Mannnn... you guys better go fill up now.

GRGT1994 said:
Mmmm. I see sarcasm is lost on this one.
it just makes me sick that most everyone blames the station on the gas prices and thinks they are making all of the big bucks when that is no where near true. I hear it a lot every day at work and I just want to reach over the counter and smack the person who said it.

• Sponsors (?)

I heard on the news yesterday that it cost $4.00 to get the oil out of the ground and into a barrel. What is it costing us, $69.00?

I also saw where they are making $2400.00 a second. I did not catch who they are, but I am guessing the people who have the oil.

Its not the gas station owners, thats for sure. My uncle owns one and only makes about a cent or two on a gallon of gas. Its the companies who sell the gas that are to blame. Mobil, hess, and all the others talk with eachother to set prices, its a bit of a conspiracy, but aparently the government cant do anytying about it. So basicly, blame OPEC and the oil companies, not the gas stations who are making pennies on a gallon of gas.

Striped5.0 said:
Gas just got to $2.99 for 93 octane $2.79 for 87. Guess that wont last long if the prices go up again like they say.
our gas prices just went down to thoes. Was up to 3.09 for regular not to long ago.

we make 3 cents a gallon for reg, 4 cents for plus, 5 cents for supreme, bush gets the rest of the profit.

This is really retarded...

I just filled up at 104 cents per litre (someone do the conversion) because it's supposed to go up to 170 cents per litre before the end of the day. People were fighting and bickering at the gas station, because there was a line about 2 city blocks long and people were butting in front of others, afraid that they'd end up paying horrible prices. It's getting really bad up here...really bad, and I can assume it's gonna get alot worse.

I just a term paper on a similar topic, more related to aviation fuel, but my research covered the same stuff. It's all about the scarcity of oil, I don't remember the figures exactly, but consumption is almost equal to production. Say they(all prouducers) produce 1 million barrels a day, we're(the world) are using 900,000. And the wells aren't filling themselves back up. Also, the refineries, are maxed out, they're redlined as far as pruduction, sure they can suck more oil out, but they need the tooling to do it, and, as found in my research, the last major refinery was consturcted inthe 70's, not designed to handle today's demands. To top it off, the geoligists aren't having alot of luck finding new fields. The 70's gas scare was OPEC f'ing with us, as is not the case now, they're maxed out as well. Supply and demand.
If you look at Europe, we got it good. When I lived in Germany, I filled my Focus up at Ramstein Airbase's fuel station (US prices for military members) cost me ~15 bucks. Drove down to Paris, had to fill up on the way back cost 44 euros, whicha t the time was about 60 bucks, this was a few years ago, when gas wasn't so high. Anyway, try a Google search, with fuel/oil price, lot of info out there on the subject.
May your tank never run dry...good luck
Brian

SWYZ721 said:
Around Detroit you can find a gas varying up to 25 cents from station to station, and ALL the owners are Arab/Middle Eastern. Seems like gouging to me.

Also do they have people that check to see whether the pumps are actually pumping what they claim?

by me the the arabs are always cheaper than all the rest :shrug:. citco and sunoco will be 25 cents less than shell or mobil.

1105 said:
First off let me say I work at a gas station, so be careful what you say....

Another thing, the owners of the gas station have no say AT ALL about what they have to set the prices to. Yes there will be some stations that raise the prices insanely high, but it's the oil companies who are incharge of the gas prices. When the price of oil goes up, so does the gas.

If you find a decent place they won't be trying to make an arm and a leg off of gas. And if you're going to complain about their high prices, just don't buy gas from them or report the place to the authorities and it'll get fixed. I love how people think the stations are making TONS of money off of gas. On a good day selling around 800 gallons of gas we only made a $25 profit. Yea... thats a lot of money huh? The places get most of their income from selling other goods such as food, lotto tickets, drinks, etc.

I talked to 2 gas station owners/friends and they said a $25 profit a day wouldn't keep you in business. :bs: As to OPEC statements, they are right. OPEC charges $65 after it takes costs them $7 barrel to pull it out of the ground. Then the gas companies of America rake in HUGE profits on top of that.

Pokageek said:
I talked to 2 gas station owners/friends and they said a $25 profit a day wouldn't keep you in business. :bs: As to OPEC statements, they are right. OPEC charges $65 after it takes costs them $7 barrel to pull it out of the ground. Then the gas companies of America rake in HUGE profits on top of that.
yea, $25 would not keep you in business but all of the mechanic work we do there does. Not all gas stations are convient stores. Our profit comes in from servicing cars so take your :bs: away.

Im not sure how exactly to explain this, but I think gas spikes are just a way to cover up increasing gas prices. Have you ever noticed that everytime prices jump way up, whenever they go back down to "normal" prices its always 10-20 cents higher than it was before the spike. People don't seem to care too much about that small increase, they just think "at least it's not $3.xx anymore". In a couple years we'll be paying something like $3.29 a gallon regularly and people won't mind that much because it just spiked to around $4 for about a month.

Gas prices for today in my area.

$2.59 reg
$2.69 plus
$2.79 premium

I just went to the store pulled up and filled up my dads truck. All in about 5-8min.

With the huricane it's worse at the food stores than at the gas station down here right now.

DarkProphet said:
Its not the gas station owners, thats for sure. My uncle owns one and only makes about a cent or two on a gallon of gas. Its the companies who sell the gas that are to blame. Mobil, hess, and all the others talk with eachother to set prices, its a bit of a conspiracy, but aparently the government cant do anytying about it. So basicly, blame OPEC and the oil companies, not the gas stations who are making pennies on a gallon of gas.

not that the government cant do anything about it, its more that the government is in bed with the oil companies! the government subsidizes the big oil companies!!! why??? in the first quarter of 2005 alone, exxon-mobil's PROFITS were around 13 billion dollars! tell me that is not ****ed up.

1994Vib.RedGT said:
not that the government cant do anything about it, its more that the government is in bed with the oil companies! the government subsidizes the big oil companies!!! why??? in the first quarter of 2005 alone, exxon-mobil's PROFITS were around 13 billion dollars! tell me that is not ****ed up.

:damnit: :fuss: :damnit: