Make me smoke LS1s

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

the only thing you've proved cosby is what I've said all along: you now have a track whore of a car that requires a different tranny to launch effectively and survive a weekend. You also need that tranny to obtain the mileage figures you keep boasting about.

Long story short, you're wrong and I'm right if we're discussing a mainly street duty with occasional "friday test-n-tune" action. 4.88 gears are ridiculous. Hell, 4.56s are ridiculous as well with a T45, unless you place great value on 1/4 activity. You're ignorant cosby and couldn't realize the just of this discussion. Eliminating 2 gears on the street isn't a realistic option for most. It's a waste.

tylerdred, you made the right move getting a supercharger. You'll most likely have LS1 encounters once you're rolling anyways, so insane gearing won't help you much at that point. But a supercharger sure as hell will. Leave the 4.88 gears to the folks that live at the track and consider an afternoon replacing an input shaft as a fun activity.

jbvobra.....in your opinion, is everyone on here that decides to go with 4.10s or 4.30s in their modular (which like high revs) treating their cars as track whores? If he can run that and get away with it why fight him on the issue? i plan on making my car run close to those times eventually but as of right now it is my daily driver and im a college student and can not afford too

Modular2v said:
jbvobra.....in your opinion, is everyone on here that decides to go with 4.10s or 4.30s in their modular (which like high revs) treating their cars as track whores? If he can run that and get away with it why fight him on the issue? i plan on making my car run close to those times eventually but as of right now it is my daily driver and im a college student and can not afford too

no, they're not. The key statement here is "run that and get away with it....". Get away with what? Ahhhh....you're seeing my point. The "get away" part is cosby's wilingness to "sacrifice" daily driver habits for the 1/4 mile gains. Once again, we get very subjective, but I think the masses would frown at 4.88s.

Gears cost basically the same amout, regardless of ratio. If 4.88s provide such greater performance than 4.10s, then why aren't they flying off the shelves? This isn't rocket science; you have to place tremendous value on 1/4 mile racing to make a move like that. I've driven a bolt-on, 4.56 98 cobra and it was RIDICULOUS in my opinion. I can't imagine how worthless 4.88s would be in a street vehicle.

JBVobra said:
the only thing you've proved cosby is what I've said all along: you now have a track whore of a car that requires a different tranny to launch effectively and survive a weekend. You also need that tranny to obtain the mileage figures you keep boasting about.
Bzzzzt. The gearing I have has nothing to do with trannies, penile-extension boy. I have a strong tranny because I'm currently leading the NMRA F/S points and don't need to break a T5 in the first round.

As for a track whore...LOL. Shipmate, my car averages well over 15k a year. If that makes it a track whore, then you win. How many miles per year do you put on your wundercar? 5k?

Long story short, you're wrong and I'm right if we're discussing a mainly street duty with occasional "friday test-n-tune" action.
Well of course you're right and I'm wrong! Could it be any other way?

And when, Mr insecure, did the "mainly street duty with occasional 'friday test-n-tune' action" get thrown in there? Who put that restriction on anything? You? If you'll go back and look at your first reply after my response, you tried (and failed miserably) to do your best to discredit my ETs with your "insane gearing" arguement - every one of which I dispelled and proved wrong.

4.88 gears are ridiculous.
For some, they are. I'd venture that 3.90s are ridiculas for some in Z06 Vette's, but I digress.

Hell, 4.56s are ridiculous as well with a T45, unless you place great value on 1/4 activity.
Well, color me and many others ridiculas. I do place great value on 1/4 activity (don't you, Mr brag about your Z06 and "world's fastest stock bullitt" times?). But my car is a driver, first and foremost. Remember that, buckwheat.

You're ignorant cosby
ROFLOL. OMG do you see the irony of this statement? Ignorant is defined as not possessing knowledge. I suggest when it comes to this subject, you might want to go look in the mirror.

and couldn't realize the just of this discussion.
Hey goofy - I offered an opinion that had nothing to do with you. You then jumped in to talk about my gearing. Don't take my word for it....go back and look on page 3.

Eliminating 2 gears on the street isn't a realistic option for most. It's a waste.
You're right! Now, who's doing that? Can I? Sure. Do I? Hardly. Can you? Sure. Do you? Haven't a clue.

tylerdred, you made the right move getting a supercharger. You'll most likely have LS1 encounters once you're rolling anyways, so insane gearing won't help you much at that point. But a supercharger sure as hell will. Leave the 4.88 gears to the folks that live at the track and consider an afternoon replacing an input shaft as a fun activity.
LOL. This may indeed be good advice for this particular person. Understand also that a blower on a stock motor is a timebomb. How long the timer lasts depends upon a number of factors.

JBVobra said:
no, they're not. The key statement here is "run that and get away with it....". Get away with what? Ahhhh....you're seeing my point. The "get away" part is cosby's wilingness to "sacrifice" daily driver habits for the 1/4 mile gains. Once again, we get very subjective, but I think the masses would frown at 4.88s.
I think the masses would frown on 4.88s too - though there are a few that run them. I would not, and have not ever recommended them to anyone other than more dedicated drag racers (though I had them for a while, and put well over 10k street miles on my car with them....in an 8 month period).

4.56s are a whole different story.

Gears cost basically the same amout, regardless of ratio.
He can be trained.

If 4.88s provide such greater performance than 4.10s, then why aren't they flying off the shelves?
Everything is a compromise. I could point out several reasons. Want a list? Do some research, most things have already been mentioned in this thread.

This isn't rocket science; you have to place tremendous value on 1/4 mile racing to make a move like that. I've driven a bolt-on, 4.56 98 cobra and it was RIDICULOUS in my opinion. I can't imagine how worthless 4.88s would be in a street vehicle.
That's a great statement. Here we have a person that has "driven" one (so he says). However, I have said setup - and have had this setup since the fall of 2000...some 65,000 miles ago. I can point you to several others that have T45-equipped DOHC Cobras with 4.56s in their drivers. Many people.

Take it for what it's worth.

You have a nice day, Jeffrey.

LOL.

For those that might be interested, IMHO, 4.30s are the best street/strip gear for a DOHC car. If you are of the drag racing persuasion, 4.10s are next to useless. 4.56s are too much for some, just right for some others. 4.88s are for the more hardcore types. All can still be quite streetable....regardless of what the non-DOHC owner naysayers may try to make you believe.

Bob Cosby said:
LOL.

For those that might be interested, IMHO, 4.30s are the best street/strip gear for a DOHC car. If you are of the drag racing persuasion, 4.10s are next to useless. 4.56s are too much for some, just right for some others. 4.88s are for the more hardcore types. All can still be quite streetable....regardless of what the non-DOHC owner naysayers may try to make you believe.

yeah I would say the same thing but put in there All motor. Those tall of gears(and a 28 inch or shorter tire) with nitrous would probably make you have to shift into 5th if you were running a 125 shot or 150, with the 4.56s or 4.88s. Now boost is a whole other story. If you are running street tires at the track, you will be blowing your tires off on all shifts. Of course if you really wanted to pull the ETs out of your setup, there would be no reason for running a street tire over a DR or a Drag ET/slick tire.

One reason why I choose 3.90s. I want boost and I do not want to run a slick.

"regardless of what the non-DOHC owner naysayers may try to make you believe."

thats bobbie's comeback for someone that doesn't bow down to his point of view. Quit flattering yourself; I've already said time and time again in this thread that it is subjective and different folks will have varying levels of senistivity to "put up" with a mod. For some strange reason, you keep missing that point. Hard-headed? Cosby? naaaa... lol

and keep telling yourself I'm a liar. I never drove a 4.56 geared 98 cobra. I really don't care. You're out of basis for the discussion so you decide to start the name calling. Imagine that.... lol

and please, comparing a Z06 going from 3.42s to 3.90s is in the same ballpark as a 32V cobra going from 3.27s to 4.88s.... LOL. Keep the jokes coming bobbie-boy, because I just about fell out of my chair on that one. Nice apples to apples comparison. LOL

where did you read that he was comparing? He was saying that a taller gear like a 3.90 would be less addrictive to someone in a z06 compared to someone with a Cobra. That is partly true, people with ls1's really do not need any gears taller than a 4.10. Most dont even bother.

mogs....5th in the 1/4 is a non-starter. Not really an option you have.

There's a lot that goes into choosing a gear - much more than has been bantered about here. Certainly what is right for a n/a street/strip car will be different from what is right for a blown street-only car, etc, etc.

Back to Mr Presumption...

JBVobra said:
"regardless of what the non-DOHC owner naysayers may try to make you believe."

thats bobbie's comeback for someone that doesn't bow down to his point of view.
As far as you know, though I think most folks will see it for what it is: Someone with a point of view that has virtually no experience or basis of knowledge on the subject.

That would be you, Jeffrey.

Quit flattering yourself;
Go look up irony in the dictionary, please. Then find a mirror.

I've already said time and time again in this thread that it is subjective and different folks will have varying levels of senistivity to "put up" with a mod.
Well - we can agree!

For some strange reason, you keep missing that point. Hard-headed? Cosby? naaaa... lol
Absolutely. Sort of like you when you call my gearing "insane". Know what I mean, Vern?

and keep telling yourself I'm a liar.
I never said you were a liar - I doubt you are. Please post the quote where I said such thing. What I did do is say you are wrong and have no experience with the gearing issue you brought up (reference your first reply directed towards me).

I never drove a 4.56 geared 98 cobra. I really don't care.
Got circles?

You're out of basis for the discussion so you decide to start the name calling. Imagine that.... lol
Out of basis? One has to assume you are trying to infer that I have a different point of view. That is correct - one based upon facts and experience vice opinion and conjecture.

And yes...I enjoy calling you names. Please do continue to post fodder. :)

and please, comparing a Z06 going from 3.42s to 3.90s is in the same ballpark as a 32V cobra going from 3.27s to 4.88s.... LOL. Keep the jokes coming bobbie-boy, because I just about fell out of my chair on that one. Nice apples to apples comparison. LOL
While you're picking yourself off the ground, go do the mph vs rpm math, Vette-boy. Then go look at the powerbands of both. While you're at it, note that I never compared going from one gear to the next with different cars. My comparison was soley mph potential in 1st gear with two different combos in order to try and make a point - one which obviously went right over your itty-bitty head (actually, large head, small inards).

And please....continue to reply. It's a boring day today. Really.

:banana:

Bob Cosby said:
For those that might be interested, IMHO, 4.30s are the best street/strip gear for a DOHC car.

your opinion???

LOL LOL

funny how we're back to square one. Talk about back tracking. Started off with 4.88s, skipped by 4.56s, now we're getting closer and closer to what I said all along LOL

keep' em coming bobbie-boy

JBVobra said:
your opinion???
Yup. Want to compare credentials?

Need me to explain the word "credentials" to you?

funny how we're back to square one. Talk about back tracking. Started off with 4.88s, skipped by 4.56s, now we're getting closer and closer to what I said all along LOL
Bzzzt. I never said 4.88s were a "best" anything. Nor did I say 4.56s were a a "best" anything. Go back and get the quotes, Jeffrey. It's easy enough to do - I quote you all the time, just so folks know that I'm not making stuff up - like you do, as referenced above. :)

I really gave you a lot more credit for being able to keep thoughts straight. Silly me for assuming such a thing.

keep' em coming bobbie-boy
No worries, shipmate. You know I will.

:banana:

so I need to have "credentials" of lying on my back in the pits to know that a T45 and 4.88s is a "bit ridiculous".... LOL Not hardly. I'll let mullets like you enjoy that kind of fun and strecth the limits of input shafts... LOL

cosby, this is far too easy. Why don't you do a little math and show how far from the "acceptable" T45/4.88 combo ratio you have backed off of (ok, I'll do it):

4.88 X 3.37 = 16.45 (ok sports fans, this is what cosby calls "acceptable" in first gear LOL)

bob comes to his sense after countless input shaft snaps:

4.56 X 3.37 = 15.37 (ok, still snapping shafts, getting tired of car breaking and lying on back in pits LOL)

bob throws more money at it. Enter custom T5 with 2.92 first:

4.56 X 2.92 = 13.32 (rut-roh....maybe that jbvobra vette driven guy isn't so far off after all.....better 60fts, better mph trap, better mpg....hmmmm)

Ok sports fans with the T45/3650 that don't exactly savor the idea of throwing $1500 towards a new tranny. Whats the comparable first gear ratio to Cosby's current setup??? Do you need me to do the math??? It might be something slightly less than the gear whore would like you to realize:

4.10 X 3.37 = 13.82 (holy smoly....down to 4.10's and the first gear overall ratio is STILL greater than what he's setting records in today! LOL Maybe the mod god was a little over zealous with the gear analysis and just didn't want to admit that tranny strength was the real culprit of his previous struggles.... LOL)

yeah, good way to get your opinion across with the Mullet comment. Last pic I saw of Bob, he had a military cut.

laying on his back setting NMRA records and getting the rules changed from the 5.0 whiners. If that is lying on your back to you then please give me your definition of hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.