Mach 1 or 2004 Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

i recently bought a GT, but i've driven an 03 cobra also. the cobra, everything about it, just feels so natural. never driven or anything in a mach 1, but imo, mach1 is a dressed up gt with a shaker.. not bad but for just an extra 4-5 grand, a cobra surely outweighs the scale.

'04 Cobra :nice: Supercharger from the factory under warranty and $500.00 of mods puts you in 400HP range? I don't know about anyone else but that pretty much somes it up for me... The Cobra ALL THE WAY! :nice:

I had a 99 GT first, then sold it for a truck (big mistake). Here recently I test drove a Mach 1 and was set to buy it then i found a sweet 04 cobra that I ended up with and couldnt be happier but i guess it all depends on what you looking for.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned except for the guy who said 99-01 cobra with KB.

1. Get the Mach 1

2. With money saved put an ATI Blower on it.

You'll be JUST as fast or faster than a Cobra and have live axle. You just won't have the forged internals or a T-56. Then again a T-56's gear ratio setup isn't meant for dragstrip. It's all up to you and what you want out of it. In the end, saved money, cheaper insurance (basically GT insurance rates), and money to spare by far. Mach is the smart way to go. I think most people here are stuck on the fact the facad(sp?) of the cobra is just breath taking.

KaPPaBaLL said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned except for the guy who said 99-01 cobra with KB.

1. Get the Mach 1

You'll be JUST as fast or faster than a Cobra and have live axle. You just won't have the forged internals or a T-56. Then again a T-56's gear ratio setup isn't meant for dragstrip. It's all up to you and what you want out of it. In the end, saved money, cheaper insurance (basically GT insurance rates), and money to spare by far. Mach is the smart way to go. I think most people here are stuck on the fact the facad(sp?) of the cobra is just breath taking.
That's a good idea, but what happens if the engine goes boom? :( I don't know if you want to spend about the same amount of money( Mach+blower)
and have the possibility of something going wrong, unless warranty and money are no object. :shrug: If that's the case go cobra, port and pulley, CAI and exhaust and you are looking at a 500rwhp monster. :nice:

When you get right down to the brass tacks, this is really a subjective arguement. I had the choice at one point to get either the 03 Cobra or go with the 03 Mach 1 that I had ordered. I test drove several Cobras, and at the time there were no rebates or incentives, as a matter of fact, most dealers were ADDING 5-10k to the price of their Cobras! Other than the amazing power of the engine, nothing about the Cobra did anything for me. I decided to wait out the 9 months it took to get my Mach 1, and I have absolutely no regrets. Sure, I can't smoke a Cobra, but I can beat about 98% of the cars I line up against at a redlight! With my latest mod, we'll see if even the almighty Cobra might be a little less of a threat. What's the mod you say? NITROUS!

KaPPaBaLL said:

1. Get the Mach 1

The compression ratio isn't the best for putting a blower on a Mach. So you run a big risk of blowing the motor. That will add up to alot more money than a Cobra to put in a new engine.

Jimmy- Bring it. :cool:

After owning a Gt with a Novi 2000 and going to the Cobra, I would never own another centrifugal blown stang. The power delivery from the roots makes the car way more enjoyable to drive. Adding the blower to a Mach would make it fast, but the power comes on to late.

The only reason you should get a Mach over the Cobra would be if you love the way the Mach looks and were going to keep it stock...or be happy running it down into the 12s with minor bolt ons.

The cobra has more potential (forged internals)if you want to go faster. The IRS sucks at the strip, but you can deal with it or have a solid rear put in.

I didnt do anything to the rear in mine to run 11.7, but recently went to QA1s which have helped a bit since the latest tune/added power...

Miklowcic said:
The only reason you should get a Mach over the Cobra would be if you love the way the Mach looks and were going to keep it stock...or be happy running it down into the 12s with minor bolt ons.

The cobra has more potential (forged internals)if you want to go faster. The IRS sucks at the strip, but you can deal with it or have a solid rear put in.

I didnt do anything to the rear in mine to run 11.7, but recently went to QA1s which have helped a bit since the latest tune/added power...

so the qa1 shocks really help a lot with the wheel hop and turning sideways ay?

not sure what you mean by turning sideways. I think if I understanbd you correctly that happens in GTs too sometimes.

So far I dont have any wheel hop on the street now with my QA1 set nice and soft setting 4

At the track since my latest tune I can still get wheel hop if the track is bad and I have them too stiff or if the track is good and I have them set too soft. So its pretty confusing to figure out. I probably have run about 12 times since getting them and once had hop and had to get off it. Most of the time at the track now if I mess up and launch too hard, the tires just spin. No hop.

I ran [email protected] friday night with a 1.95 60ft spinning through most of 1st gear. I just drove through it since I wasnt hopping.

Miklowcic said:
So far I dont have any wheel hop on the street now with my QA1 set nice and soft setting 4

That's weird.... I thought the stiffer the shock the less wheelhop? I have the HBH Anti-Hop shocks on my car and the instructions said to crank them up to "10" (Maximum stiffness) for the drag strip and back them down to 5 or 6 for soft street cruisin' or road thrashin'.

U.M.

?????

I am totally confused BUT.....

I bought them from JDM Engineering. Jim Damore said to start on 4 because the track usually isnt prepped well. He said good track use more stiffness, bad track soften them up.

So I went out with them at 4 and got some hop still (it could have just been me taking the clutch out too fast) too many variables here hahah

So I went to 3 (which is the lowest he said I should go).... Recently I started at 5 because I was bogging it the last time I had gone on 5 so i figured that would be good. I went out and spun the tires like I was on a wet road. So I went back to 4 bogged it a bit because i hooked so well and did my best since all this extra power...a lousy 1.82 60ft

I asked some guys at the track what they thought and they said bad track....you want a soft suspension...less firm

Maybe it would make more sense to go and start with the shocks set higher and work my way down?

I was also told my Jim Jr at JDM that you can get wheel hop if the track is good and you have them set too soft. So i guess there is such thing as too much traction? Basically it sounds like it just takes lots of practice....

ON THE STREET WITH these shocks set soft....so far no hop at all. I can easily chirp the tires and roast em if I want but no hop. Ill see once its colder out if the wheel hop doesnt come back from the extra power and colder road surface. With the shocks set soft you can actually feel the car squat down and leap forward.. Its really cool