Manual to auto conversion HELP NEEDED

Lubedube96

Apr 16, 2018
Hey im 16 and just old enough to buy a car and ive found this amazing mustang and the only say my parents will help me buy it is if i convert it from manual to automatic. How do i do this without destroying my chances of converting back

• Sponsors (?)

Why not just find one that's already an automatic? Or what is your parents opposition to driving a stick?

It's not a terribly hard swap, just will take time and $$ tracking down every little part you need. There isn't a kit, and 2.3L parts are harder to find on ebay and in the classifieds than 5.0 parts because not that many people work on 2.3's other than yanking the motor out to put in a 5.0.

Lets start here. What's your skill set? What are you capable of doing? WHo is doing the work? You?

You are going to need the trans, converter, index plate, possibly trans crossmember. A4LD shifter and cable, TV kickdown cable, interior shifter trim and possibly some wiring an an ECU. You can just disconnect the clutch cable and tie it out of the way and zip tie the 3rd pedal back. No need to reroute the speedo cable either. Might need new driveshaft as well. You'll need all the misc hardware as well.

Really the issue is going under the car and pulling the t-5 out, and then getting the A4LD back up into place. After that it's pretty easy. You might need to install an auto ECU however.

Lets start here. What's your skill set? What are you capable of doing? WHo is doing the work? You?

You are going to need the trans, converter, index plate, possibly trans crossmember. A4LD shifter and cable, TV kickdown cable, interior shifter trim and possibly some wiring an an ECU. You can just disconnect the clutch cable and tie it out of the way and zip tie the 3rd pedal back. No need to reroute the speedo cable either. Might need new driveshaft as well. You'll need all the misc hardware as well.

Really the issue is going under the car and pulling the t-5 out, and then getting the A4LD back up into place. After that it's pretty easy. You might need to install an auto ECU however.

So im doing all the work and ive done some drivetrain work in my auto class i have the shop space to be able to swap out the transmission and drive shaft

How much do you think that could put me back

Hard to say. A lot of those parts will need to be obtained used, so depending on how resourceful you are it could be fairly cheap or cost you. You could always get lucky and find someone who is parting out a car that lets you take it all for $100, or go to a boneyard and pull it all yourself.

Finding an A4LD will be your big ticket item. After that, maybe $100-200 for everything else

Your best bet would be to purchase a rusted out $500 or less auto four cylinder car. Typically the cheapest are auto convertibles. Also go over the transmission good before you install it because those a4ld transmissions were very weak.

Hard to say. A lot of those parts will need to be obtained used, so depending on how resourceful you are it could be fairly cheap or cost you. You could always get lucky and find someone who is parting out a car that lets you take it all for $100, or go to a boneyard and pull it all yourself.

Finding an A4LD will be your big ticket item. After that, maybe $100-200 for everything else
Yeah ive seen the auto inlind for 900 but youf saying i can get the resf from the junk yard. And that would be amazing if i could buy. Parts car for 100

Went the other way, auto to stick on my 89 fox notch. Not hard, but you will need all the pcs. The A4LD auto trans does require the auto engine computer to control the torque converter clutch lockup and the shift to overdrive. Also the radiator with the trans cooler and lines.

A rebuild on the auto trans is about $2k. I thought about doing it myself, but I had the stick stuff.

I would buy the stick coupe as quick as possible and just find someone who would want to swap later on. That should be easy.

FWIW the 89 coupe was my daughters first car as a sophomore in HS. She was not really fond of it.

Went the other way, auto to stick on my 89 fox notch. Not hard, but you will need all the pcs. The A4LD auto trans does require the auto engine computer to control the torque converter clutch lockup and the shift to overdrive. Also the radiator with the trans cooler and lines.

A rebuild on the auto trans is about $2k. I thought about doing it myself, but I had the stick stuff.

I would buy the stick coupe as quick as possible and just find someone who would want to swap later on. That should be easy.

FWIW the 89 coupe was my daughters first car as a sophomore in HS. She was not really fond of it.

What i would like to do is have a stick but id need to save up the money myself but if i figure out an auto then they help me buy it

The 2.3 with auto is not an exciting drive. Can they buy the car for you and park it while you make payments to them for it so when the time comes, you can have the manual coupe to drive and enjoy