for 30 bucks.
Great thanks for the info I heard good things about gt 40 /cobra intakes is the explorer similar to these intakes? Also what year explorer should I get an intake off is it bolt on after that ??

Thanks for reply. Great thats what I was thinking also thats what my tuner said to put. Im trying to find one used or else I wont have a choice to put 1000$ CAD For a new one

Yeah they are a bit pricy. There was one on ebay for a nice price but that was last month when i looked. I dont remember them being that expensive when i was in the market for one. But that was a long time ago!

All the flow charts I've seen between the intakes are so similar that in my opinion the explorer/gt40/cobra intake are the best just because they're so much cheaper. And I forgot what years explorers have them but anyone with a 5.0 in it will work.

All the flow charts I've seen between the intakes are so similar that in my opinion the explorer/gt40/cobra intake are the best just because they're so much cheaper. And I forgot what years explorers have them but anyone with a 5.0 in it will work.
93-96 have the internal EGR hole
97-99 have the external EGR
It's very easy to tell with the intake still on the car- look at where the Throttle body attaches to the intake. If you see the intake part is the same size as the throttle body it is an EGR version, It if is cut out ( thinner) then it is a non EGR

Reactions: 1 user