Mach 460 questions (Replacing head unit and door speakers)

Back2Mustangs

Sep 2, 2004
I want to replace the head unit in a 1996 GT. I also want to replace the factory 5x7 door speakers because they are both blown. I am car-audio-ignorant. I have never messed with any car audio so I have no idea about how this stuff wires up and what not to do.

I tried to search a little, but didn't find answers to my questions. First of all, the Mach 460 has two amps in the rear, and one under the dash...is that correct? If I replace the head unit do I have to bypass the front amp or can I/should I still use it?

Secondly, in shopping for replacement speakers I'm not having a whole lot of luck finding just a pair of component 5x7/6x8's. I'm thinking about buying something name brand off ebay just to replace the 5x7's in the doors. Can anybody give me some tips on what type of speaker I should replace the factory ones with? Should I just keep it simple and replace them with a set of factory speakers from another Mach 460 car?

I've been told that if I replace the head unit, I can use a two-way with the little tweeter attached to the center of the speaker... will it still function like it's supposed to? Will it sound like crap? Will the factory tweeters up by the mirrors still work? I am clueless about what to do and I don't care enough about this to spend a bunch of money paying someone to install alot of high-priced stereo gear. I've been driving without a radio for a year and I'm fine just listening to those Spintechs growl. Though, every once in a while I miss some tunes. Can anyone help educate a car-audio-idiot?

• Sponsors (?)

My install was totally over the top but it may give you some insight into various things.

http://travfrog.pertinent.net/mustang/audio_start.html

If you get 2-way with the tweeter in the center then it's going to sound a little odd since the sound stage will be located down at your feet - that's why they have thr tweeters by the mirror.

If you get a new head unit, you'll want to by-pass the old amps (remove them even) as most new head units have plenty of grunt.

The 460 isn't all that powerful really. Even the wires are pretty thin.

My install was totally over the top but it may give you some insight into various things.

http://travfrog.pertinent.net/mustang/audio_start.html

If you get 2-way with the tweeter in the center then it's going to sound a little odd since the sound stage will be located down at your feet - that's why they have thr tweeters by the mirror.

If you get a new head unit, you'll want to by-pass the old amps (remove them even) as most new head units have plenty of grunt.

The 460 isn't all that powerful really. Even the wires are pretty thin.

Hey thanks. I think that's everything I needed to know. I'll just keep it simple, get some factory replacement door speakers and a decent head unit.

you dont have get rid of the 460 amps, just get yourself a wiring adapter from scosche or METRA and mate the 460 amps to the new head unit. contrary to popular belief, you CAN use the stock amps with an aftermarket H/U. I got a new H/U and am using the amps and it sounds a hell of alot better than without the amps lol. if you need any more help, PM me and ill guide you through it, i was once in your shoes, going out and getting quoted from everyone and their mother to take the ENTIRE system out because it wouldn't "integrate" with a new H/U :bs:

I too am running an aftermarket head unit with the stock amps. I have aftermarket 6.5" components up front and am now looking to install some Alpine 6x9s in the rear. Is it as simple as just replacing the speakers? Can I STILL use the stock amps?