MAC Whiteface Guage installation on fox?

PonyBoy90

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Toronto
Anyone here install their whiteface gauges themselves at home?

I order stuff from Latemodel 5.0 Resto in Texas USA about twice a year and on their website they offer the MAC whiteface guages for $39.95 US. A needle puller is included in the kit also I think. I'm not interested in the APC glow guages.

Can I do this installation at home or will I need a pro to do it?
Is it a simple installation or can I F-something up?
Will I need to re-calibrate anything (ie the speedometer)? needles?
Will I need to disconnect the battery or any other electrical assembly?

LASTLY, can someone give me a step-by-step instruction on how and what I'll need to dis-assemble (DASH panel) to get to the stock facegauge plate.

As I said, I looked at the advertised MAC whiteface guage plate. Are there other's of equal but lesser value? Which is the easiest and most compatible to install?

Please, only those who've done the install on a foxbody (mines a 1990) reply. A home installation on a 1994-2003 won't help me.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ITs easy: make sure you mark the locations of the needles exactly and when pulling off the needles make sure they stay in the same position as they were when you marked them. Its easy to bump them from where you marked them for as you are prying. I also HIGHLY suggest getting some Testors reflector orange model paint and painting the needles as they are more visible at night and just plain easier to read during the day. I have done a half dozen or so and are really easy. I always get some windex and Q tips and clean off the dirt on the odometer/tripometer numbers.

I like the Macs over the Speedware ones, but IMHO I like the NR faces the best.

One another thing,

When reassembling, I like to leave off the clear cover (and the black section that contains headlight switch, etc.) so I can make sure the guages all perform close to where they were. Just take your time, you can't screw anything up. Just be careful.

Just need a T15 or T20 torx, 8mm and or 10mm socket/ratchet and a #2 philips. Its just the black cover over the cluster itself, the kickpanel below (airbag cars have a steel plate under that cover) and the two halves over the steering column. They are philips. The others use a mismotch of different stuff over the years or from others taking things apart and using the torx where a philips goes and vice versa. It usually doesn't matter anyway.

You aren't moving much from the dash at all. There are 2 electrical connectors that the instructions show you that need sqeezed toward each other and pull away from cluster and the speedo cable is just squeezed at its largest diameter part and also pulled from cluster. Easy peazy lemon squeezy! It should take a few hours if you paint the needles and take your time and clean up things.

Dave

I did mine in my driveway in about 2 hours(first time I ever tried something like that). Then I did a friends in about 1 hour. It's really simple. Just take your time and remember to mark where your gauges were on the originals.