Fuel Mass air identify question.

Hey guys, just bought an 87 project car and I am trying to track down what all they have done to the car. It has been converted to mass air, I was told 24# injectors and matching mass air. After looking through some threads here I don't believe that is what the car has. The injectors are orange in color, the mass air is marked,
F4SF-12B579-AA
AFHYO-O2A.

The car runs but is running extremely rich. Has an MSD ignition coil, pro distributor and 6AL box, Elderbrock intake, full length headers, EGR delete and under drive pulleys . Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

94-95 thunderbird/cougar MAF which is a 70mm unit. It is suspected that it is compatible with the a9x but not confirmed.

orange top injectors are 19#.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Have you pulled codes yet?
No, not even sure if the connector is still there. They have cut a bunch of wires off, there is a relay on the passenger side under the air filter with a wire thats just stripped and hanging there. Need to pull my books out and track down what I am missing and make sure they didn't cut something necessary. I guess they were trying to make a drage car out of it and lost interest. Once I find the connector for the code reader I will pull the codes.

Ok that could explain some of the fuel issues then. I did go to pull the codes and the check engine light on the dash doesn't work, go figure lol. If I remember I can use an old test light to get the flashes but Ill have to look through my books. Haven't had a fox body since 2005 so I am a lot rusty on working on them.

87s arent wired for mass air, and therefor no functional check engine light. You can convert to mass air, but without specific wiring the cel still won’t work. You’ll need to use a test light, or a code scanner

87s arent wired for mass air, and therefor no functional check engine light. You can convert to mass air, but without specific wiring the cel still won’t work. You’ll need to use a test light, or a code scanner

Well that explains it, my last was an 89 so I have to get used to this 87. I will check it out tomorrow and report back that codes. Thanks for the help guys.

You can find a lot of good info here

OK guys been a while since I was able to mess with the car. Found my vacuum leak, upper intake has a large crack in it. Also after looking at the computer I discovered it also came out of a Thunderbird like the mass air unit. Pretty sure this wont work and I will need to find a A9L computer if I want things to work correctly. How hard is it to find these computers now?