Mark VIII fan wiring (Q for the pros)

So I picked up a '98 Mark VIII for $11 the other day at the JY to replace my so-so black magic fan. I did some searches around the interwebs and StangNet and I think I want to follow this wiring diagram more or less, but I don't want to use a fuse link.
My question is would a "slow blow" fuse like a Maxi fuse work, and should I use a 30 or 40 amp fuse? 10ga wire can only hold 30-40 amps right?
FanControl.jpg

And yes I have a 130 amp alt.:D

• Sponsors (?)

You should find that you'll smoke 30 or 40 amp fuses.

Wiring gauge requirements are partially a function of length. Do you have an estimate of how long your load-carrying wires will be?

I bought an 80 amp relay off ebay that gets power directly from the battery and then goes to the fan. I think i paid like $25 for the relay but it's working great. I don't have a fuze wired in yet but it's in the works.

FWIW the fan is unbelievable. I was doing laps at the track and was checking my temp with a laser light and it never got over 185.

I just used some string and I got a rough estimate of 4ft for power wire; and about the gauge I was going by the 10ga (I think) wire on the fan harness.

I was reading some other threads about wiring this fan, and someone metioned to use of a Maxi fuse. Mainly because the MK VIII fan draws about a 100 amps during start up, and 42(?) amps at 14.4(?) volts when running, and a Maxi should handle the start up spike without blowing out.

:shrug:

I'm not a professional car guy, but here's an idea, which perhaps the pros can comment on.

I'm currently using a 50 amp type 1 circuit breaker (PN 782-3001) for each of my two radiator fans. Each fan draws 25 amps continuous current at full speed. But, my two flex-a-lite controllers (PN 33054) start each fan at 60% speed.

"Type 1" means that, if it blows, then it will reset automatically, after it cools off.

I got the circuit breakers at a napa auto parts store.

I like the circuit breakers, in case there's a temporary surge in current, so that my fans will eventually start working again, thereby saving my engine from overheating.

Note that the current for the fan initial startup is triple the normal continuous current, if the fan is started at full speed, according to one source that I read.

So far, the circuit breakers seem to have worked pretty well.

Well I was lurking around the Mark VIII boards (lincolinvscadillac.com) last night and some of them like to make a switch/relay set up to bypass the variable fan speed controller for manual fan control. They're using 40 amp Mega fuse for the bypass (or CB), which is what's in the underhood fuse box from the factory.

Also, I found out that the fan controller is near the condenser on the radiator support and it contains the fan relay (75 amp?), and a fuel pump relay. I might be going back to the JY to pick some of those up.