Make a v6 go faster?

mustang2k00

Apr 4, 2005
All the time I read about people wanting to make their car go faster off of the starting line. I was just wondering if it's possible to make the top speed on my stang go any faster by changing the gears or is it even possible at all?

• Sponsors (?)

mustang2k00 said:
All the time I read about people wanting to make their car go faster off of the starting line. I was just wondering if it's possible to make the top speed on my stang go any faster by changing the gears or is it even possible at all?

well that all depends on your current setup. if you want a faster "top end" speed, you would want a rear end ratio of something like 3.08 but the key to that is your engine power band needs to be able to rev high enough to carry over to your next gear without it "feeling" slugish such as changing the intake and cam profiles (not familar with the V6's parts). i'm not a techy but I know a few basics, but for example your stock V6 power range is from around 1000-5000 so you would need a "lower" rear end ratio to pick that up for example a 3.55 or a 3.73 would do the trick but you would probably need something like a 6 speed tranny with the last gear high enough to achieve that top speed your looking for. this might not make much sense but do some google'n on the net, b/c there are a few ways to accomplish the same goal. :nice:

Why not just get a chip to remove the top speed limiter? After that, up the rev limiter....upgrade your fuel system, lower the rear gear ratio. If you're at 3.73:1 now, drop it to around 2.79:1 (I know they make em, I have one in my other car). That should get you off to a good start.

I guess the better question is, WHY do you want to go faster? Completely stock I had my car to 130.

OK, but what about low-end speed?

What are you all doing to increase low-end HP and get the car to "jump" a little quicker off the start, even to just respond without that little hesitation off the line, and that sluggishness shifting from 1st to 2nd?

I have no desire to drive 140, but I want "quickness" if I can get it.

A car's top speed will be either redline limited or drag limited. If the car's geared too low, it will reach redline in top gear too early.
If you want 140MPH, all you can do is go through your gear ratios, and determine what rear end ratio will let you be right at peak HP in 5th at 140. The car might not have the horsepower- the only way to tell is to try it, unless you can find the car's Coefficiant of Drag number and estimate the top speed on paper.

Personally, I think the stock Mustang is too draggy to see 140MPH on stock HP.

Skymarshal said:

:stupid: :stupid: If you want to see anywere close to 140mph you are going to have to build that engine & chassis. Plain and simple, sorry to burt your bubble but a stock V6 isn't going to come close to 140... maybe 125 (and that's pushing it). Keep the stock rearend gears and just build the engine, chassis & trany up so it can handle that speed.

Skymarshal said:
A car's top speed will be either redline limited or drag limited. If the car's geared too low, it will reach redline in top gear too early.
If you want 140MPH, all you can do is go through your gear ratios, and determine what rear end ratio will let you be right at peak HP in 5th at 140. The car might not have the horsepower- the only way to tell is to try it, unless you can find the car's Coefficiant of Drag number and estimate the top speed on paper.

Amen to that! :nice:

thats why I suggest something like a V6 overhaul swapping out the intake and cam if he wanted to stay with a v6 engine, (don't know if they even make the parts or where to get new components for a V6) and playing with a gear ratio configurator. i'm sure its possible to hit 140mph with just the stock HP of a V6 but the thing is, it would probably take FOREVER with the "idealistic" environment (looooong smooth straight stretch with noo incline to waste the power) to wind it out. this being my .02

shira_uma said:
OK, but what about low-end speed?

What are you all doing to increase low-end HP and get the car to "jump" a little quicker off the start, even to just respond without that little hesitation off the line, and that sluggishness shifting from 1st to 2nd?

I have no desire to drive 140, but I want "quickness" if I can get it.

get something like a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio. Just remember, you'll achieve your RPM rev quicker and you'll drink more gas (based on your driving habits). That will give you that "get up and go" that your looking for. :nice:

While we are on this topic, does anyone know a link to an online gear ratio calculator???