Magnapacks should could with excedrin

decoy562 said:
I bought my magnaflow catback from www.fulllineexhaust.com for $300, I believe the magnapack system was the same price. You'll find a listing of their locations, call the Atlanta one and give them the magnaflow model #, they will tell you the price, and how much to ship it, and you can order it over the phone. Hope this helps :nice:

Thanks for the input, they seem to have really good prices. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

1990StangLX said:
hmmmm.....maybe i'll get magnaflows instead of magnapacks...

LISTEN! the magnaflows have the exact same resonance/drone as the packs! They just don't sound as good until you are really getting on it. Don't fall for the "I want something quieter so i'll get the flows". You'll be pissed off and disappointed. My buddy wanted teh quieter ones so he got the regular magnaflows, now every time he rides in my car he says he should have got the packs, they just have a better deeper sound.

If magnapacks are too loud for you, take some aspirin in your purse.

I had the packs but I just didn't care for the sound. The tone never seemed to change from 1,500 rpm to 6,000 rpm the volume just got louder. It sounded great at idle but once I heard my buddy drive it down the street I felt sick. The sound just didn't do it for me. For Christmas I got the 12 inch Borla XR-1's center in/out and welded it into the magnapack catback. Holy Crap!!! :hail2: This thing has the deep idle of the packs but as the rpms climb the volume blows away the packs. Not to mention the tone goes from deep, deep rumble to a full out race car scream at redline with NO crappy popping and blubering that the packs had. On the freeway it is as loud as stock NO DRONE I can hear my radio with it only turned up to 2 1/2 lines on the volume at 60 through 105!!!
I wish I could get ya'll to her this thin in person. Oh well to each his own.

blkgt714 said:
Magnapacks on my Mach I.... Impressions after 3 days.. Around town off the highway they are great. I can control the volume with the pedal to an extent. Although they are still loud and I kind of feel weird about making all that noise when I'm only going 30 mph and barely accelerating. Nice deep tone..

Now on to the bad.. When letting off the gas it sounds like a bag of popcorn is popping under the car. Not loud popping, but very noticable.. People on other boards said there might be a leak in my system or I'm running too rich? But I guess I can deal with it, although it does make it sound like ass at times.

My biggest complaint is highway driving. There is so much bass/drone at around 2100-2400k rpms. It's so extremely loud on the highway that its gets annoying. After a 200 mile drive to San Diego and back I needed to down a bunch of tylenol, my ears were ringing. I usually drive between 75-80 mph.. But I'll be driving 60 or less if I don't get used to all that volume. If worst comes to worst, I'll probably end up buying some center inlet/outlet magnaflows and get them welded in.

So anyone considering the packs, just be prepared.. Because they are as loud as everyone says. I just wasn't aware of how loud they'd be on the highway.

I have read about people buying the bassani baffles forthe the magnaflow/magnapack setups. I would try that if I were you. Drone is why I went with borla. it has more drone than stock but even with an o/r pipe it is not bad. I have had almost every kind of setup at one time or another and borla is the best I have found for good aggresive tone with minimal drone. so if you decide to buy mufflers I would look at them instead of magnaflow.

If you do some searches you may find the info on the baffles I have seen it posted a couple times.

hognutz said:
I have read about people buying the bassani baffles forthe the magnaflow/magnapack setups. I would try that if I were you. Drone is why I went with borla. it has more drone than stock but even with an o/r pipe it is not bad. I have had almost every kind of setup at one time or another and borla is the best I have found for good aggresive tone with minimal drone. so if you decide to buy mufflers I would look at them instead of magnaflow.

If you do some searches you may find the info on the baffles I have seen it posted a couple times.

I had a Borla catback on my 95 GT.. Tone was nice, but it was quiet. I might be interested in those XR-1's.. Sounds perfect, loud aggressive tone on the streets.. Minimal drone on the highway.

Hearing the exhaust is great.. I just don't need to hear the bass reverb throughout the car for 2 hr drives..

As long as I'm not driving around in 3rd gear on the highway they don't bother me...I love the sound of the packs, I can't get enough of them, makes me wanna floor it everywhere i go. :hail2:

CatmanJJ said:
As long as I'm not driving around in 3rd gear on the highway they don't bother me...I love the sound of the packs, I can't get enough of them, makes me wanna floor it everywhere i go. :hail2:

You have an X pipe to go along with them.. I wonder how that would change things.. I plan to slap on a catted X within the next month. Maybe I'll wait to see how that sounds with the packs before swapping the mufflers.. Seriously though, how much bass/drone do you have at 70 mph +?

blkgt714 said:
You have an X pipe to go along with them.. I wonder how that would change things.. I plan to slap on a catted X within the next month. Maybe I'll wait to see how that sounds with the packs before swapping the mufflers.. Seriously though, how much bass/drone do you have at 70 mph +?
I have the exact same setup, I think there's a good amount of drone but I think it's really subjective. It doesn't bother me at all but I think it's noticable. :shrug:
I love driving around and just hearing the exhaust, I love the popping and gurgling idling down.

JonJon said:
I have the exact same setup, I think there's a good amount of drone but I think it's really subjective. It doesn't bother me at all but I think it's noticable. :shrug:
I love driving around and just hearing the exhaust, I love the popping and gurgling idling down.

Did you have the packs on with the stock H? Before and after difference?

CatmanJJ said:

80 mph in 5th gear is where mine drones, but my car has 3.55s, so that makes a diff, in my GT I had 4.10s and it would drone loudest at 70 mph.

CatmanJJ said:
80 mph in 5th gear is where mine drones, but my car has 3.55s, so that makes a diff, in my GT I had 4.10s and it would drone loudest at 70 mph.

Well we both have Mach's.. So I got the same 3.55's and you're right.. 80 mph is where i get the big time drone.. Thats usually how fast I drive the highways around here. 70 is a LOT quieter... As Jadeville said, maybe the packs will save me some speeding tickets (although have not had 1 in over 7 yrs *knock on wood*).

Spitfire said:
LISTEN! the magnaflows have the exact same resonance/drone as the packs! They just don't sound as good until you are really getting on it. Don't fall for the "I want something quieter so i'll get the flows". You'll be pissed off and disappointed. My buddy wanted teh quieter ones so he got the regular magnaflows, now every time he rides in my car he says he should have got the packs, they just have a better deeper sound.

If magnapacks are too loud for you, take some aspirin in your purse.

easy there queerbait...this thread is for those of us who don't know a lot to learn more about exhaust...i can freely admit i don't know a lot about the various exhaust so my questions in here are to get feedback from the guys with different systems. :rolleyes:

BNH4.6 said:
I had the packs but I just didn't care for the sound. The tone never seemed to change from 1,500 rpm to 6,000 rpm the volume just got louder. It sounded great at idle but once I heard my buddy drive it down the street I felt sick. The sound just didn't do it for me. For Christmas I got the 12 inch Borla XR-1's center in/out and welded it into the magnapack catback. Holy Crap!!! :hail2: This thing has the deep idle of the packs but as the rpms climb the volume blows away the packs. Not to mention the tone goes from deep, deep rumble to a full out race car scream at redline with NO crappy popping and blubering that the packs had. On the freeway it is as loud as stock NO DRONE I can hear my radio with it only turned up to 2 1/2 lines on the volume at 60 through 105!!!
I wish I could get ya'll to her this thin in person. Oh well to each his own.

if you don't mind my asking, how much did they cost? and all you did was take out the magnapacks and weld in the borlas? it was that easy?

I got them for christmas but my buddy told me his were $150 a muffler from summitt racing, I have saw them on various sites though for around 110 to 125 a muffler. Yes they welded right in just have someone that knows how to weld do it. The XR-1's that I have are the 12 inch sportsman muffler they don't come in any kind of catback only single mufflers. They are a good bit shorter than the packs, maybe about 3 or 4 inches longer than 1 chamber flowmasters, and about 4 inches wide.

blkgt714 said:
Did you have the packs on with the stock H? Before and after difference?
I put the Packs on a month before the catted x. I liked the H more because it was deeper, more rumbly/raw. But it was a lot quieter above idle. Once I put the X on, noticed power and the increase in sound. I think it's quieter at idle with the x than with the stock H. :scratch:

I enjoy it :)

1990StangLX said:
easy there queerbait...this thread is for those of us who don't know a lot to learn more about exhaust...i can freely admit i don't know a lot about the various exhaust so my questions in here are to get feedback from the guys with different systems. :rolleyes:
Queerbait? How about reread the post where I am trying to save people from falling for a common mistake, reading is fundamental if you want to learn on forums. Name calling isn't.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, *****.