MAF Question need your expert advice!

Guys I got a MAF for free I was told its a 75MM Cobra MAF. I have a '89 semi stock 5 speed with 19 pound injectors. I will say it made a noticable difference. IF this sensor is the wrong one can I swap out the stock sensor and put it in this bigger housing? Help or ideas?

Numbers on sensor?
F4SF-12B579-AA
AFH70-02A

• Sponsors (?)

Does it work well? If yes, leave it there lol

Fwiw, I *think* the 94-95 'bird and Mustang 5.0s shared the same MAF part numbers...might wanna do some looking though. And blown88gt is right, 5.0 Cobras were 70mm...

That's a 4.6L T-bird MAF and not really compatible with the Fox 5.0.

It may work and get the car driving, but unless you put the car ona dyno with a wideband and see the A/F ratio, you don't really know what it's doing.

Yes it is possible, but you would need a tuning device to be able to change the mass air transfer to match the meter. You could put your sensor in a 3.5 inch tube if you want. You would just need to be able to change your transfer to match. I have a slot sensor from a 2005 up mustang that I am using in a 3.5 inch tube. But I have a quarterhorse tuning device, so I can make the changes for this to work. It will most likely not work without a quarterhorse or tweecer.

The MAF body and sensor are designed to match each other. Therefore you can't swap sensors between different part number MAF bodies and maintain proper calibration. The assembly is designed to match the computer’s internal program, and swapping a different MAF can upset the computer's calibration. In other words, your monster MAF probably won't match the calibration of your 5.0 Mustang computer.

The only other MAF that is a one for one swap for a 93 and earlier 5.0 Mustang is the 94-95 Mustang MAF.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

Once your replacement 70MM MAF is in place, disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. When you reconnect the battery and start the engine, the computer will relearn the settings for the new MAF.

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/cat3.html Buy the TR70 for $44.95. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.