Maximum Motorsports LCA's

Hi-Po

Mar 31, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Posted this by mistake under Talk, so here goes:

Both my upper and lower rear control arms are on their last legs and need replacing. I have decided to go with Maximum Motorsport non-adjustable arms but I am not sure whether to go for the heavy duty lower arms or the extreme duty.

My car is a daily driver year round, but it is also my track toy. I don't do much dragracing but I do quite a bit of road course racing/auto-crossing, and I want to build the suspension with emphasis on cornering/roadhandling.

My concern with the extreme duty arms are the spherical bearings and increased noise and vibrations. MM says on their homepage that the extreme duty arms are still suitable for street use and that the increase in noise and vibrations are minimal - but how true is that?
The good old fox-body is pretty rough compared with modern cars and I dont want to make mine any rouhger/noisier than it already is - I just want it to handle as good as possible...

So, anyone with hands on experience with MM extreme duty lower arms? Are they any good for a daily driver thats also seeing a far share of track duty? Or should I just go with the heavy duty arms instead?

• Sponsors (?)

I suggest going with the heavey duty arms and a set of the FRPP upper arms. Also, replace the bushing on the rear end housing while you are there. This is the combo I run and am very very happy with it. I have zero road noise and the car seems to launch very well. I also consider the extreme duty but the trade off for is not worth it as I drive more on the street than the track. Also, the heavy duty will handle around 500hp no problem on a regular basis. I also installed the PHB at the same time and would highly reccomend it as well. You should call MM and speak to their tech department - they will help you decide with giving you their broad source of knowledge. Good luck.

Thanks, that's helpful. I plan to replace the bushings on the rear end housing as well, but why do you recommend the FRPP uppers instead of the MM uppers?

MM suggests going w/ the FRPP uppers (MM doesn't make uppers) b/c the FRPP arms use a rubber bushing, rather than poly, so they limit the amount of binding that the rear will experience. Having a rear that binds translates into an unpredictable car in the turns. Do yourself a favor, get the MM LCAs, FRPP uppers, new rubber bushings for the rear, the MM tool to replace the bushings in the rear, lose the quads shocks, and get yourself some nice rear shocks (bilstein) and you will be amazed at how much better your car handles and rides.

EDIT: I just saw that you run Eibach springs/shocks so your set there!! Just get some arms now!

Tunedin, tks all your advice. I hadn't noticed the upper arms on the MM website were actually made by Ford but those are the ones I have in mind.
I will be ordering them this week plus the bushings and the tool, and I am pretty sure I will go with the heavy duty lower arms.
Getting the Eibach stuff was like night and day compared with the original springs and shocks - can hardly wait to check out what the MM arms will do to the handling :D
Panhard bar will follow, but there are a few other things that I need to sort out first...