Mach 1 MACH 1 VS BOSS

• Sponsors (?)

The '03-'04 Mach would win fairly easily. Stock Mach is 13.2-13.7 depending on driver. '69-'70 Boss 302 were mid 14 second cars. If you were talking Boss 429, the Mach would still win. Boss 429's were high 14 second cars.

A good friend of mine had a '69 Mach 1 Super Cobra Jet 428. The best he ran stock with it was a 14.1 . I'm sure with slicks it would have ran deep in the low 13's. I've read articles about the '68 1/2 Cobra Jet 428 that ran stock at around 13.2. I'm sure with slicks it would have run in the mid 12's.

I was watching dream car garage and they tested several muscle cars including the Boss 429. It bested the group running ~13.15 on original style bias ply tires.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a track time that low for a stock Boss 429. From what I read, you needed to change the Intake Manifold and headers and maybe a couple other things to get that engine to run the way it should. I never saw a track time for the 429 lower than high 14's stock.

I owned a 1970 Mach1 428CJ Drag Pack car back in the early '70's. I ran it a few times at Cecil County Dragway, but never with slicks, and I could never get it to break into the 13's! I could run low 14's all day long, but that was the best I could do.

On the other hand, my 03 Mach1, bone stock and dealer fresh, pulled a 13.1 on my third try of the day after having been away from the strip for about 20+ years!

Of the 3 Boss cars the 351 was the fastest in the 1/4 mile. With that said the 03/04 Machs still have them covered. We had a 71 Boss 351 in the family for 30 years, just sold it last year unretored for the price of a new Roush :D

Here's a decent list of the classics, the old Mach's fall down in the list quite a bit compared to the new ones.

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm