Mark VIII engine swap

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, it has been done and you can find a bunch of info just searching. The Mark VIII intake won't fit against the mustangs firewall, so you'll need a cobra top end. Another option is to throw PI heads and intake on top and enjoy the high compression. :D

ya i read that one. i wouldn't mind doin a mark VIII swap in mine. and throw some c heads and manifold on it. not sure how many rpm's the stock mark VIII bottom end is good for though.

Yeah I'm really not sure which way to go- full Pi swap or Mark VIII engine. I found a guy out in Fullerton who is selling 97 -98' engines for around 950 with the trans and ecu and the harness. Kinda more leaning towards that over the Pi because it seems like you can do more with that block and that engine is already pumping out close to 280 hp.

Just called the guy and he said he only has a 96' left but he'll sell it for $650. He said he gets the cars from auctions, and that this one has around 80k on it. It's already pulled from the car. What do you guys think?

Honestly I'm new to the whole engine building scene so I don't know too much about it. I've done my own mods like headers, throttle body and other bolt on stuff like that before. What exactly is the benefit of using the pi heads on a 4v block? And If I do the engine swap do you guys recommend using a cobra intake? If I just swapped the engine and left it alone other than changing the intake manifold how do you think it would stack up against the 99 and up Mustangs? Is the 280 hp figure close to what Id be making? Sorry for asking so many questions? I don't know anyone else who owns a mustang so I'm kinda working on my own. Thanks.

well if you swap in the 96-98 intake cams, and the cobra intake, it will actually make a slight margin more than a cobra because they dont have a forged crank like the cobra does.. (takes 10lbs off the crank)

but the benefit of a 4v short block on PI heads is that the compression is right under 12 to 1 with this setup, and it makes for a hellaciously fast, snappy combo..

And if u do 2v heads you might as well make them tfs heads. Anyone know how many rpms the stock mark VIII bottom end will spin to with out relieving itself of some rods n pistons.

well some n/a cobra guys are spinning theirs 7500, so i would say it could come close, i know ive had mine a little over 7k on the last motor on spray, and that motor went through almost 2 bottles a week for a couple months, but it hit some insane rpms daily.. then the cylinder wall caved in lol

Trick flow heads look great but are just a little out of my budget right now. Right now I just work part time at Costco. I am a licensed electrician and do some side jobs here and there but there really is no steady work out here now. That's kinda why I would like to keep the entire build under 1200.

Not bad. I might call the guy back who was selling it for 650 to see if he'll take 500. As much as I want to do this part of me just wants to save as much money as I can so I can buy a used 5.0 a couple years from now. Idk. I think that If I put in 4:10's and got over 300 hp I would be pretty happy as far as the power and speed goes. I need to look around online to see how much I can get the cobra manifold for.