manual to auto swap

ChrisGT

Jul 21, 2004
Greenville NC
I'm having an issue with the shifter in my 01 GT. As stated I'm converting my manual car to an auto. The auto transmission is bolted in but I'm having a problem with the shifter. The stock auto shifter I have is out of an 02 GT but it won't bolt to my transmission tunnel. Are automatic and 5spd tunnels different or is there a difference in model years. I'd really prefer to use the stock shifter but if I have to use an aftermarket shifter, which would work best with my 01 and still look decent. Keep in mind the car will be FULLY automatic so the shifter would have to work properly. Any idea's on how to get over this hurdle will be greatly appreciated as it's the last thing to do on the swap.

• Sponsors (?)

I am doing it becuase I tore my 3650 up and decided to go with an auto. The auto is built but I don't want to go with a man. valve body or transbrake right now. I will later but not right now. The car is a daily driver and I put about a 1,000 miles a week on the car. I am just looking for something that will be consistent at the track also. I've had my car for about a year and a half now, trading for an auto is not an option.

I have found out that ford built the transmission tunnels differently on 5 spd. and auto's. That's why the stock shifter won't bolt in properly. Now I have to try and rig the stock shifter in or find out which aftermarket shifters work the best on GT's.

i did a manual to auto swap at the same time i did my 5 speed swap, me and my buddy traded trannys, well the tunnels are different it sits higher huh, well i cut out the tunnel and made brackets for the stock shifter, its a PITA but it looks good once its all in there, its hard to explain i wish his car was here so i could show you some pics, it looks good actually, the shifter can sit anywhere since a cable controls it, it's not hard just time consuming, also you might have an issue starting the car, the button that lets the car know the clutch is in will have to be zip tied to the clutch in position or it will not start.

Cantslowdown said:
I think it would have been easyer and cheaper to put a buitl 5 speed in there.

If I'd wanted a built 5 spd. I wouldn't be asking these questions. Price was not the issue in any decision I've made.

Thanks for your help guys, I found out how to fix the problem thanks to help here, corral, and Tim at MPH.