Manual Rack and Pinion

mustanglx88

May 20, 2004
OK guys so I finally just finished up the winter project. I finally got the belt setup I always wanted. I got the march idler pulley delete and positive flow water pump and while I was at it deleted the P/S. So now I'm only running the alternator crank and water pump. I put the new black magic extreme fan in and new radiator from ford racing. Well I went the ghetto way for now and just cut the lines on the rack so I can drive it. I know I know it wont last but whatever. Well I know flaming river makes a rack but I dont feel like dishin out all that money for the name right now so where can I get a rack that is either a rebuilt ford manual rack or another different company that makes them new.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know the price difference, but a buddy of mine has run the Flaming River and the UPR manual racks. He prefered the UPR design much better because of the way the joints connected. You could also look into ordering one from the parts store for an older model manual rack car.

I didnt even know that UPR made one but yea I mean I wouldn't mind spending $220 for one but does anyone know if the steering shaft thats in the car now will work with the manual one or do I have to buy the steering shaft as well?

You can find some pretty cheap manual racks on ebay or even go to a parts store and order a manual rack for an older mustang for about 150. You will need to buy a manual steering rack to make it work. They're not cheap, the shaft is gonna cost more than the rack. Flaming river used to make an adapter to use the stock shaft on a manual rack but they discontinued it and it is basically impossible to find. The shaft is about 220 if I remember correctly.

ok so theres no way of getting around spending about $400 for the setup. Well I guess I'm just gunna have to man up and do it. How long do u think the power rack will last without the lines hooked up and without any fluid lol

haha thats funny because I had planned on doing the same thing until I could afford to redo the whole steering system. Putting the pump back on for me isnt really an option. My car is going to be a track car though so I am not too worried. But, being that it is part of the steering system and a safety issue I wouldn't ever recommend someone else doing it on their car, but people have done it before with no consequences other then destroying the rack.