Mark VII 5lug / weld wheels question

sgarlic

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2001
My buddy came over today with the parts for the front 5 lug conversion, rotors from a '90 lincoln mark vii, 15x6 welds with 195/60R15's, new pads, and the stock calipers.

After we put it all together, and test fit the wheel, the back of the wheel is rubbing on the front of the calipers. He mentioned that when he asked for rotors from an '88 Mark VII, they didn't show them available, but the '90's were in stock.. is there a difference in rotor thickness or something? And it shouldn't matter anyway since the caliper bolted right back in correctly.

So what do you guys recommend he do? For the front conversion does he need rotors from a different vehicle or something?

• Sponsors (?)

Same rotors...84-92 basically.

If it's rubbing the calipers, it has nothing to do with the rotors. Are you sure they are stock 60mm and not Mark 7 73mm units?

If they are rubbing the calipers, then the weld wheels have the wrong backspacing.

sometimes the weld wheels rub because they have too much backspce. i have 15x4's and the backspacing is 2.75 i think and i had to cut the excess off of the brake pad clip cause the wheel was rubbing on that, it still rubbed a little but not enough to matter. but if i had say a 4.5 inch backspace there would be no way it would fit. try a space like one of those hubcentric ones or sometihng.