Make me smoke LS1s

Status
Not open for further replies.
mogs01gt said:
yeah, good way to get your opinion across with the Mullet comment. Last pic I saw of Bob, he had a military cut.

laying on his back setting NMRA records and getting the rules changed from the 5.0 whiners. If that is lying on your back to you then please give me your definition of hard work.

exactly the point

you want all out 4V performance, listen to bob. You want something more sane for city driving, take what he says with a grain of salt. He has the up most incentive to get the car to go fast. City manners are way in the back field of his thought process.

glad you're paying attention

• Sponsors (?)

JBVobra said:
so I need to have "credentials" of lying on my back in the pits to know that a T45 and 4.88s is a "bit ridiculous".... LOL Not hardly. I'll let mullets like you enjoy that kind of fun and strecth the limits of input shafts... LOL
More ignorant rants from one who is quite ignorant on the subject at hand (go look up "ignorant" - I'm not calling you a dirty name...just telling you how uninformed you are).

The 4.56s have nothing to do with breaking the tranny. At all.

cosby, this is far too easy. Why don't you do a little math and show how far from the "acceptable" T45/4.88 combo ratio you have backed off of (ok, I'll do it):

4.88 X 3.37 = 16.45 (ok sports fans, this is what cosby calls "acceptable" in first gear LOL)
Although your math is good (and note the 7500 rpm redline I had with the 4.88s), acceptable is subjective. It is acceptable to some and not to others. Kindly show me where I have stated otherwise (I ask you to quote me to back up your accusations all the time, but you never do it. Guess you won't this time either).

bob comes to his sense after countless input shaft snaps:

4.56 X 3.37 = 15.37 (ok, still snapping shafts, getting tired of car breaking and lying on back in pits LOL)
Bzzzt. Never broke an input shaft after Dec 01. Care to tell me why? Hint: I used the same tranny, same clutch, and both 4.56s and 4.88s.

bob throws more money at it. Enter custom T5 with 2.92 first:

4.56 X 2.92 = 13.32 (rut-roh....maybe that jbvobra vette driven guy isn't so far off after all.....better 60fts, better mph trap, better mpg....hmmmm)
Bzzzzt. MPG would not change on tranny swap alone, as the T5 I had prior also had the .59 5th gear. 60fts cannot be compared, as I no longer have an untouched long block (I make ~45 more HP, and do it more efficiently). Ditto my latest MPG numbers.

Keep trying, Jeffrey. The more you talk, the more you (and everybody else) finds out how much you don't know.

Ok sports fans with the T45/3650 that don't exactly savor the idea of throwing $1500 towards a new tranny. Whats the comparable first gear ratio to Cosby's current setup??? Do you need me to do the math??? It might be something slightly less than the gear whore would like you to realize:

4.10 X 3.37 = 13.82 (holy smoly....down to 4.10's and the first gear overall ratio is STILL greater than what he's setting records in today! LOL Maybe the mod god was a little over zealous with the gear analysis and just didn't want to admit that tranny strength was the real culprit of his previous struggles.... LOL)

Is there meaning to all of that? Guess what - assuming hook, a car will 60 ft better with the better 1st gear. Yup, even if it only runs to ~35 mph in 1st. If you can show otherwise (preferably to experience), please provide it. In fact, I think you'll find that the best 60 fts for the quickest N/A Cobra's are obtained with either a 3.37, 3.35, or 3.27 1st gear (I'll let you figure out which tranny is which) and a 4.56 or 4.88 rear gear (I'll let you figure out who has what).

Tranny strength, as you put it, is the real culprit behind the G-Force T5 I now have - not the 1st gear ratio. In fact, if the NMRA allowed straight-cut gears, I'd have the 3.22 ratio T5 in there right now. Run that through your calculator (don't worry, I already have).

Next.

JBVobra said:
exactly the point

you want all out 4V performance, listen to bob. You want something more sane for city driving, take what he says with a grain of salt.
I'll go you one better than that, shippy. Talk to a variety of people who have been there, and done that. Speaking of which, not only have I tried to get the best n/a 4V performance out of my car, but I also drive it in the city and on the highway. A lot.

So, how much have you done in the way of getting the most out of your n/a 4V? How much city driving have you done in your n/a 4V?

Answer to both: Zippo.

Exactly my point - thanks for making it oh so clear.

He has the up most incentive to get the car to go fast. City manners are way in the back field of his thought process.
Ummm....goofy? Can you please tell me a bit more about my "thought process"? Funny, I don't believe you're a shrink, and if you were, you sure wouldn't be mine. As for city manners, I drove mine to work this morning. 4.56 gears and G-Force tranny and all. Golly wally, it didn't mind the shifting one bit.

glad you're paying attention
Wish you would start, but I digress.

hell I didnt know you still drove your car to work? That has to suck breaking it down after every event then driving it back into work. I think my stress level would be through the roof.

Nick

cosby, without the T5 you would have backed off to 4.30s in a heartbeat. Why do you keep dancing around this fact? Piss-poor drivability with a 3.37 first and broken shafts on the 2-3 and 3-4 exchanges? Damn, that could have happened just as easily in a "street" race with radial tires, forget about drag strip launches on slicks. LOL

back full circle: take bob's advice on wild gearing, sure. I've never argued the performance end. But put a crow bar in that wallet and plan for the inevitable tranny swap to a T5. Because you're going to need it.

How about the bellhousing on the T5? Fill us in on the full T5 swap from a T45. How much is this adventure going to cost one who started off with just a simple gear swap in mind??? And here I thought the whole pony car gig was about affordability.... LOL

mogs01gt said:
hell I didnt know you still drove your car to work? That has to suck breaking it down after every event then driving it back into work. I think my stress level would be through the roof.

Nick
LOL. Nah, we've only had to tear it down once after a race, and hopefully won't have to do it again (we were quite legal). It definately would get old in a hurry.

Now back to someone telling me what I would and wouldn't do if this that and/or the other had happened...

JBVobra said:
cosby, without the T5 you would have backed off to 4.30s in a heartbeat. Why do you keep dancing around this fact?
That "fact" is nothing but a fantasy in your head. I ran a T45 and 4.56s for over 2 years - nearly 50,000 miles. What "fact" am I "dancing around" again?

Piss-poor drivability with a 3.37first
You make a good broken record, but you are so wrong it is beyond funny. Hint: If you want to find a good reason not to go to 4.56 (or more) gear, it doesn't have anything to do with 1st gear. Nothing at all. But then again, having never driven one, you wouldn't understand this, would you?

and broken shafts on the 2-3 and 3-4 exchanges?
Ya'll kindly excuse Jeff here. He has reading comprehension problems. He has this idea in his head that it was the rear gear that broke the input shafts in my tranny. No amount of logic or actual experience will convince him otherwise.

Damn, that could have happened just as easily in a "street" race with radial tires, forget about drag strip launches on slicks. LOL
Breaking input shafts? Not likely - but then, I know why they broke. You don't.

back full circle: take bob's advice on wild gearing, sure. I've never argued the performance end. But put a crow bar in that wallet and plan for the inevitable tranny swap to a T5. Because you're going to need it.
Bologna. But again, one should take whatever advice one feels comfortable with.

Let's see.....person A has been there and done it. Not on the internet, in real life. Person B jabber jaws on the internet pretending he knows it all because he has a wundercar and is the worlds best stock Bullitt driver (just ask him). Hmmm...lets see.

I'll take person A for $299, Alex...but I'd like some more input from others with relevant experience.

Oh, Alex? Person B is obviously an internet racer. Please throw him out. Thanks.

How about the bellhousing on the T5? Fill us in on the full T5 swap from a T45. How much is this adventure going to cost one who started off with just a simple gear swap in mind??? And here I thought the whole pony car gig was about affordability.... LOL
The irony of this quote is awesome.
Hey Jeff....other than all the millions of invalid reasons you've given for not going with the gear I have, what do you think might be another reason I have a T5 instead of a T45? Come on, even though you are a wanna-be internet racer, I know you get to the track from time to time. What is it about your wundercar that Tech would kick you off the track for not having, related to the drivetrain. Come on, I know you can do it.

Hint: The word combines the following:

1) something you hear coming from a church on Sunday mornings
2) what some folks call the government projects you live in

Oh, and its made of steel vice aluminum.

Come on big boy, you can figure it out. Tis the biggest clue (and reason) I originally went with the T5 (has nothing to do with gearing, I can assure you).

:spot:

hotmustang331 said:
The guy I was posting too had a Z28 auto with STOCK suspension and STOCK tires...NOT a drag car.And he was claming to run 12.2s. So I dont know what your talking about, if he had slicks or maybe just some suspension and wider tires I wouldnt of said anything.I know you can get 12s with slicks a stuff, but he didnt have any of that so thats why I brought up the stock Z06 and how its time was slower than his...SOME HOW LOL.So be sure to read the post FULLY please. :D

Take a look at the difference in the two cars. How many automatic Z06s have you seen?

None.

The right torque converter in a auto LS1 can make a huge difference in times. I went from a 13.1 to a 12.2. Also, look at my 60' time versus what a stock Z06 pulls. 1.687 vs an average 1.9.

Z06s (02 and newer) have run 11.9s stock. Not the norm though.

There were a ton of people from this board and our local one that were there with me that day. N205OH (Chris) from this board was there with me. Maybe he will see this and post up.

There have been better 60's than mine on stock tires.

Here is a question for you to answer based on your question that you asked me:

How can a car that has the same rwhp as a Z06 (350rwhp-360rhwp is in the righ area for a full bolt on LS1) but weigh more and be less areodynamic run mid to low 11s?

coughgearingcoughconvertercoughdrivercough

Oh. Sorry. ;)

BTW...haven't one or two folks claimed bone stock 11.7x times out of their Z06s? Prices for used 2002's are coming down quick...quite temping!

crosby, you remind me alot of the mullets running around the ls1 forums that say a 240/236 .612 lift cam "ain't that bad" on daily driving. "We can make it idle, i promise".... ya right. Maybe you can, but it's at such a level it's not very fun to drive at low speed and alot of the low end tq has vanished.

this is almost identical scenario. 4.88 pleas (originally) is completely wreckless advice. Funny how your tone changed to "4.30s are perfect for a street car IMO..." LOL

I see your hypocritical ways haven't changed much. Just can't admit when you're wrong :rolleyes:

JBVobra said:
Hey, now that's original! Never seen that before!

you remind me alot of the mullets running around the ls1 forums that say a 240/236 .612 lift cam "ain't that bad" on daily driving. "We can make it idle, i promise".... ya right. Maybe you can, but it's at such a level it's not very fun to drive at low speed and alot of the low end tq has vanished.
Ok. Whatever.

BTW....I had a .603 lift/.23x duration cam in my daily driver 5.0. With speed density. And 4.30 gears. Ran 11.9s on stock heads/intake. Wanna make unfounded stupid statements about that, too? Please.

this is almost identical scenario. 4.88 pleas (originally) is completely wreckless advice.
Hello Capt Obvious. Please go back and find me somewhere, anywhere that "advised" someone to get 4.88s. Please. Quote me.

Of course you cannot, because I never said that - nor implied it. You're reaching, Jeffrey. The first time 4.88s were brought up was in a post you made right after I replied to someone else.

Don't take my word for it....go back to page 3 and look for yourself.

Funny how your tone changed to "4.30s are perfect for a street car IMO..." LOL
Bzzzt. Incorrect. I never once changed my tone. One only needs to go back to the beginning of our little, uh, discussion and read for themselves.

I see your hypocritical ways haven't changed much.
If you think I'm being hypocritical, I'm likely doing something right.

Many thanks for the compliment.

Just can't admit when you're wrong :rolleyes:
LOL...once again, look in the mirror, shippy.

I'm wrong all the time. If I'm wrong here - quote me. Bring it here, in your next reply, for all to see. :D

Oh...btw...are you going to get all pissed off like this again, then go run off back to whatever Forum you normally post at? (FYI for those not in the know....JBVobra used to post as "EBLU-BY-U" on LS1.com...before he was banned)

Without reading past midway thru the second page I decided to point out a few of this guy's (mustanglife) mistakes.

Quote: A bolt on stock head and cam ls1 will put down 365 rwhp give or take with ls1 edit.

Is this what the LS1 types have you thinking? LOL, another person dazzled and amazed with infamous LS1 math. Heads and cam LS1=much more than 365rwhp, they put down anywhere from 290-320rwhp out of the box (GM underrated them by quite a bit)...more like 400rwhp with heads and cam. With the spray they put down around 500.

Quote: One of the ls1 cars is a 96 lt1 with a ls1 conversion on the stock short block. Had stage 2 p&p heads, some kind of comp cam i think, full exhaust long tubes 3inch's all the way back with a cut out. ls6 intake, Drag springs in the front with drilled out stock shocks, bmr rear suspension, 3.73 through a t-56. Hes done weight reduction, relocated battery, ls1 edit, weld wheels too, 26 inch et drags, This guy ran a best of 7.20-7.30 trapping 102 mph in the 1/8 with a 1.55 short time. This same guy also ran a 6.58 in the 1/8 mile on a 150 wet kit and 75 dry kit when he was still on stock heads and cams.

Are you serious? This car is a LS1 owners wet dream...it's about as modded as you can get for a "bolt on LS1". BTW, I see you failed to mention how much power this car was making.

Quote: Ok lets say the ls1 car he is running is stock long block with a s-trim vortech and he has full exhaust. Well that ls1 is gonna put down 480-550 depending on the tune and the exhaust. Local guy here with a 01 or 02 c-5 has 1 7/8 Kooks Long Tubes, Kooks Y-pipe, and some kinda catback with a p1=sc dynoed 524 rwhp. To do that on a 4 valve he needs to get a built shortblock and a novi 2000 or a jt-trim.

Are you not aware of compression? LS1's have much higher compression than mustangs, that is the main reason why 99% of them go the nitrous route.

Seriously this is the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life. Ford made the GT mustang a wussy car straight out. If you cant admit that, then your truely sad. The Cobra/Saleen/Mach 1 are good cars, but the stock GT sucks.

Doesnt matter what you say, or boast about how great your mustang is, unless its one of the three above, you have a suck ass car.

Camaros/Firebirds with the LS1's/LS6's are probably one of the "Best Buy" for american muscle, as the are outfitted with the 345hp 5.7L corvette motor. Not to mention they are restrictive, and with headers, intake and a few minor mods, they can seriously have hella horsepower.

And as for the comment of Camaros not in production anymore, you might wanna read up on it, 2007 GM will be releasing the GT Killer, just like they did in the 60's. Its a cat and mouse game, they let Ford take the lead for a bit, then WHAM come in with the killer. Do not forget the New Pontiac GTO's will have 400HP from the factory, with the LS2 motor. That should give you guys that think GT's are fast something to ground yourself with. Stock for stock an LS1 Camaro/Firebird will beat a 4.6GT all day long. Someone posted above that if they had the same gearing, hp, mods the GT would win because its 200lbs lighter, give me a break a 260hp motor vs a 345hp motor, what the hell do you plan to do to upgrade the hp/torque, ITS NOT EVER GOING TO BE EVEN STOCK FOR STOCK, stop torturing yourselves. You got caught buying a wussy american car now deal with it. You wanna beat LS1's go buy a Cobra, or a Mach1, then do some modding and MAYBE you'll be able to stick with a "STOCK" LS1. Not to mention ANY upgrades to an LS1 will MuRdEr you. Check the video below.

www.streamload.com/Cadence/2000Taownz.wmv

1st stang 1 1/2 cars head stock, had intake, exhaust, and some other light mods, beat him by 1 1/2 cars that = 3 cars behind.

2nd stang, launched off the line so hard he quit within 1/16 mile. Sad. Keep in mind that LS1 is stock, so the comment of stock for stock doesnt apply. Mods done to the stang wont help you unless your spraying. Line up with an LS1 on juice and see what it does to your stang on Juice.

Bottom line dont bash another american car, you wanna make it fast to beat it fine, but there is no need to talk B.S. about a car in which your friends, parents, grandparents, AND local law enforcement drive i.e. California CHP uses LS6 Camaros

Flame me all you want, your stang will never, EVER, E-V-E-R beat my car. Did I forget to mention EVER?

Mr Candi....I'm not going to flame you, rather, I'm going to educate you. Please grab a glass of Kool-aid (I assume your Mom made some this morning) and sit down for the lesson. K? Cool.

Cadence said:
Seriously this is the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life. Ford made the GT mustang a wussy car straight out. If you cant admit that, then your truely sad. The Cobra/Saleen/Mach 1 are good cars, but the stock GT sucks.
Color me truely sad. The GT Mustang is not as fast as the LS1 twins, but it is still a solid, quick, fun car.

Doesnt matter what you say, or boast about how great your mustang is, unless its one of the three above, you have a suck ass car.
Wow - have a bad day at summer school today? That's pretty narrow-minded of you. Perhaps you'll grow out of it? (ppsst...I won't hold my breath).

Camaros/Firebirds with the LS1's/LS6's are probably one of the "Best Buy" for american muscle, as the are outfitted with the 345hp 5.7L corvette motor.
No doubt they are nice, very powerful cars. I had one. 99 T/A. Outstanding powerplant. Didn't care for the car that was wrapped around it.

And please drop the "Corvette motor" business. That line is for old men and young girls that you might need to try and impress.

Not to mention they are restrictive, and with headers, intake and a few minor mods, they can seriously have hella horsepower.
"Hella" power? Playground language?

Anyways, most cars respond well to exactly what you posted above. Even those "wussy" GTs.

And as for the comment of Camaros not in production anymore, you might wanna read up on it, 2007 GM will be releasing the GT Killer, just like they did in the 60's.
2007. My goodness, I took a gander at my watch and it said 2004! Holy timewarp batman, we gotta wait almost 3 years for the newest wundercar to hit the streets!

But that's ok...cause when it does, it will be the end all of performance...just ask Candi. He knows.

Its a cat and mouse game, they let Ford take the lead for a bit, then WHAM come in with the killer.
Ya. Hey, you sit on GM's board of directors?

Do not forget the New Pontiac GTO's will have 400HP from the factory, with the LS2 motor. That should give you guys that think GT's are fast something to ground yourself with.
"Ground yourself with"? Hooked on ebonics? The LS2 promises to be a fantastic motor, btw. Perhaps you'll be able to afford one some day.

Stock for stock an LS1 Camaro/Firebird will beat a 4.6GT all day long.
Correct. Welcome to the last decade.

Someone posted above that if they had the same gearing, hp, mods the GT would win because its 200lbs lighter, give me a break a 260hp motor vs a 345hp motor, what the hell do you plan to do to upgrade the hp/torque, ITS NOT EVER GOING TO BE EVEN STOCK FOR STOCK, stop torturing yourselves.
I think you might have reading comprehension problems. Been to Jeff's school of posting, have you?

You got caught buying a wussy american car now deal with it.
You got caught being a smart-ass punk kid trying to sound like you know what you're talking about. Now deal with it.

You wanna beat LS1's go buy a Cobra, or a Mach1, then do some modding and MAYBE you'll be able to stick with a "STOCK" LS1.
There is a guy local to me that runs 9.6s with a 2V 2000 GT. While a handful of LS1s have gone quicker, it is quite rare. The point? At the track, all bets are off, and your silly statement only shows what you really are - an uninformed overhormoned kid.

Grow up.

Not to mention ANY upgrades to an LS1 will MuRdEr you.
"MuRdEr"? My 11 year old likes to see words typed like that. Tells you something, huh?

Any upgrades? Boy, I smell a wager coming. You up for it, Jr?

Check the video below.

1st stang 1 1/2 cars head stock, had intake, exhaust, and some other light mods, beat him by 1 1/2 cars that = 3 cars behind.

2nd stang, launched off the line so hard he quit within 1/16 mile. Sad. Keep in mind that LS1 is stock, so the comment of stock for stock doesnt apply. Mods done to the stang wont help you unless your spraying. Line up with an LS1 on juice and see what it does to your stang on Juice.
Wow. You convinced me. No no, really.

Bottom line dont bash another american car
Uh. Jr? Isn't that exactly what you just did above? Is not the GT an "American car"? And did you not do your best to bash the hell out of it?

Dumb and dumber. Go watch it sometime.

you wanna make it fast to beat it fine, but there is no need to talk B.S. about a car in which your friends, parents, grandparents, AND local law enforcement drive i.e. California CHP uses LS6 Camaros
ROFLOL. So many things wrong with this statement. Are you even old enough to have a car? I can believe your parents do, but you? Nah.

Flame me all you want, your stang will never, EVER, E-V-E-R beat my car. Did I forget to mention EVER?
Bhahahahahahahaahahahahahaha. I just love it when blubbeing idiots say things like this. Where do you live, goofball? I bet I can setup a race between you and a n/a 2V GT. Bring your video camera - we'll enjoy it.

Cadence said:
Camaros/Firebirds with the LS1's/LS6's are probably one of the "Best Buy" for american muscle, as the are outfitted with the 345hp 5.7L corvette motor. Not to mention they are restrictive, and with headers, intake and a few minor mods, they can seriously have hella horsepower.
And as for the comment of Camaros not in production anymore, you might wanna read up on it, 2007 GM will be releasing the GT Killer, just like they did in the 60's. Its a cat and mouse game, they let Ford take the lead for a bit, then WHAM come in with the killer. Do not forget the New Pontiac GTO's will have 400HP from the factory, with the LS2 motor. That should give you guys that think GT's are fast something to ground yourself with. Stock for stock an LS1 Camaro/Firebird will beat a 4.6GT all day long. Someone posted above that if they had the same gearing, hp, mods the GT would win because its 200lbs lighter, give me a break a 260hp motor vs a 345hp motor, what the hell do you plan to do to upgrade the hp/torque, ITS NOT EVER GOING TO BE EVEN STOCK FOR STOCK, stop torturing yourselves. You got caught buying a wussy american car now deal with it. You wanna beat LS1's go buy a Cobra, or a Mach1, then do some modding and MAYBE you'll be able to stick with a "STOCK" LS1. Not to mention ANY upgrades to an LS1 will MuRdEr you. Check the video below.
Bottom line dont bash another american car, you wanna make it fast to beat it fine, but there is no need to talk B.S. about a car in which your friends, parents, grandparents, AND local law enforcement drive i.e. California CHP uses LS6 Camaros

OHHH MY GOSH, what crap. Corvette motor :rlaugh: :lol: wow trying to impress is un-knowledged folk?? I think you may mean the Millennium motor, which is what the engineers were calling it. LMAO I guess this guys Camaro must run deep in the 6s or something.

No our cars dont suck ass, YOU SUCK ASS.

you are definitely the biggest smuck running around the internet crosby. that ls1 thread just points that out. Completely unistigated, you baited me by calling me a rather bad name, and I told you exactly what I thought of it. I see you can still dish it out, but can't take it. Get over it. You're a complete idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.