Manual tranny not staying in reverse

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
Rush, NY
About 60-70% of the time my 98 GT 5 speed pops out of reverse when I try to back up. It feels like it's fully engaged and as I let the clutch out it pops out of gear. There seems to be now ryhme or reason as to why or when it does it.

Any idea why it wouldn't stay in gear? The car hasn't been mistreated, and the tranny works perfectly otherwise. I know reverse isn't synchro'd, so what would cause it to pop out of gear?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have an aftermarket shifter? If so, your lower adjustment bolt is out to far.

If you have the factory shifter take off the boot and see how it looks. Might jave an obstruction or need to be replaced. Def sounds like it is just out of adjustment.

tjm73 said:
About 60-70% of the time my 98 GT 5 speed pops out of reverse when I try to back up. It feels like it's fully engaged and as I let the clutch out it pops out of gear. There seems to be now ryhme or reason as to why or when it does it.

Any idea why it wouldn't stay in gear? The car hasn't been mistreated, and the tranny works perfectly otherwise. I know reverse isn't synchro'd, so what would cause it to pop out of gear?

It sound like you have a bent shift fork. Because reverse is set up differently than other gears (farther reach and throw), you would realize this before any other gears. I had a 89 Dodge pickup that would do this, this was after many hours of beating the hell out of it though. I just had to hold it it reverse, mine was bad enough that it would do it in other gears though, my synchose were also gone. This was my first vehicle. I beat it like it owed me money.

It is the factory shifter. I suspect it is likely a bent shift fork. I was hoping something else could be the cause. I don't have any extra money right now, so I'll live with it untill I can afford to have it fixed.

mrpositraction said:
This was my first vehicle. I beat it like it owed me money.
Now that's funny! :rlaugh: :lol:
Same exact problem with my wife's 01 - and we just live with it. Any idea how much this would cost to fix? I'd imagine just labor to RnR the trannie is like $200...