Mach 1 internals +TR3650 (blower)

mustanggt3685

Oct 8, 2005
Illinois
I believe that I can afford a blower now for the mach 1 (i'm not going to screw around with this one), but I have a few questions. First of all, I don't go to the track really, mainly just a DD. I'm looking at a vortech centri and really only want to run 6-7psi of boost due to the high compression. Is that safe for the stock internals? Secondly, will the TR 3650 hold up with somehwere near 380-400rwhp? I don't power shift, nor do I plan to anytime soon. Figured I'd get some info before I spent the bucks!

• Sponsors (?)

A Vortec S-trim is a standard output kit around 7-8lb. They also have a high-output kit that produces 10-11 pounds. If tuned properly, with good fuel, the Mach 1 internals can handle 7-11 lbs of boost. It can handle more boost with a Methanol Injection kit. The Mach 1 pistons are a cast piston, a pressed metal connecting rod, but it does use the good 8 bolt Cobra crankshaft, and an aluminum block. I would keep the gas tank HALF FULL AT ALL TIMES. This will support aftermarket fuel rails a lot better and open the flow to the fuel pump inside the tank.

OH yeah, don't beat on it in hot weather.

As far as the TR3650. It is only rated at 365 lb ft of TQ. It will last without a doubt for a DD, and limited track duty. But high RPM launches, and clutch dumps will bring its life to and early end! I sold one to a guy with an 03 Cobra. We wanted to get out of the price of a 6spd. He killed it in 3 weeks. 2nd and 3rd gears...GONE!!

You should be fine with 8 lbs. Get an aftercooler to keep the IAT temps down. The tranny should hold about 360-400lb of torque. Just keep in mind, the more you abuse the car, the weaker the parts will get. Just make sure you have at least a few grand for "backup $" just in case something blows. If the car is tuned for 11-11.8 afr, you will be fine.