Make me smoke LS1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdred

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
I've got a '01 Mustang GT auto and I've got about 2-3K to spend. I need performance mods. I am stock except for K&N filter. I was thinking about doing some exhaust work first. ModularFordPowerhouse.com says that their Dr. Gas Offroad X pipe with BBK long tube headers can net atleast 40 HP. Doesn't that seem kinda high? On a completely different note, I was thinking of getting their forged rod and pistons kit for $1400 and getting a cheap dry nitrous kit and just running a huge shot safely on the forged motor. What do you guys think? I was thinking of just skipping all the expensive little mods like t/a adjuster, pullies, CAI, and throttle bodies altogether since they hardly give anything.

• Sponsors (?)

tylerdred said:
I've got a '01 Mustang GT auto and I've got about 2-3K to spend. I need performance mods. I am stock except for K&N filter. I was thinking about doing some exhaust work first. ModularFordPowerhouse.com says that their Dr. Gas Offroad X pipe with BBK long tube headers can net atleast 40 HP. Doesn't that seem kinda high? On a completely different note, I was thinking of getting their forged rod and pistons kit for $1400 and getting a cheap dry nitrous kit and just running a huge shot safely on the forged motor. What do you guys think? I was thinking of just skipping all the expensive little mods like t/a adjuster, pullies, CAI, and throttle bodies altogether since they hardly give anything.

Try smokin' something else, you'll have better results. :rlaugh:

tylerdred said:

good luck buddy!! u might not want to hunt what you cant kill!!! :rlaugh:

NX Kit with a 125shot will smoke one out of the hole and you will beat them in the 1/8th with that pair of Nitto 555R's DR would help also...after 1/8th mile??? they have an extra gear?? Buy some 4:10's also and a 3200 stall converter. This will get you going off the line better than a 5-speed and you will be alot more consistant than a 5-speed also. Don't forget a tranny cooler!

List:
NX Kit with upgrade with install = $1000.00
Nitto DR's= $500
Stall 3200= $600-$700 not installed
4:10 gears= $200 not installed
Tranny Cooler= $50-$100 not installed

SMOKING AN LS1 = Priceless

RWHP= 325-335ish??? :flag:

laser2kgt said:
good luck buddy!! u might not want to hunt what you cant kill!!! :rlaugh:
:stupid: Doesn't really matter what you get you will need alot more than some LT's and X-pipe. The forged kit would be nice but it won't protect you from blowing out gaskets or the intake to peices. You'll hit the juice and love the feeling and then you'll make the mistake of trying to add just a little more to really smoke that last car. I don't worry about beating any car next to me because mine cost me 9k not 35 to 50k. I can put a few hundred or thousand into it and still look better in it than in a four door POS. And I just love driving American. Let the LS1 and the LS6 guys fight each other. I know at some point I will be able to beat the but who cares right now.

spray is your best bet. itll be cheaper then any other larger hp mod you can do. If you want to beat them for cheap, get a nx kit, spray a 125 shot, with some 4.10's and sticky tires. My bet is that you will beat the majority of ls1's out there.
my logic : 260 hp+ 125= 385 rwhp.
305 ft/lbs + 150 (from the shot, as it adds more torque then hp) = 455 rwtq or so. give or take

will beat:
340 hp
340 trq.
I dont know the specifics of the ls1's output, but you should be able to beat them with the spray and gears.
Mike
p.s if im incorrect at all with my numbers, please give the correct estimates, as im not a nitrous guru at all.

Heads and Cam LS1 cars are running 7.5 to 7.0's in the 1/8 mile or mid 11's high 10's in the 1/4 mile. At least the guys around here that go to the track that i know. Some of them are spraying to and getting mid 6's in the 1/8 mile which is good for well into the 10's.

A centrifugal 4.6 with 500-600 rwhp is about equal to a 400-430 rwhp motor ls1 car.

Good luck

Josh

w00t said:
Save up a little more and get a blower.
:stupid: A blower is going to get you the most power. Even then you will need gears and ofcourse at least minor exhaust and intake work to go with the blower. A good shot of juice will def help you catch up, but you cant ride the bottle for ever. Dude, ive has personal experience with a ws6, and 2k will help you catch up, but its going to take a lot more to smoke one.

My car with 256 rwhp and 302 rwtq with 4.10's, nitto dr's, upper and lower control arms, rear seat delete, lakewood 90/10 struts, fox body 4cyl front springs on the street from a low kick vs. a bone stock 00 trans am. Was a good race. I pulled ahead the 1st 2 gears by 2 cars. Once I went into 3rd gear the ls1 pulled ahead by about car and up to 120 mph was the same with the ls1 ahead a car. We did this about 5 times all the same. And from a high kick like 25 or so which is with me in 2nd gear and him in 1st. Was dead even until i went into 3rd and pulled away a car or 2.

A bone stock ls1 car with a good driver can run high 12's to low 13's straight out fo the box vs. us straight out of the box is about a second slower. Remember these ls1 cars have a ****ty geared t-56. So 1st gear for them is like us having a 2.73 gear in our cars.

Josh

MustangLife said:
A centrifugal 4.6 with 500-600 rwhp is about equal to a 400-430 rwhp motor ls1 car.

Good luck

Josh

WOULD YOU PLEASE PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN. Where do you get this crap???? 500-600rwhp is a low 11 and mid 10 second car man, WTF. a 400 rwhp car is a low 12 high 11 second car. In most cases.

Stop with all this sucking the man oil out of Ls1 owners. Only a few runs 12s stock, most are 1le's which is a stripped down Camaro with no features, no T-tops, no defrost. The need perfect weather and perfect track conditions. A lot of the older ls1 cars did not run all that quick. Hell they are 6 years old.

If you praise these ls1's so much, go buy one and get the hell out of these forums with your crap tech post.

600 mustang = a 400hp camaro, man what the ****.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

mogs01gt wrote

WOULD YOU PLEASE PUT THE CRACK PIPE DOWN. Where do you get this crap???? 500-600rwhp is a low 11 and mid 10 second car man, WTF. a 400 rwhp car is a low 12 high 11 second car. In most cases.

All I am saying is 400-430 rwhp ls1 cars are running low 7's in the 1/8 mile and running low 11's in the 1/4 mile. Which is the same for the 500-600 rwhp centrifugal blown 4.6 car. I have many friends with 4.6 cars and many with ls1 cars. Its just a fact. 4.6's do not have the power curve a all motor ls1 car has. There is no way in hell a 400 rwhp s/c gt will hang with a 400 rwhp heads and cam ls1 car. The same ls1 cars above I am mentioning are running 6.5's in the 1/8 mile on the spray.Do you understand how quick a 6.5 and 7.0 are in the 1/4 mile. Not to mention how much better f-bodies hook at the track and on the street. Both of the ls1 cars are are short timing a 1.48-1.55. Find me a 400 rwhp 4.6 that can short time into the 1.40's and still be a daily driven car. You know nothing about other cars besides mustangs. Are you one of the guys that sees a fast car at the track and say.. man he must be on the spray or something.

MustangLife said:
mogs01gt wrote

All I am saying is 400-430 rwhp ls1 cars are running low 7's in the 1/8 mile and running low 11's in the 1/4 mile. Which is the same for the 500-600 rwhp centrifugal blown 4.6 car. I have many friends with 4.6 cars and many with ls1 cars. Its just a fact. 4.6's do not have the power curve a all motor ls1 car has. There is no way in hell a 400 rwhp s/c gt will hang with a 400 rwhp heads and cam ls1 car. The same ls1 cars above I am mentioning are running 6.5's in the 1/8 mile on the spray.Do you understand how quick a 6.5 and 7.0 are in the 1/4 mile. Not to mention how much better f-bodies hook at the track and on the street. Both of the ls1 cars are are short timing a 1.48-1.55. Find me a 400 rwhp 4.6 that can short time into the 1.40's and still be a daily driven car. You know nothing about other cars besides mustangs. Are you one of the guys that sees a fast car at the track and say.. man he must be on the spray or something.

You are comparing cars with two totally different setups. I bet those ls1's you are seeing have a lot into suspension while the stangs you see with 400rwhp are on street tires and stock suspension. You really need to compare cars that are equal. There are multiple 11 second SOHC cars that do not have close to 400rwhp. So now your arguement on rwhp outputs is thrown out the window. No way in hell you will get 1.40 sixty foots on a daily driver. Yeah maybe 1.6s but 1.40 is ****ing quick. Now if you mean daily driver as in weekend warrior ok fine.

I can find you a 280rwhp SOHC that can do 1.60s, hows that sound?? If you love these ls1 soo much, get one and get off the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.