Manual transmision to automatic swap info needed

95blkstang

Jun 30, 2004
I have a 95 5-speed with only 24000 on the clock. I am looking to use the car as a daily driver and don't want the hassle of a 5-speed everyday.. Is this swap something I could do myself and what exactly will i need to buy and do. Any recomadation for a new automatic tranny. the car is pretty stock excepts for exhaust and 3.27 rear. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I just did the reverse swap. Here's a quick list of what you need:

Tranny & Torque Converter
Shifter and cable
Flex Plate
Need to remove pilot bearing from crank
Transmission Dipstick Tube
Transmission Cooler Lines
Tranny Harness
Pedal Assembly (Assorted jumper plugs)
Driveshaft

I've got a box of parts sitting in my garage with most of the parts including the tranny and torque converter. Either the tranny or torque converter was starting to slip so they would need to be looked at. I live in Northeast Tennessee, so PM me if you are interested. We can work something out.

Labor for the AODE to T5 swap wasn't too bad so I wouldn't expect the reverse to be too much worse. Raising the AODE will be harder than lowering it was, but if you use a tranny jack it shouldn't be too bad.

Barney

I have a tech article on our website (http://www.lasotaracing.com)- it's for doing a 4R70W swap, but a regular AODE would be essentially the same thing. The biggest hassle is the tunnel heights (where the shifter is) are different on an auto and 5 speed, it's no big deal when going from an auto to a 5 speed, but it is when you do the opposite - I came up with an easy fix. In addition to the list posted previously, you'd need an automatic EEC - either a W4H0 or a U4P0.

Don

95blkstang said:
I have a 95 5-speed with only 24000 on the clock. I am looking to use the car as a daily driver and don't want the hassle of a 5-speed everyday.. Is this swap something I could do myself and what exactly will i need to buy and do. Any recomadation for a new automatic tranny. the car is pretty stock excepts for exhaust and 3.27 rear. Thanks

man and here I am wanting to go the otherway.. the freaking AOD drives me insane.. no pick up and go and a mega loss of HP/torque..

cannot stand not having a manual in this stang..

too bad we arnt close we could swap across the 2 cars LOL..