Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (1975)

GT-03 said:
Well, actually, all the company has to show that you added performance mods (that's fairly easy for them to do), and then make the claim that these indicate you abused the car by "racing".

Then, the table gets turned, and you have to prove you never used the car in that manor. Just think of having to prove, you never slammed the gas pedal to the floor (not even once), and exactly how do you go about proving that? :shrug:

My concern is that when I get to arbitration that the warranty company will work on the basis of assumption and accusation. For example, the presence of headers implies racing. Isn't this just a wild accusation. Don't they need to provide proof that I raced, e.g., records of a local drag strip?

• Sponsors (?)

rjstaaf said:
Not to mention the fact that the computer stores information on just how fast the car has been and if it has hit the rev limiter.
That I'm not sure about, people have sworn by it and then others swear that it doesn't. I think even a Ford tech said it DOESN'T but who knows if it really was a ford tech posting.

GT-03 said:
Well, actually, all the company has to show that you added performance mods (that's fairly easy for them to do), and then make the claim that these indicate you abused the car by "racing".

Then, the table gets turned, and you have to prove you never used the car in that manor. Just think of having to prove, you never slammed the gas pedal to the floor (not even once), and exactly how do you go about proving that? :shrug:

Not to mention the fact that the computer stores information on just how fast the car has been and if it has hit the rev limiter.

DTMach1 said:
here's the deal man...you were running underdrive pulleys correct??? Those more than likely are what caused your oil pump gears to fail.

But keep in mind...our stock oil pump gears are stamped crap...if you run underdrive pulleys and are constantly running high RPMs...such as hot lapping at the dragstrip or running an autoxoss event. Those types of situations cause the stock oil pump gears to fail.

Now as it comes to your warranty, the burden is on the company to prove your aftermarket parts caused the failure, not you.

edit: I would highly suggest to anyone who is drag racing constantly or autoxossing a lot that is running UD pulleys to get an oil pump with billit internals. Otherwise when you spin a bearing or something like that you can't complain.

I want you to go out to your car, and take a picture of which pulley on the timing cover turns the oil pump. :rolleyes:

UD pulleys have nothing to do with the oil pump.

:spot:

This is a very good thread. Keep us updated on what happens with your case. I too, have been denied for warranty work because I had a superchip installed and didn't even know I had one. (Bought Used) I refuse to buy any extended warranty on any modified car I own. Good Luck to you!

w00t said:
This is a very good thread. Keep us updated on what happens with your case. I too, have been denied for warranty work because I had a superchip installed and didn't even know I had one. (Bought Used) I refuse to buy any extended warranty on any modified car I own. Good Luck to you!

I appreciate all the advice. Much of it will be incorporated into my documents for arbitration. I will be sure to keep you updated. Since this is arbitration rather than litigation, I am hoping that it is not a long and drawn out process.

01mgvert said:
For example, the presence of headers implies racing. Isn't this just a wild accusation. Don't they need to provide proof that I raced, e.g., records of a local drag strip?

That is why I put the word "race" in quotes. Street racing and any informal (stop light?) racing would count, in their minds, too. Not just formal drag strip or track racing.

It may not be a 'wild accusation' at the hearing if they back it up by showing you added performance mods, and raise the question, why would you have added those mods unless you were using them (to the max)? It may be very true that you aren't abusing the car. Just be prepared to prove it, and counter their argument, when/if needed.

I am not too sure how one can prove it. Possibly, being prepared to show a spotless clean driving record would be one way. :shrug:

GT-03 said:
That is why I put the word "race" in quotes. Street racing and any informal (stop light?) racing would count, in their minds, too. Not just formal drag strip or track racing.

It may not be a 'wild accusation' at the hearing if they back it up by showing you added performance mods, and raise the question, why would you have added those mods unless you were using them (to the max)? It may be very true that you aren't abusing the car. Just be prepared to prove it, and counter their argument, when/if needed.

I am not too sure how one can prove it. Possibly, being prepared to show a spotless clean driving record would be one way. :shrug:

The burden is on them to prove it. Not him. Merely rasing the accusations is not enough. By that reasoning, simply buying a performance car at all would imply that you planned to abuse the car. I'm not saying they won't try to say it, but he could just as easily counter it by saying he added the parts to improve gas mileage, sound, appearance, etc.

GT-03 said:

Fortunately, in the year that I've owned my GT, I have not gotten a speeding ticket, or any other kind of ticket for that matter. I wonder if I should bring a copy of my driving record, or again let them have the burden of proof. It seems prejudicial to accuse all performance parts owners of racing and abusing their cars. Isn't this like assuming that all motorcyclists are red-necks and bandits.

GinoGT said:
I want you to go out to your car, and take a picture of which pulley on the timing cover turns the oil pump. :rolleyes:

UD pulleys have nothing to do with the oil pump.

:spot:

did I ever say they did??? I'm not an idiot here...and I never implied you installed underdrive pulleys on the oil pump...

however,it seems that changing out the harmonic balancer, or even mounting it further out (to allow the new smaller crank pully to be installed) can upset the tuning of the harmonic balancing and lead to the gearotors fracturing. The Harmonic balancer is really not a balancer, but a damper, the weight and moment of inertia chosen to offset and dampen the harmonics created from changing the oscillating motion of the pistons and rods to the rotational motion of the crank. There was an article about this in one of the magazines recently.

DTMach1 said:
did I ever say they did??? I'm not an idiot here...and I never implied you installed underdrive pulleys on the oil pump...

however,it seems that changing out the harmonic balancer, or even mounting it further out (to allow the new smaller crank pully to be installed) can upset the tuning of the harmonic balancing and lead to the gearotors fracturing. The Harmonic balancer is really not a balancer, but a damper, the weight and moment of inertia chosen to offset and dampen the harmonics created from changing the oscillating motion of the pistons and rods to the rotational motion of the crank. There was an article about this in one of the magazines recently.

Personally, I've never heard of something like that happening, and I doubt a tech would have any idea on something like that. They would most likely try and void the warranty by saying "well, just because." :D