Magical Disappearing Brakes - 92 Mustang

brakes

Ok, saw some progress this weekend, but still not quite there. Friday, I swapped in yet another MC for a New unit. This time, I didn't bench bleed it at all, I just put it on the car, then immediately pressure bled the system. My thinking for replacing the MC yet again was I had a feeling that thru all the testing I had done (both methods of bench bleeding, plus pressure bleeding, changing Booster rod length, etc) I may have damaged other one. Anyway, I got the newMC on the car and everything pressure bled (still not running a Prop Valve)....

First Push of the Pedal = To the floor
Second Push = Just a tad up from the floor
Third Push = Up from the floor even more, starting to feel good
Fourth Push = Felt Great!!!

Not to get excited yet, I waited about two minutes and tried the pedal again.... Same thing happened (to the floor, then up a little, then felt better, then great pedal). So then we once again pressure bled the system thinkin there was still some air in the system. Got a LITTLE BIT of air out but that was it. we proceeded to pressure bleed the system about four more times after this with the same resulting pedal each time. Decided to put the Prop valve back in the system; no change.

What I'm wondering now is if there is air trapped in the lines that run along the firewall (being as they are higher that the MC).... but beside from pressure bleeding the system even more and goin thru even MORE brake fluid (been thru 2.25 Gal already), How I can get air out of the firewall lines? Unbolt the MC, raise it above the height of the firewall lines and pressure bleed again?

--Ryan

as in my first post to you...you have fluid bypassing check valve...

you have a valve in mc and in prop valve...

if you can understand this..only an example,,to make all 4 wheels to work you need,12oz of fluid but you mc only pushes 7oz of fluid...a check valve is added to hold fluid but release pressure,,,so when its holding 10 oz fluid back you only need 2 oz fluid to work ....

a test is done to see if prop valve is working ,by clamping front brakes off ...your wheel cylinders only need a small amount of fluid where the mc can handle for testing...if prop is bad you pedal will be hard...

there could still be other factors causing this,,,

i had this problem years ago with a bad hydrovac on 50`s ford fire truck that kicked my a$$ like you are getting a lesson....

if you try this test post back with results...

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, so tonight I worked on blocking lines off to see if I would get any difference in pedal feel. Here's what I blocked off and the results of the pedal feel::

REAR line at Firewall Coupler = Same Feel as 5 posts up
REAR line at Prop Valve AND FRONT RIGHT line at Prop Valve = First Pump, it didn't go all the way to the floor (about half way) and then good pedal on Second Pump
REAR line at Prop Valve, FRONT RIGHT line at Prop Valve, FRONT LEFT line at MC = Couldn't push the pedal more than an inch (dead-headed)

So, does anybody have any input on these findings?? I'm thinking the problem is in the FRONT RIGHT line somewhere.

brakes

Ok, so tonight I worked on blocking lines off to see if I would get any difference in pedal feel. Here's what I blocked off and the results of the pedal feel::

REAR line at Firewall Coupler = Same Feel as 5 posts up
REAR line at Prop Valve AND FRONT RIGHT line at Prop Valve = First Pump, it didn't go all the way to the floor (about half way) and then good pedal on Second Pump
REAR line at Prop Valve, FRONT RIGHT line at Prop Valve, FRONT LEFT line at MC = Couldn't push the pedal more than an inch (dead-headed)

So, does anybody have any input on these findings?? I'm thinking the problem is in the FRONT RIGHT line somewhere.

how did you block lines? i would have clamped on both fronts at the same time on rubber lines near calipers,,just the fronts and see what pedal did

but sill it something with your prop valve..you proved it with getting a hard pedal...if pedal stayed soft than it would be other,,,like i said earlier about fluid flow

is the prop on car now from donor car or orig.. you metioned something about 1 had abs and other didnt or was that just link pic ???

how did you block lines? i would have clamped on both fronts at the same time on rubber lines near calipers,,just the fronts and see what pedal did

but sill it something with your prop valve..you proved it with getting a hard pedal...if pedal stayed soft than it would be other,,,like i said earlier about fluid flow

is the prop on car now from donor car or orig.. you metioned something about 1 had abs and other didnt or was that just link pic ???

I blocked the lines by using Inverted Flare Brass Plugs. I tried clamping the front brake lines last night, but I couldn't get them to completely clamp shut.

The Prop Valve is on the car now. It is from a donor car, but I tore it down, and cleaned everything up and rebuilt it. Last week, I had it bypassed and still have the same pedal. That is why I have thrown it out as being the culprit. But I'm wrong alot haha. NO car had ABS, that was just the pic.

--Ryan

brakes

I blocked the lines by using Inverted Flare Brass Plugs. I tried clamping the front brake lines last night, but I couldn't get them to completely clamp shut.

The Prop Valve is on the car now. It is from a donor car, but I tore it down, and cleaned everything up and rebuilt it. Last week, I had it bypassed and still have the same pedal. That is why I have thrown it out as being the culprit. But I'm wrong alot haha. NO car had ABS, that was just the pic.

--Ryan

im pretty sure you found your problem,,but ive been wrong more than once.........

you just did it the hard way...

is the prop youtook out the same as from donor?

im pretty sure you found your problem,,but ive been wrong more than once.........

you just did it the hard way...

is the prop youtook out the same as from donor?

no, the Prop Valve is from a 4cyl Car at the junkyard.... but as stated above, I did cleaned and "rehab" it. Problem is, I think its somewhere in the fright front line, I just don't know what it could be..... I've pressure bled it so much now that I couldn't possibly see there being any air in the line. Heck, I even moved the MC up above the firewall lines just to make sure there was no air in them too. haha... :shrug:

Suggest that the pushrod from the booster to the mc is too long.

The orig on my Capri is adjustable. If it is too long, you can bleed and set everythng up, but when you push the brakes, the pedal rod, and booster rod are just a bit too long to allow the mc piston to return far enought to uncover the return port in the mc. When you push the brakes the fluid cannot return and the brakes stay engaged.

Suggest that the pushrod from the booster to the mc is too long.

The orig on my Capri is adjustable. If it is too long, you can bleed and set everythng up, but when you push the brakes, the pedal rod, and booster rod are just a bit too long to allow the mc piston to return far enought to uncover the return port in the mc. When you push the brakes the fluid cannot return and the brakes stay engaged.

When I release the pedal, the brakes free back up..... if I understand what your explaining, then that would mean i'm fine right? :shrug:

Well, no luck so far. Friday night I pulled the Right Front brake line off the prop valve and ran a soft hose ferom the prop valve side of the line to a bottle that I filled with brake fluid. Then I hooked up a vacuum bleeder to the caliper and vacuum bled the line using the fluid from the bottle. That made no change after hookin it back up.

So, last night, I replaced the calipers with reman units just to test if the old units had some sort of internal issues. So I got both of them on last night and pressure bled the system with no change still. So I'm really confused now.

I'm startin to think that there's air still trapped somewhere (even though its had almost two gallons of fluid pressure bled thru it now). I just don't know how else to get it out.

--Ryan

brakes

Well, no luck so far. Friday night I pulled the Right Front brake line off the prop valve and ran a soft hose ferom the prop valve side of the line to a bottle that I filled with brake fluid. Then I hooked up a vacuum bleeder to the caliper and vacuum bled the line using the fluid from the bottle. That made no change after hookin it back up.

So, last night, I replaced the calipers with reman units just to test if the old units had some sort of internal issues. So I got both of them on last night and pressure bled the system with no change still. So I'm really confused now.

I'm startin to think that there's air still trapped somewhere (even though its had almost two gallons of fluid pressure bled thru it now). I just don't know how else to get it out.

--Ryan

from the list in link for no pedal,and long post there is 1 part you didnt change..
CPP Brake Troubleshooting

fwiw any time ive used more than a qt bottle of brake fluid to bleed you have an odd problem....

after 5 mc`s/lines and calipers/booster whats left? these are most common problems,,,

i could have missed it this post is long,,but you said you only cleaned the prop valve ,,do you still have the orig from car? and did you clean it before you installed it,or after no pedal problem?

doing a search it appeared they all use the same for those years..trying another valve cant hurt,,you have tryied everything else...bottom of the link it has stepxstep instructions to find if valve is faulty...you did it different but i still think what you found was enough proof its faulty..that test will atleast tell if you have air in the line...

question on test you did do...was the car running when the pedal was hard?or even just plug fronts and see if rear work properly when running...this will rule out mc/booster...i dont think this will work for both fronts at the same time,

you have hard pedal when car is off,,yes,,,i do think air in line will effect both running and no running..
you say you have no pedal when running vs just a low pedal when running (air in lines)

from the list in link for no pedal,and long post there is 1 part you didnt change..
CPP Brake Troubleshooting

fwiw any time ive used more than a qt bottle of brake fluid to bleed you have an odd problem....

after 5 mc`s/lines and calipers/booster whats left? these are most common problems,,,

i could have missed it this post is long,,but you said you only cleaned the prop valve ,,do you still have the orig from car? and did you clean it before you installed it,or after no pedal problem?

I did indeed clean the original prop valve from the car, but when I went to put it back in, one of the front lines got cross threaded and would not longer seal, therefore, I went to the junkyard and aquired a "new" one. When I got the "new" one back, I tore it down and cleaned everything very well and put it back together (using brake fluid as a lubricant on all the seals contained in the prop valve itself)... So, with the original one in the car with no cleaning, it had no pedal, and with the "new" one in the car cleaned, it had no change (I say it had no change b/c I saw improvement AFTER this step was takin from other tests but NOT from this change, if that makes sense)

doing a search it appeared they all use the same for those years..trying another valve cant hurt,,you have tryied everything else...bottom of the link it has stepxstep instructions to find if valve is faulty...you did it different but i still think what you found was enough proof its faulty..that test will atleast tell if you have air in the line...

question on test you did do...was the car running when the pedal was hard?or even just plug fronts and see if rear work properly when running...this will rule out mc/booster...i dont think this will work for both fronts at the same time,

you have hard pedal when car is off,,yes,,,i do think air in line will effect both running and no running..
you say you have no pedal when running vs just a low pedal when running (air in lines)

As far as the hard pedal question goes, its a Yes and No answer.....

My CURRENT symptoms (just to clarify)::

With the car OFF
- First Press of the Pedal = To the Floor
- Second Press of the Pedal = About 2" Up from Floor
- Third Press of the Pedal = "Good" Pedal Pressure
- Fourth Press of the Pedal and so on After That = "Great" Pedal

With the car RUNNING
- The same as above but with the Booster "helping" out as it should

... So its not really an issue of me having Hard or Soft Pedal, but really, having Both. lol

I will try the step by step provided in the link to see if my prop valve is fauilty and check back. Thanks

--Ryan

I think you have gone back to a proportioning valve, which is the right move.

If you don't run one and do run one line to the front from the MC and one line to the rear from the MC, your drums will get no volume. Great for burnouts but 40% less braking power. I ran my drag car like this for years and didn't figure out the problem (hardly any rear brakes) till I sold the car. 4 wheel discs is another story.

Ok guys, I sat down the other night and me and my buddy wrote down, step by step, what we have done to the car as far as testing, deaignostics, and other "junk" to basically update everybody, b/c this thread is getting long enough now that its hard to keep track. I am gonna edit my Original Post to include this list too for any new visitors that wanna help to figure out this never-ending problem.

WARNING:: This is a LONG Post!!!

Round1
Installed used V8 front disk/rear drum brakes from 1987 GT
Installed new hard and soft lines
Installed used manual pedals
Kept 4 cylinder master proportioning valve and booster
Bleed system manually at each corner RR, LR, RF, LF method, NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 2
Changed master cylinder to remanufactured 4 cylinder unit
Bench bled master cylinder using tube into reservoir method

Round 3
Changed master cylinder to new V8 unit

Round 4
Pull master cylinder
Gravity bleed master cylinder

Round 5
Vacuum tested booster, failed test.
Changed booster to remanufactured V8 booster
Still NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 6
Transported to friends shop
Check for leaks at all lines, rear wheel cylinders, front calipers

Round 7
Remove proportioning valve
Tear down and clean
Re-install proportioning valve and cross threaded right front line fitting
Obtain replacement used proportioning valve
Tear down and clean
Re-install proportioning valve

Round 8
Removed master cylinder, removed brake booster pushrod, lengthened to 6 3/8” to match a factory pushrod obtained at the salvage yard
Only change to pedal was increased step between front and rear circuits
Check adjustment of rear brakes
Change master cylinder to another new AP manufactured V8 unit
Install on vehicle
Bleed all lines at the junction, working from the furthest point forward up to the proportioning valve
Bleed system manually at each corner RR, LF, LR, RF Ford service manual method, NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 9
Removed master cylinder
Bench bled master cylinder using "capped ports" method recommended by Maximum Motorsports Tech line
Piston will not move all in bore of master cylinder indicating no air
Re-installed on vehicle
Bleed system manually at each corner RR, LF, LR, RF Ford service manual method, NO pedal AT ALL!

Round 10
Change master cylinder to new O'Reilly's unit
Installed as is with no bench bleeding
Pressure bleed system
FIRST SIGNS OF PEDAL
First stroke goes completely to floor
Second stroke is off of floor 1/4 throw
Third and every stroke after words is 1/2 throw
Let it sit for a minute and first stroke goes to the floor again, etc.

Round 11
Continue to pressure bleed, run through 2 quarts of new fluid

Round 12
With the pressure bleeder installed and operating, pedal holds pressure and feels fine
This led us to believe that there was still air in the system
Continue to pressure bleed

Round 13
Decided to obtain a used booster and master cylinder from a U-Pull-It yard
Found a 4 cylinder one, tried it in the car at the salvage yard and it had pedal
Install used booster and master
Pressure bleed system

Round 14
Remove master cylinder from booster, but kept lines installed, lifted above firewall to bring it above the rear and right front wheel lines on firewall

Round 15
Started blocking off circuits on the vehicle to eliminate the possibility of trapped air
Starting at the rear junction on the firewall
Pedal is the same
Clamp off right front circuit at soft line to caliper with a line clamp
First stroke is off of floor 1/4 throw
Second and every stroke after words is 1/2 throw
Let it sit for a minute and starts over again
Clamp off left front and right front at soft line to caliper with a line clamp

Round 16
Block off right front circuit at prop valve

Round 17
Block off left front at master cylinder (comes directly from master cylinder)
Dead heads master cylinder and will not allow the pedal to be depressed at all

Round 18
Removed right front brake line at prop valve
Inserted prop valve end of line into bottle of brake fluid and vacuum bled line at caliper

Round 18
Decided to try new front calipers even though we didn't see any leaks around the piston seals and bleeder, line, etc.
Installed remanufactured calipers
Pressure bled system

Round 19
Doused car in fuel
Lit match
Couldn't muster up the nuts to watch it burn just yet

How's THAT for an update? :rlaugh:

--Ryan

Well, After SIX Months of dealing with this issue on my car, I can officially say::

I HAVE BRAKES!!!

The problem was actually Air Trapped in the top of the caliper..... and in saying that, I have to say THANK YOU!!! to everyone in the last three pages that have given all their help in helpin me figure out this issue and......

ttopstang, I can't thank you enough for posting that video, which ultimately solved my problem. THANK YOU!! I'm wish I wasn't broke as a joke, or I literally would be sending you some sort of a reward for helpin me fix this problem..... Again, thanks. :flag:

Thanks ALL!! (can you tell I'm excited?) :hail2:

--Ryan

EDIT: also, Mods, I dunno if you feel like its relevant or not, but this thread may be useful to others in diagnosing such a strange issue as I had, being as it happened on a COMPLETELY STOCK brake system. Just thought if this thread could be put into an FAQ section or sticky or something, it may help my fellow Mustangers out. Just a though.

I finally helped somebody.:D

I have been watching his videos at work for the past week and I remembered that video so I thought it might help. He has pretty good videos on diagnosing different problems and explains everything very good.

EDIT: also, Mods, I dunno if you feel like its relevant or not, but this thread may be useful to others in diagnosing such a strange issue as I had, being as it happened on a COMPLETELY STOCK brake system. Just thought if this thread could be put into an FAQ section or sticky or something, it may help my fellow Mustangers out. Just a though.
To be blunt, you did a bad/poor job bleeding brakes - period.

I will admit that it's near impossible to find the correct method to bleed brakes. An example is that video. Reverse bleeding is BS. Still, it's better than the very foolish method of vacuum bleeding.

Before you go claiming "I found out something NEW", think for a while.
o Ford produced MILLIONS of cars with those calipers EACH YEAR.
o After ~7 years of being made, there were additional MILLIONS replaced EACH YEAR by dealers and mechanics.

The problem of having a slight/small air bubble in the top of calipers is well known. That's why people will suggest tapping the calipers while bleeding if the pedal is still a a little soft after bleeding.

From your problems, you had a large amount of air in the calipers. Again, don't forget, these forums have been around for 10+ years, and replacing calipers is super common.

My guess is that you were "penny wise and pound foolish" in bleeding the brakes. How many pints per wheel did you use. My guess is that you used less than a pint for all four wheels. Yea, save ~$10, and have dangerous/sub-standard brakes.

Also, you never mentioned "what pressure bleeder you have and how you used it". My pressure bleeder costs ~$250+. And, I go through at least TWO to FOUR+ quarts for all for 4 wheels. I bleed at least a pint from each wheel per time (cycle around the vehicle).

I am sorry that you had to go through all of that time and money because, as far as I know, there isn't a good detailed reference for the proper/correct way to bleed brakes.

Best I can say is:
o Use a multi-quart Diaphragm-Type Brake pressure Bleeder.
o Bleed at least one pint per wheel, and do that 2+ times.

Here is the new model:
http://www.kd-tools.com/KD_BrakeBleeder_Flier.pdf
KDT3795 - Google Search
KDT3795.jpg

Here is the previous model - the one that I have and have used a lot (I fully bleed the brakes of my 3 cars each year):
7-Qt. Diaphragm-Type Brake pressure Bleeder Tank.
Tank has 10 1/2in. hose with quick-coupler and shutoff valve. Relief valve prevents damage from excess pressure. For standard and power brake systems. Ship Wt. 25.0 lbs
Item# 158057 Sold Out | Northern Tool + Equipment
158057_lg.gif

Picture of my pressure bleeder, and the universal adapter plate.
KD_Bleeder_2222.jpg