Progress Thread Matt's 93 Lx - Running Issues

mattyv

Feb 1, 2016
New York
Hey guys, I figured I would start a progress thread in order to get some advice/photo documentation/etc. I picked up the car at the end of December, 2015. This will be a build that progresses as money, time, and craigslist findings allow. Here it is on the first day I got it home:
IMG_20151227_115258953.jpg

it needed a little TLC and some trim paint but I think I got it for a decent price. It had shorties, a very hacked up X pipe, cheap mufflers and cheap tails. Broken driver mirror, broken pass door handle, blinkers didn't work, radio didn't work, the SPOUT was missing, and it needed new rear tires. Also had (and still has) lowering springs, MSD coil, BBK CAI, BBK 70mm TB and spacer, a yellow top that wasn't strapped down, and some underdrive pullies and that's about it for the mods. It even had the smog pump still. Pulled it in the shop a few days later:
IMG_20151228_181424508.jpg

At first glance it needed an inner tie rod badly, and the rack was puking fluid all over. So in went a new rack. Also did a full tune up including a parts store distributor since the PIP was shot in the current one. A bad TFI on the new dizzy left me hunting around for a few days but all is fixed now. Ford racing wires, Motorcraft plugs, cleaned and oiled air filter. The IAC was new from the old owner but I cleaned it out anyway. TPS was new as well. Set the idle and TPS etc and it ran much better but still had a little bog off-idle. The surging idle checklist was a HUGE help here. And yes, I hate that chip on the front fender. Another shot of it in the shop.

IMG_20160305_132404658.jpg

That first day also did passenger side door handle and door lock actuator. The blinkers took a while to figure out. Turns out that some hack decided the 12v supply into the distribution block didn't need to be in the correct slot since the clip broke, and just stuck it in any slot that was open. Of course the seller told me that "it worked yesterday, the fuse must have blown again" This is pretty much how it sat after that day:
IMG_20160123_120823577.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Remember that off-idle bog from before? This was why:
IMG_20160309_184159072.jpg

I'm not sure how 24 lb injectors ended up in there, and I probably don't want to know lol. Used stockers from a local guy for $40 and new caps, orings etc:

IMG_20160319_090519042.jpg

Runs WAY better now, obviously. I also added a SN95 MAF while i was at it. I picked up a nice 2.5 OR H-pipe and a flowmaster catback with stainless tails from craigslist. Crappy night pic, but I love the etching:
IMG_20160313_221627979.jpg

It also got an e-bay find Down's shifter. I don't have a pic of it, but I fixed the boot with LMR stuff later on.
IMG_20160130_151847274.jpg

And a Pioneer radio I had laying around from my old pickup. The stock premium radio wasn't putting out any sound. The screen is useless but bluetooth audio is nice.
129496.jpeg

To skip forward a bit, the struts and shocks were, I think, original OEM pieces. I picked up some KYB stuff for pretty cheap. I only got the struts installed with Steeda CC plates, and all aligned. Here is the engine bay as it sits now:
IMG_20160324_182008895.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
These Michelin pilots were listed on CL as 255/50r16 so i figured they were perfect for the rear. My friend grabbed them for me and they turned out to be 225/50r16, so on the front they went.
received_10100376632941536.jpeg

I also scored a lightly used set of FRPP 3.73s from CL. Picked up a gear install kit from LMR and my buddy had a new set of standard traclok clutches that he gave me. I haven't had the chance to install it all yet but it's on the list. Also have some weld in subframe connectors and torque box plates that will go in when time allows
IMG_20160408_204607381.jpg

124123.jpeg

Here's the car at a local meet:

Snapchat-1352077475552190337.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
These Michelin pilots were listed on CL as 255/50r16 so i figured they were perfect for the rear. My friend grabbed them for me and they turned out to be 225/50r16, so on the front they went.
received_10100376632941536.jpeg

I also scored a lightly used set of FRPP 3.73s from CL. Picked up a gear install kit from LMR and my buddy had a new set of standard traclok clutches that he gave me. I haven't had the chance to install it all yet but it's on the list. Also have some weld in subframe connectors and torque box plates that will go in when time allows
IMG_20160408_204607381.jpg

124123.jpeg

Here's the car at a local meet:

Snapchat-1352077475552190337.jpg
Looking good .Im out in staten island ny . I follow a dude on instagram with a grey LS swapped rx7 that goes to cap tree. ALways looks like a nice turn out im thinking i may have to check it out one day .

Nice my cat back came from SI. A shop right off 440. Yeah it's pretty cool. there's everything from original model As to brand new lambos. I think i counted about 12-15 foxes when I went a few weeks ago.

Thanks guys. Updates will hopefully be fairly constant.

I saw a bunch of talk about insurance on other posts. I also have Hagerty, the price seems very fair. I take the car to work occasionally too

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. Updates will hopefully be fairly constant.

I saw a bunch of talk about insurance on other posts. I also have Hagerty, the price seems very fair. I take the car to work occasionally too

Good to know, thanks. I just put
Mine on my regular policy to get it on the road. I need to look into something else as it should be much cheaper.

Good to know, thanks. I just put
Mine on my regular policy to get it on the road. I need to look into something else as it should be much cheaper.

That's what i did at first too. Switch when you can - mine was about 1/2 the price and better coverage. Only thing is the 5,000 mile limit but I probably won't top that anyway

Reactions: 1 user
Victory blvd ? Big rob ?

No it was off arthur kill rd in an industrial park, right by the outerbridge. Guy's name was Mike, I think. Worked out great, I was heading to Jersey anyway.

BTW there's a bunch of guys from brooklyn that take the ride out to captree. They have a facebook group, 5 borough foxbodys or something like that

No it was off arthur kill rd in an industrial park, right by the outerbridge. Guy's name was Mike, I think. Worked out great, I was heading to Jersey anyway.

BTW there's a bunch of guys from brooklyn that take the ride out to captree. They have a facebook group, 5 borough foxbodys or something like that
Industrial loop . Those are all my friends down there .

Current pic! i had picked up some belt and drip molding from a local guy that parts Fox's. Also grabbed a driver mirror. Painted it all up with some flat black. I also have new headlights from LMR that are waiting to be installed as well.

last weekend I did both door lock actuators, both sides window bushings, and did the passenger door pins. those were a b*tch and I ran out of time to do the drivers side. Also slapped on some new door latch bushings. All of that really tightened up the door rattling
IMG_20160501_212319.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
By any chance were you on 202 on Pomona in Rockland county in Tuesday. Saw your exact car pass going the opposite direction that day and I just noticed you are in ny too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope not me, the car hasn't left Long Island since I've owned it. Are you from Rockland? My uncle is and he always tells me about a big show on Wednesday nights somewhere at Bear mountain. I want to check it out one of these days