Manual To Power Steering

LJU 65

Jul 6, 2020
Michigan
New to the site.

I have a 1965 Mustang, 289, 4 speed. I have been making suspension modifications.The goal is to keep the spirit of the original mustang but use improved components for better handling / performance. Mostly street driving but intend on a track day and a few autocross events a year. Installed Maier racing pan hard bar and leaf springs in back. I will be installing 600# coil springs, upper & lower roller control arms, Shelby drop, roller spring perches, adjustable strut rods and 1 1/8" sway bar next week. Followed by 4 wheel Willwood disc brakes and new rims and tires in the very near future.

The car has manual steering now (which i like) but I am considering power steering. I have looked into some power steering systems and need your advice.

If you were swapping manual for power steering which aftermarket unit (or original equipment) would you recommend and why?

Lou

Attachments

• IMG_5570.JPG
    IMG_5570.JPG
    665.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5541.JPG
    IMG_5541.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't think you really lose any character. The steering box looks like something 60s/70s/80s and you can use an original pump (it has unusual fittings, but you can't see that). It really looks like a '67 Mustang setup that the box is power. Past the box, you have to get rid of the 1-piece box/shaft combo. You can either add an aftermarket steering column and gain tilt (which is outside the character of the original) or use the original column outer sleeve and buy their conversion kit shaft. Either way you add a rag joint. You can use your original manual steering drag link and tie rods.

i am going back and forth between the borgeson unit and the factory style unit. i will end up looking that real cost between the two units and go wiht the best price.

I have the complete set up...rebuilt gear box, pitman arm, cylinder, bracket, rebuild kit (valve was already rebuilt though and didn't leak), and steering linkages I need to sell if anyone is interested :jester: It's a low mileage factory conversion from manual to power, sans pump. It's off my 68. I converted to a K-member and R&P out of a Cobra...I really need to post a build thread...

If I were to add power steering to a manual steering car....I would go electric power steering with an under-dash unit. Why add all the hydraulic stuff when you can keep it far cleaner with electric? The only real downside I can see to the electric route is that people complain of less-than-ideal return to center...which evidently you get used to fairly quickly. I would take that downside though to avoid having to run a pump, lines and a ram.

I have the complete set up...rebuilt gear box, pitman arm, cylinder, bracket, rebuild kit (valve was already rebuilt though and didn't leak), and steering linkages I need to sell if anyone is interested :jester: It's a low mileage factory conversion from manual to power, sans pump. It's off my 68. I converted to a K-member and R&P out of a Cobra...I really need to post a build thread...
Do you still have that set up and would it fit on a 1966 mercury comet?

I do still have the setup. I don't know if it will fit your Comet. I know it will fit a 67-68 mustang, but I also know Ford used many of the same parts in other vehicles :shrug:

I recommend Electric Power Steering too. I put one in my 66 from https://epasperformance.com/ (column + kit combo) and am very very happy with it. It's also adjustable on-the-fly via a knob you can mount (less assistance for track day to feel the car, more assistance for cruising). Awesome customer service and I highly highly recommend them.
Do you have return-to-center issues as well? Still undecided on whether I want it or not myself.