Maximum Motorsports Control Arm Install

5LugFoxFanatic

LOVE AND PEACE!
Founding Member
I decided since it was 85 degrees outside today, I might as well put these in to see if they are worth the money. They went in fairly easy with the exception of a few things. MM says to jack car up and put the rear axle on jackstands, I used a lift and would recommend the same, especially if your arms have never been out, because of seized nutz and boltz. I replaced mine last year and the bolts came out easily.

Here's what I started with.
MVC-008S.jpg

Last year I took the stock control arms, boxed them with 1/4 inch thick steel, and used Energy Suspension Poly bushing at both ends. It made the car handle and hook better, but I wanted more.

MVC-011S.jpg

After I got the lower bolt out, I realized I had to take the muffler out to get to the bolt holding the arm in at the chassis, time consuming, but not a PITA. Much more of a bitch if I did not have dumps.

MVC-009S.jpg

Here's a pic of how worn out my rear spring isolators were from Auto-Xing, so I replaced them with a kit I bought from MM. It's poly, made by Prothane I think.

MVC-012S.jpg

As you can see, the MM part is a much stouter piece. It also uses a 3 piece bushing at the chassis and a spherical busing at the axle to pivot.

MVC-014S.jpg

Here's the finished result.

And another...
MVC-015S.jpg

The only part that sucked was that since I did not have the axle on jackstands, the control arm would not line up with the axle part. It was more than an inch off! So I had to put a tranny jack underneath the diff, and lower the lift onto that to compress the suspension. The passenger side went in no problem. The driver side, would not line up. So I called upon my dad, and he brought over a huge prybar and we pushed the axle to line up with the arm. Took 5 minutes...and I swear I messed around by myslef trying to line it up for a good 45 minutes....blah. I was also able to remove the quad shocks.

Results....

If I was into drag racing, I would nut myself. My car launches much better, and seems to bite harder. Also, around corners, the back seems completely different. This is by far one of the best suspension mods I have done. It took awhile to do...nothing difficult, but well worth it. Oh well, that's it. Then End.

Attachments

• MVC-008S.jpg
    MVC-008S.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 670
  • MVC-011S.jpg
    MVC-011S.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 221
  • MVC-009S.jpg
    MVC-009S.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 156
  • MVC-012S.jpg
    MVC-012S.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 216
  • MVC-014S.jpg
    MVC-014S.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 224
  • MVC-015S.jpg
    MVC-015S.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 410
  • Sponsors (?)

Easiest way to do that control arm to axle bolt is with a ratcheting strap (tie down straps) Guy on here told me about it, and it made it 10000 times easier... took all over 30 seconds to get it in with it.

It looks good! What brand panhard bar do you have on that? I'm really looking to get one myself, and was leaning towards MM because they seem to have the best stuff (and one of the only to make them for a Fox)

Nick

PoopDawg said:
Easiest way to do that control arm to axle bolt is with a ratcheting strap (tie down straps) Guy on here told me about it, and it made it 10000 times easier... took all over 30 seconds to get it in with it.
Nick

Good tip. I used that trick installing rear springs on a Cobra. The IRS was a MFer to line up.

I think MM has the best parts. It's hard not to order the Maximum Grip package. Well not that hard considering it costs more than I paid for my GT.

I have been reading quite a bit lately and It seems that the LCAs seem to make the most difference. That's why I was curious why 5LugFoxFanatic went with the PH bar first.

Keith

I did the PHB first because I got it for 125.00....It's a griggs severe duty adjustable PHB, and they are not made anymore. The guy that I bought it from didn't want it because his MM rear sway bar would not fit with that PHB so he sold it. Even though it was used, and I had to mock up a few pieces, it was worth it. Ironically enough, I got these arms for 125.00 on Ebay that were onlt test fitted supposedly. The guy listed them wrong as racing control arms. Didn't put MM in the title so he got very few looks at his auction.

I do have the stock uppers that I boxed as well. I liked the way my boxed rears did, I wanted MM stuff so I got these because the price was right. I like the Griggs unit myself, and I like how it is a weld in. I love MM stuff, and would buy them over any other company anyday. The only thing that I am not fond of, is their PHB is bolt in, and with the abuse I put my car through, I would rather have a weld in piece over a bolt in.

Oh I forgot to add, I did the PHB second. I did box my stock control arms with 1/4 inch steel which made them way more rigid. The stock arms, you can literally flex with your hands, that's how crappy they are.

Honeslty guys, the LCA's and PHB make the car feel like...not a mustang, if that makes sense.

Great info. It's it great to get a killer deal on parts like that.

The boxed uppers seem like the way to go. Less flex and limited bind.

I didn't realize the stock LCAs were so freakin' weak/flexible.

I wanted to do the control arms and PHB as the first suspension mod. I just bought this car and it had some worn out Eibachs and crappy struts/shocks. I went with the MM coil-overs front and rear as the first mod. MM has a great kit.

The 375 in/lb front and 225 in/lb rears with the sport valving made a huge difference. I can't wait to get the control arms and PHB installed.

My first HPDE event in this car is June 2nd. I can’t wait.

old_blue said:
I plan on running a set from blue oval
26_2155A61R.jpg

Those are not a good idea. Polyurethane at both ends will induce bind in the rear. This will cause snap oversteer when cornering and the rear end will come out on you. I had this happen at the race track. Sure you will notice more traction, but poly is worse than rubber even though it grips better, because it makes the rear unpredictable.

5LugFoxFanatic said:
Those are not a good idea. Polyurethane at both ends will induce bind in the rear. This will cause snap oversteer when cornering and the rear end will come out on you. I had this happen at the race track. Sure you will notice more traction, but poly is worse than rubber even though it grips better, because it makes the rear unpredictable.
Damn good advice. ^
Time for some SFC's.

5LugFoxFanatic said:

Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks! lol

Been there, done that. Here's the really crappy part. You'll be able to corner harder with those polly bushings... to a point... the trouble is, that once that point is reached, there's little or no chance of recovering from it. With the rubber bushings, you can feel the condition coming for you. With the poly bushings, by the time you feel it, it's too late. It's my undertanding though (meaning I've not tried it) that a pan-hard bar will fix that problem and take care of that bind.

The PHB stops the rear end from "rear steering" the back of the car at it's limits. I have had this car and another come around on me before and it's not a very fun feeling.

With the elimination of the side to side movement of the rear end you are free to install some sperical bushings or newer rubber parts. My car is completly stock as far as the suspension goes and I can still move pretty good around the turns, but there is a limit for me right now.

Ratcheting straps...god I wish I would have thought about that when I put in my rear springs....101...on street black-top...with one person trying to lever the control arm into place and get the bolt through....:mad: :bang: :fuss:

Daggar said:
It's my undertanding though (meaning I've not tried it) that a pan-hard bar will fix that problem and take care of that bind.

Actually, my panhard bar did not save me with the poly bushings in the LCA's. It made the car feel more controlled, but there is that point.....

Your tires will grip grip grip grip and then bang, they will break loose and you are done. I did a complete 360 and then some. On the track, no problem, on the street, it might mean death.

And to PoopDawg, they are worth the money if you do any kind real driving, whether it be drag racing or Auto X. One of the best suspension mods I have done so far.

old_blue said:
I plan on running a set from blue oval
26_2155A61R.jpg
Those are what i'm planning on ordering this week as well. I will be adding torque box reinforcements as well as welding all the seams at the same time.

5lugFoxFanatic--and--PoopDawg

So the whole poly bushing causing bind and making the rear end "slide out" is that only a problem for people trying to corner fast? I say this because i do not and will not be doing any aggressive cornering. I "simply" want to go fast in a stright line. I won't be doing any autoxing , only drag racing.