March Performance Underdrive Pulleys Inquiery And Timing Question

jdemolet

Sep 1, 2013
I am curious on the march performance steel pulley kit. has anyone used it and do they work well. and will it be a good increase over stock. and can I adjust my timing til it detonates and back it up

• Sponsors (?)

Never used the steel ones, but have used the Alum sets on several cars. Make sure your cooling and electrical systems are up to par. If you have an auto get the smaller alt pulley. Don't expect 20 hp- it will free up maybe 10. IMO you need a 130 amp alternator before this swap.

For timing, you need a timing light. Mark the timing pointer with white paint and the balancer @ 10 degrees, 12, and 14 also. I With the car warmed up and in nuetral, remove the spout connector- put the spout connector in your pocket. If you use 91 and up gas try it at 12. Replace the spout connector and drive it around. If it doesn't detonate try 14. That normally is the sweet spot.

I like the idea of steel pulleys over the aluminum ones but am still not a proponent of underdrive pulleys in general. I second Mike on the Timing!