Mark VII rear end same as the fox?

Baw289

Nov 7, 2004
I've been looking at putting a new rear end in my 67. I can find an 8.8 out of a Mark VII much easier and cheaper plus they already have discs on them. Anyone know if this could work? All I have seen so far is that maybe its an inch and a half longer, and maybe the pumpkin is offset? Someone please let me know, thanks for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

The housings are the exact same dimensions, but do not have the quad shock mounts, which would not matter for a 67. The differences are in the axle length (they are 1.25" longer, making the complete rear end 2.5" wider) and of course the disc brakes. I have also read that some think the control arm mounts result in a slightly different pinion angle when installed in a Fox, but again, that would not matter for you. Some of them do have traction lock, but the majority of them do not, so you might check that if you have several to choose from. I found out that both wheels will turn in the same direction as you turn one of them if it has traction lock.

We can get a complete Mark VII disc to disc for about $125 locally at our Pick a Part yards. That is what I did when I got my Mark VII rear disc setup. I kept all the brake parts and sold the housing for $25 to a friend.

Good luck on it!