Market for 70 coupe

CFree

Dec 4, 2019
Lufkin Texas
I've been out of the Mustang Community for a while now... this was My first real car circa 1985 I have kept this thing forever and went through a bunch of money in the late 1990's to get it on the road... it broke down in the early 2000's and we had Kids... so its been sitting there. paint flaking off ect.. ect... It is not a big money car numbers don't match has a 82 model 351W and an AOD out of a 91 LX in it.. I have a young man wanting to buy it and was just looking around to see a ball park of what they are going for solid body almost no rust (one rear QP has some pin holes) new interior I was thinking 4-6K would be the range that would benefit both party's.

• Sponsors (?)

69-70 coupes are behind in desirability compared to 65-68 coupes for sure. I would say they should command roughly the same as a 65-66 coupe...less than a 67-68 coupe(they made a lot more 65-66 coupes than any other years). You say a solid body with almost no rust...but the 1/4s have pinholes? If it has pinholes it has rot...chances are both quarters are shot(at least the lower portions)...most likely the outer wheelhousings as well and who knows where else...personally for a coupe with pinholes in the quarters that is 69-70 coupe I doubt I would pay more than $5000....assuming the rest of the car is in good shape...there is no resale value in a coupe and you are already looking at a few thousand to repair quarters, and wheelhousings by the time you factor in paint...whether its time invested or money invested or some combination of both....that pushes what the buyer is actually paying to $8000...$10000 is what you could hope to get out of a solid(rust free) coupe with decent paint...$15000 with new paint and a rust free (or restored)body. I think the rust is probably worse than you realize based on essentially replacing about 70% of the metal on my 66 coupe when I went in thinking it just needed floor boards and a tail light panel(boy was I wrong). At least the 69-70s dont have the same cowl rust issues the 65-68 ones do(usually...as long as previous owners cleaned the cowls out occasionally)

Reactions: 1 user
thanks, exactly what I was looking for.. just a clarification. yes, one rear 1/4 has a few little pinholes everything else is solid. all pans have been replaced and entire unibody was cleaned primed/painted and undercoated cowls are solid so the Most you wold pay is right in the middle of what I was guessing..

That is just me...I see pinholes, I assume rot...then I automatically assume the rot is worse than I think by a large degree...and floorpans having been replaced would just reinforce that assumption. If it truly was just those pinholes and nothing else at all, I might go as high as $7500 working under the assumption the quarters will have to patched at the very least considering it does have a 351w after all(original 351w car or 302?)

The door tag will have the information, basic engine code, rear end, trans, body color, interior color, etc or a Marti report would give you the factory build log(at a cost). The VIN itself has a certain amount of info as well...as an example mine starts off 6T...meaning it was originally a 1966 model year with the T code engine(200ci I6)....previous coupe of mine was 6C...1966 with the C-code engine(2 barrel 289). The point being, its possible the car you have could actually be one that originally came with one of the rarer engines...J codes are uncommon for coupes for 69 as an example...and 69 is one of the years with a lot of different engine options...a 69 coupe that originally came with a 428 Cobra Jet is going to be worth more than one that came with a I6. A 428 coupe would probably be worth the cost of a full rotisserie restoration....a I6 coupe would never get its value back out of the cost of a full restoration...etc. All things that factor into what someone is willing to pay for a car

Last edited: