March adjustable alternator bracket.

I took the a/c off my 92 and I really dont like that tensioner relocate kit. Does this bracket work without the tensioner? I thought I read something that it likes to throw belts? Where can I get one cheap, considering March stuff is usually way overpriced.

• Sponsors (?)

The March kit deletes the alternator/smog/tensioner bracket and replaces it with their bracket which deletes the tensioner and airpump, which is more simple. What it uses for a "tensioner" is a tension rod that you turn to get to the right amount of tension and then that is it, no more spring loaded pulley action. I think it cost about $100, which is a little high, but it shure is purdy.

What usually causes thrown belts is either not enough tension, which it will squeel like a pig before it throws the belt, and the pulleys not being aligned. When I put on a new P/S pump I installed the pulley too far in and it shreaded a belt. :doh:

the kit costs $50-$55. I think their par number is MCH-1465 on summitracing.com. I would double check it if thats the right number. I have the kit and it works great, and I dont have a reversed cool water pump, but I have no cooling issues. I run a 38 in belt.

I have the March alt bracket too, I paid closer to $100 from Summit for it. I haven't noticed any premature wear on the serpentine at all, but you have to have it adjusted to the exact correct tension to be safe for the belt as well as the accessories. If you burn up an alternator and don't tell March it was set with a precision belt tension checker, they don't want to hear about it- and that tension gauge isn't a cheap tool considering what it is. Just using the old thumb and forefinger "belt twist" check isn't accurate enough. The stock tensioner pulley actually does have an important job to do, and the March bracket doesn't do it anywhere near as well. I don't like it, but it was cheaper than the stock alternator bracket when mine broke- and it is purdy...

I have this kit too, and I love it. I have no A/C, P/S, or smog and this kit allowed me to do away with the big ugly alt/tensioner bracket. I have the belt running along the left side of the W/P pully, which doesn't cover much of it, but it doesn't slip or squeal...even under quick hard revving, and it runs cool all the time. I use a 38" belt and the belt is still in new condition. I've had the kit on since last summer. I got my kit from Holcomb Motorsports (NC) for around $60.
I had the other March kit before this, the one that moves the tensioner over where the P/S pump was, and I like this kit way better. No more pully and no more alt/pully bracket with no pully in it. Cleans up the engine bay nicely! :nice: