manual to auto swap help

96 GT JOE

Sep 30, 2004
im thinking of swapping in an auto tranni in place of my manual. im not the best 5 spd driver in the world, so an auto would be much more consistent. i have a 96 gt and i want to know what tranni's i can swap into my car. i know of the aod and the aode. i think i need an aode. i also need a list of the other parts i will need. i have a good hook up with a tranni shop close tp me, so it will be rebuilt, with a shift kit and 3200-3500 stall converter. i was told i could use the same computer too. i think this is close:

aode
flexplate
auto shifter and trim for interior
brake pedal
???

will the driveshaft fit correctly? i have lots of questions. any help will be great!

• Sponsors (?)

What is your plan for the car down the road? How much power are you planning on putting to this tranny?

And before everyone flames you for doing sort of the opposite of what most people seem to do, remember, a properly built auto with a shift kit and a nice stall can run a 5 speed any day.. and get a fat tranny cooler regardless of which one you do.

Let us know your plans so we can give you decent recommendations.

you need

1. transmission

2. pcm ( 5 speed pcm does not contain the info to control the auto. you either need a auto pcm or you have to have the as built data in your pcm changed to include funtions for a auto)

3. wirring harness.

4. driveshaft

5. pedals,shifter and other interior goodies.

I have a tech article on our website (http://www.lasotaracing.com) on how I did mine. As mentioned, you need:
Auto EEC
Auto tranny harness (same year as the tranny you get - they changed)
Shifter, shifter bezel
Transmission (get a '99 or up)
If you have an aluminum DS, you can use it. I added a spacer on mine because it looked to me like I didn't get enough engagement.
Tranny cooler - as big as you can get, preferably a B&M bar and plate cooler with a fan.
Flex plate and new flexplate bolts.
The crossmember will work, just reverse it - that usually works fine.
autpo brake pedal

I THINK that's all, but check out the website...

The biggest challenge was mounting the shifter as the interior tunnels of the auto and 5 speed cars are different heights. I just installed the shifter from the bottom of the car an had to whack the tunnel from underneath with a ball peen hammer for clearance.

One good thing is Ford wired 5speed and auto cars with the same basic harness, so everything you need to plug into is there already.