Manual Steering Creaking Noise

dz01

Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
I have a 68 coupe with manual steering. The box, etc. was recently rebuilt with all new components. I'm not sure if it's normal for non PS cars, but when I turn the steering wheel, I hear a creaking noise coming from the column. I recently had the steering wheel off (which looked like it probably had not been off before) and I put some contact lubricant on the metal disc behind the wheel.

I guess my questions are, is creaking normal for a manual steering car? if not, is there a bearing I can grease or replace?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Creaking is not normal for any steering column. There are bearings in it, but creaking ones need to be replaced rather than regreased.

Does it vary at all with steering force? Are you sure it's from the column and not the box or pitman arm? I wouldn't expect replacing everything else to cause the column to start creaking.

Creaking is not normal for any steering column. There are bearings in it, but creaking ones need to be replaced rather than regreased.

Does it vary at all with steering force? Are you sure it's from the column and not the box or pitman arm? I wouldn't expect replacing everything else to cause the column to start creaking.

Thx! Definitely a steering wheel/column creak like closing an old door. Seems pretty consistent too whether cranking hard or more gradual. Is the bushing easy to replace? Assuming that’s at the top of the column? I’ll probably pull the wheel and the signal switch to take a look.

Replaced the column bearing. Upon initial test (sitting in the car off turning side to side) it was quiet! But the more I moved the wheel it slowly came back. Not as often as before but still there. A 52 year old car will squeak and break but this is annoying bc it’s fixable. One guy told me this is a common noise with manual steering cars. Is that true??
what else can I do. My whole steering system has been replaced or rebuilt. The bearing I replaces seemed fine. I have a new wheel and mounting hardware.

One guy told me this is a common noise with manual steering cars. Is that true??

No, it's not true at all.

Creaking is from two things rubbing together usually with a lot of force and with no lubrication. The steering shaft could be rubbing on the column tube, there could be a dry balljoint somewhere...it's practically impossible to diagnose without seeing and hearing it.

could the steering box be loose against frame?
Sometimes the idler arms get old and make noise by going up and down instead of just back and forth.

Oddly, I popped the hood and the noise is actually louder at the bottom of the shaft. The PO put in a MustangSteve lower bearing which I would think is better! I wish I knew what to replace or lubricate.