Many Questions, Looking For Help

Tyler Trexler

Aug 16, 2015
Hello gang,

I am new here! I have a 2004 Mustang GT. I have a lot of questions and I am looking for advice or suggestions to what I should do to get where I want with the car.

I'll start by saying my ultimate goal is to get to 400 to 500 rwhp when it is all said and done. I am content to be around 400 and would be extatic to be around 500.

On the car now I just have a cold air intake and Magna flow h-pipe exhaust it looked like. So the car sounds pretty good as it is, but I always want to improve and it certainly needs more power.

I'd like to get a list of all of the stuff I want to do it and start knocking it down as I can afford it. Also including suspension details that comply with engine specs. I have read that if I exceed 400hp I should tweek the suspension accordingly, not sure if that is true. Keep in mind the final thing I want to do is supercharge it because it is so expensive it will take me time to save for it.

My idea so far would be for the suspension

HR springs
Caster camber plates
Tokico d spec shocks/struts
Subframe connectors
Plus whatever I need to adjust in the rear to deal with 400+hp

As far as cams, headers, etc. I could use advice.

Thank in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

First thing you need to get to 400HP is money. Second, more money.

Save yourself some time. Cams are super expensive unless you do the work yourself. Headers are a pain to install on these cars. Unless you have the cash or the ability to do it yourself I'd avoid this route.

Now suspension work? Doable. What you have in your post is a great start. Add some rear control arms to get the rear planted.

If you want to increase the fun factor consider gears. I did 4:10's in my old 96 and have them in my car now but I think 3.73's are a good compromise in getting the power to the ground. I'd like to put 3.73's in my car if I had the cash. 4.10's make 1st gear useless for me.

To get to 400HP quickly, and more economically than breaking into the engine, a supercharger and tune is the way to go. A GT engine is good for about 425HP but after that you are pushing the limits of the internals.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Been a bit busy. You can piece together a kit for around $2000 but that would include everything. I can usually get a kit for around $1500 but that is because I already have the tuning stuff and I keep an upgraded fuel pump installed in my 03 GT.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the delayed reply. Been a bit busy. You can piece together a kit for around $2000 but that would include everything. I can usually get a kit for around $1500 but that is because I already have the tuning stuff and I keep an upgraded fuel pump installed in my 03 GT.
That sounds affordable, thanks for the info :)