Map Light Fix (or Hack)

EBW83

Jul 10, 2017
The map light in my ’83 Mustang GT (with T-Tops) has been non-functional for 15 years or so. The metal latch (which keeps the map light off) and push button ON/OFF switch are MIA due to failure of the plastic housing. After several futile internet searches for a replacement assembly, I decided to come up with a hack (or kludge as we say in the electronics business). For what it is worth, here is what I did:
Map light version used in my car (from Ford manual): Picture matches what I have even though the vehicle application doesn’t include the Mustang or Capri
20180402_153735.jpg
Mine looks like this one (found at ascmclarencoupe.com):
Capture1.JPG
Since the housing supporting the latch was shot, I decided to use a magnetic latch. I’ve got a good collection of small magnets and attached the magnets (using JB Qwik) to the light and housing (between the PB switch and 12V terminal). I found a normally closed PB switch from Digikey (C&K EP12SD1SA1BE) which was a good replacement.
20180823_202628.jpg

It isn’t the most elegant solution but works. I need to take it for a spin to see how well the magnets hold after going over bumps.
20180824_120702.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

• Sponsors (?)