max speed 3.73 ,4.10

moreause

Dec 24, 2003
I'm currently checking into changing my gear for a 3.73 or a 4.10 but my concern is what will be my max speed. I know the speed will lower in forth, but will i will be able to go faster in fifth and how fast...i dont want to go slower than stock or not much. i got a 2002 gt almost stock

thanks guys :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know how fast you want to go, but the last 4.10 GT I rode in stopped at what was either 135 or 145. I don't remember honestly. My GT goes past the 150 mark with 3.90's, and I know with 3.73's it did the same. The 3.27's would touch 150, but it took a long time getting there. My cousin's Cobra went well past 160 with 3.73's.

keepsbreakin said:
I don't know how fast you want to go, but the last 4.10 GT I rode in stopped at what was either 135 or 145. I don't remember honestly. My GT goes past the 150 mark with 3.90's, and I know with 3.73's it did the same. The 3.27's would touch 150, but it took a long time getting there. My cousin's Cobra went well past 160 with 3.73's.
Yep...my top speed went up with the switch from 3.27's to 4.10's

if with my stock gears in my 96 (dont know if its 2 73 or 3 20) but at 80 im hitting 2700-2800. what will i be running with 4 10s?!?!?!?!?! i already bought the 4 10s too. but damn is it normal for stock gears to wine only going 80???!? i can only imagine how much pain my gass bill is going to be in when i move to 4 10s.. is it possible i already have aftermarket gears in my stuff???

3.73 or 4.10s will in fact increase your top end speed over stock gears because with stock power and 3.27s the car will run out of steam meaning you can't wind out 5th gear. With the steeper gear you an wind it out further getting more top end. However from that point on you will lose some top end.

Do us all a favor and when you are attempting these top end runs do it on a abondoned road so the only person you kill is yourself.

Bill

Mustang92 said:
3.73 or 4.10s will in fact increase your top end speed over stock gears because with stock power and 3.27s the car will run out of steam meaning you can't wind out 5th gear. With the steeper gear you an wind it out further getting more top end. However from that point on you will lose some top end.

Do us all a favor and when you are attempting these top end runs do it on a abondoned road so the only person you kill is yourself.

Bill

W3RD :nice:

So if I run 5.14's I shoudl be able to hit like, what 180 mph, this lower gear=higher speed make absolutly no sense. If your red line is 5800 rpm you'll hit it a lot faster with lower gears than higher. Why would you "run out of steam before hitting your top speed". I'd really like a logical explination for this.

DE-03GT said:
So if I run 5.14's I shoudl be able to hit like, what 180 mph, this lower gear=higher speed make absolutly no sense. If your red line is 5800 rpm you'll hit it a lot faster with lower gears than higher. Why would you "run out of steam before hitting your top speed". I'd really like a logical explination for this.
oh man, another top speed guru.