Mach 460?

bigDogs02GT

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2002
Would any of you recommend changing the headunit of a Mach 460 system? The unit in my 02 keeps jamming the cd's when I try and eject them and it's a friggin pain in the arse to pull over and unjam them :bang: . What replacement headunit would you recommend if so. thanx :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem with my six disc indash unit, had to use a credit card to get it to spit my disc out.

I took it to the Ford Dealership and the replaced it under warranty.

Oh btw Ford does have a notice that you are not suppose to use labeled cd's in these change because the label will come off in the cd player. I use to work at a Ford Dealership. Got a killer deal on a Mustang sold it to myself

later

stock headunit sucks. My cd's get jammed too and i always have to scramble for my credit card before it quits trying to spit it out.

Infact, i think the whole mach system sucks but maybe i'm just spoiled, i dunno.

The mach 460 is garbage. After my cd player stopped working(at all) I took it down to circut city and got a kenwood unit. it sits where the tape deck was and I have a spacer where the cd unit was. I had to take it back cause when they installed the cd player, the door speakers didn't work the the new cd player, in the process I had them put in bazooka 5x7's. The factory speakers are garbage too, so I replaced the rears with poineer 5x7's. And that was a pain in the @ss in itself. You have to lower a tray in the back that holds the amps to access the rear speakers. The system is finished off with a scosche amp and a audiobahn 10" sub. But yes, in my opinion the factory 460 sys must go. BTW I had to replace a blown tweeter in the front(I didn't know you can blow tweeters)with one from the back when I did the speakers in the rear deck.

i think stock speakers don't sound too great. Not to mention the ugly oversized tweeter housing. The system boasts a lot of power, but good power is nothing without good drivers. BUT I do agree it is still is a lot better than stock systems in some other cars and to most people that's good enough. I'm a recording studio engineer and i guess i get a little picky sometimes

A buddy of mine that worked for a Stereo shop said if you put a 4 channel amp in the car replacing the Mach 460 amps the speakers sound better. But I had to put my matching 4 channel amp in my wifes car so I will never find out.

I think the Mach 460 has a great High & Mid sound, you just need a sub woofer to pick up the rest. My 10 inch sub match with the Mach 460 is awesome.

I'll try and take it to the dealer, but my experience dealer work is only temporary and if I have to replace the headunit i'd like to have an idea of what my choices are. I remember seeing that you have to get a headunit with high/low crossovers built in for the amps to work properly. I would also want something to cover up the empty space underneath a new unit. I am not a stereo expert by no means and I am not looking to spend my retirement on something new. Maybe the dealer thing will work out this time.

1tirefire said:
The mach 460 is garbage. After my cd player stopped working(at all) I took it down to circut city and got a kenwood unit. it sits where the tape deck was and I have a spacer where the cd unit was. I had to take it back cause when they installed the cd player, the door speakers didn't work the the new cd player, in the process I had them put in bazooka 5x7's. The factory speakers are garbage too, so I replaced the rears with poineer 5x7's. And that was a pain in the @ss in itself. You have to lower a tray in the back that holds the amps to access the rear speakers. The system is finished off with a scosche amp and a audiobahn 10" sub. But yes, in my opinion the factory 460 sys must go. BTW I had to replace a blown tweeter in the front(I didn't know you can blow tweeters)with one from the back when I did the speakers in the rear deck.
I love my mach stereo. It was rated the best stereo in a car under $25,000 a year or two ago. You could buy a Lexus and get the Mark Levinson stereo option...maybe that will please you. :shrug:

You have to admit there aren't too many in-dash CD changers out there. The last thing I want to do is stop the car to load CDs into the changer that's in the trunk.

I'm gonna upgrade my speakers and amps without losing the factory head unit. It's great when it works and it just LOOKS better in the dash than any aftermarket DIN unit.

huesmann said:
It's not that the stock speakers are crap, it's that they're matched to the amps and they're some kind of non-standard spec.

Exaclty. The impedance they use in the system is some rediculous 1.8 ohm.. 1.8 ohms? WTF?

its a great stereo for a factory unit, but even a cheap aftermarket HU will give you more enjoyment. A NICE aftermarket one will have you singing hallelujah. I reccomend Infinity Kappa 6x8's Very very VERY nice speakers! Well worth the money.

So is it possible to just drop in a subwoofer without messing with anything else? I think its incredible as is and get so many compliments on the stock 460 sound, more bass wouldn't hurt though. No way in hell i'm taking out the stock head unit, i think an aftermarket unit just ruins the factory look and makes the interior look even cheaper.