Massive amounts of brake dust with new SSBC 4 piston kit. Normal?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I have massive amounts of brake dust with my new 4 piston SSBC Force 10 kit. In just 9 miles worth of driving, I get the same amount of dust I do in 3 weeks with the old Cobra 2 piston kit. Is this normal for 4 piston kits or is it just the pads?

SSBC said they included Hawk pads with my kit and they're supposedly "low dust." :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Paint wheels black :D

JK, its the brake pad compound. Better stopping pads (especcialy when hot) tend to make more dust. See if EBC makes Green pads for it. They work great and make verry little dust :nice:

I have massive amounts of brake dust with my new 4 piston SSBC Force 10 kit. In just 9 miles worth of driving, I get the same amount of dust I do in 3 weeks with the old Cobra 2 piston kit. Is this normal for 4 piston kits or is it just the pads?

SSBC said they included Hawk pads with my kit and they're supposedly "low dust." :notnice:

wanna sell your cobra kit? :D

wanna sell your cobra kit? :D

well the cobra kit isn't looking too good right now d: it's kinda damaged :(

JK, its the brake pad compound. Better stopping pads (especcialy when hot) tend to make more dust. See if EBC makes Green pads for it. They work great and make verry little dust :nice:

do you know what pads i'd use for SSBC 4 piston calipers? do they use the same pads as the PBR Cobra calipers?

Sera, I think what you need to do is wear them in properly with seating. Look into it, or ask the guys at your shop (although, if they knew about it, they sure as hell should have done it for ya considering the money you spent on the kit). The kind of pad wear you are talking about sounds a bit excessive. I know good brakes may wear a bit faster on the pads, but not like that.

My EBC Greens were NASTY when I was bedding them in.

They put out a shat ton of dust for the first little while, now they emit VERY little dust at all. Its great, and they bite hard...:nice:

Yeah my EBCs were the same. First week sucked, second week they were cleaner than the stockers.

Seraphita, IDK about which one to use though, sorry.

you need to contact the manufacturer, SSBC, and get teh FMSI for the pads they use. you can then see if that FMSI is used on any cars, or if you are limited to using SSBCs own pad.

I contacted SSBC and they said they use the pads from a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT brake kit, etc.

Yeah my EBCs were the same. First week sucked, second week they were cleaner than the stockers.

Seraphita, IDK about which one to use though, sorry.

My EBC Greens were NASTY when I was bedding them in.

They put out a shat ton of dust for the first little while, now they emit VERY little dust at all. Its great, and they bite hard...:nice:

Sera, I think what you need to do is wear them in properly with seating. Look into it, or ask the guys at your shop (although, if they knew about it, they sure as hell should have done it for ya considering the money you spent on the kit). The kind of pad wear you are talking about sounds a bit excessive. I know good brakes may wear a bit faster on the pads, but not like that.

I hope my brake dusting lessens the severity of dust soon, thanks guys :)