manual clutch linkage/header clearance

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and i have a 78 granada. I know my car is similar to early 70's mustangs, so i figured I'd see if any of yall have any input for me.

I have a set of headers from flowtech for a 73 mustang currently on my grenade. I had a c4, and am converting to a t-5 and have the complete mechanical linkage i would like to use. does anyone have a 73ish mustang running a mechanical linkage and headers? just wondering if i'm gonna have clearance issues or not, and if so, what anyone's done to remmedy thier problem.

Thanks so much!

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

Hello, I'm new to the forums, and i have a 78 granada. I know my car is similar to early 70's mustangs, so i figured I'd see if any of yall have any input for me.

I have a set of headers from flowtech for a 73 mustang currently on my grenade. I had a c4, and am converting to a t-5 and have the complete mechanical linkage i would like to use. does anyone have a 73ish mustang running a mechanical linkage and headers? just wondering if i'm gonna have clearance issues or not, and if so, what anyone's done to remmedy thier problem.

Thanks so much!

Adam

I have a '73 Mach that I converted to first a four then a five speed. I'm using the stock mechanical linkage and I also have Hooker long tube headers. The clearance is tight but there in NO rubbing at all. You'll be fine.

post some pics of the granada!!! i've always had a soft spot for granada's especially the ESS versions. i almost bought a 78 ESS from wrecking yard i worked at in high school. it was a 351 4spd car with ac, a sunroof and power seats. pretty cool car unfortunately they weren't able to sell it to me because of some stupid law that had something to do with the car being impounded and not sold at the police auction or some crap. too bad, because the body and interior were pretty much perfect. the paint was faded and someone had robbed the engine and trans. it even still had the 9" rearend (drum brakes)

here is one of my favorite granadas

Attachments

• granada-ess-5.jpg
    granada-ess-5.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 83
I have never had a Granada, but I know the Z-bar is much the same as Stang, Maverick, Cougar, etc...
If the driver's side header has 2 tubes run together high, and 2 tubes low, like in the pic, you should be fine.
That big open spot between the pairs of tubes is there for the linkage.
big-12100flt_w.jpg

Good luck
Dave

Attachments

• big-12100flt_w.jpg
    big-12100flt_w.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 71
Bnickel, that yellow one is "kev's granada" i've seen it around on the net before, looks like a very nice car. I have a gallon of John Deere yellow I plan to paint my car with this summer, should be simmilar in color. I've got a half gallon of black as well, and plan to do a set of racing stripes. That's more than enough paint. I can't wait to get this cleaned up!

That second granada, the ESS is sweet. I'm currently running a set of 14" keystone classics, but would like to get 15's because nobody sells anything wider than 245's for 14 rims, that aren't drag slicks anyway...

ratio4:10:
If the driver's side header has 2 tubes run together high, and 2 tubes low, like in the pic, you should be fine.
That big open spot between the pairs of tubes is there for the linkage.

...Yep, that's what mine look like. I should be golden then... Thanks!

I get some more pics up sometime in the near future, maybe find a spot to start a thread just to track my progress on this for those that may be interested.

I appreciate any feedback from you guys, and thanks for your time!

bnickel, as far as granada forums go, I'd love to find one, but can't find anything pertaining to the american granada. if you know of any good ones, I'd love to check them out!

Thanks,

Adam

At a local auto museum there is a Granada that has a paxton supercharger and a 5 speed. The placard says the paxton was a non-advertised Ford factory option for that year and only available by special order by a fleet manager who had knowledge of the option. Have any of you heard of such a thing? I've never seen or heard of a car like this since. The placard also says the cars was ordered out of Nevada if that helps.

At a local auto museum there is a Granada that has a paxton supercharger and a 5 speed. The placard says the paxton was a non-advertised Ford factory option for that year and only available by special order by a fleet manager who had knowledge of the option. Have any of you heard of such a thing? I've never seen or heard of a car like this since. The placard also says the cars was ordered out of Nevada if that helps.

never heard of that one, however i do remember a few years ago when Hot Rod was doing their dare to be different series withh illustrations they had Tom Taylor
( i think) do a rendering of a Saleen Granada. it was really pretty cool, he started with a 2 door granada ess and added some saleen SSC graphics and wheels. one of my best friends vowed he will build that car some day. i'm still waiting on him to do it though.

never heard of either, that supercharged 5spd granada seems too good to be true. I'm sure the 5 speed wasn't an option, since i don't think any ford was offered with one back then. I don't really believe that they would offer a supercharger on a granada either, but hey, it could happen i guess...

I wanna see that hot rod article, if anyone has it, or links to an online article, that would be sweet to check out...

thanks guys

never heard of either, that supercharged 5spd granada seems too good to be true. I'm sure the 5 speed wasn't an option, since i don't think any ford was offered with one back then. I don't really believe that they would offer a supercharger on a granada either, but hey, it could happen i guess...

I wanna see that hot rod article, if anyone has it, or links to an online article, that would be sweet to check out...

thanks guys

It's been a while since I've seen the car but from what I remember it looks factory down to the console in the car that houses the shifter. I'm going to try to go down tomorrow and see if it's still there and take some pics.

here is one

http://www.americangranada.com/

i looked all over hot rod's wesite and couldn't find anything on that illustration. i probably have the magazine but more than likely it's buried under a ton of other stuff in my storage shed. i have pretty much every back issue of hot rod, car craft, mustang monthly, mustang magazine, mustang illustrated, super ford and popular hotrodding from about 1987 'til now. the problem is that they are all in boxes or mostly old coolers (to keep them dry) and all of those boxes and coolers have a bunch of other stuff on top of them.