May Buy 88 Carbed 351

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I may buy another Foxbody. This one is a carbed 351. When it comes to 351 conversions in Foxbodys, is there anything specific I need to be looking for? What questions should I be asking?

Here is the text from the add.

I have a 88 mustang foxbody lX it runs and drives great it has a 351w with a EEldebrock performer rpm cam Eldebrock intake manifold and Eldebrock 750 carb 8.8 rear with 373 rear gears and positive traction 5 speed rebuilt trans has about 400 miles with a steed a short throw shifter aasking4200 obo send me a txt if interested .............,thanks also open to trades let me kno wat u have worst I can say is no

3DCD8428-1A8F-4E22-9F3F-20504B5CB955.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks like someone else's headache to me.
No Power steering, no a/c. The belt and bracketry looks to be setup for a race car.
You don't list heads, if it doesn't have a quality set, the car is probably no faster than what you have now (maybe even slower). They are painted so i'll assume they are not aluminum.

Converting an 88 to a carb heavily devalues it.

As of right now i see nothing that car has going for it. Unless the price is $1500 (even at that number i personally wouldn't go near it, or the paint and interior are in great condition, i wouldn't be wasting my time.

Converting to a 351 is nothing special. Some brackets (not that one), headers, oil pan, wider lower intake. When done right it with quality parts, it can make for an awesome ride.
Done wrong with a bunch of crap you got for free, it's just a heavy slug.

Now I'm going to play devils advocate for a sec. If the rest of the car is in descent shape and you just want more of a "drag car" instead of a cruiser I'd consider buying it. Definitely needs a head change and I don't think the t5 will live long. I also think 4200 is high but for 3k...? As far as value goes it seems to me hardly any fox body holds any resale value compared to our investment into them.

If someone did it right and built a roller efi 351 then I would pay, but that looks like an engine yanked out of an old farm truck. I shudder when I see a carbd over Fox. I immediately turn and walk when I see a car that's had the efi pulled out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
I see the v belt pulley now. And only one belt. Could it have been a 4 banger car w/o power steering from factory?

What about brakes? I don't see a vacuum booster either. Did any of these come w/o power brakes?

I see the v belt pulley now. And only one belt. Could it have been a 4 banger car w/o power steering from factory?

What about brakes? I don't see a vacuum booster either. Did any of these come w/o power brakes?
all of it has been removed. enlarge the pic and look at the firewall. the unfaded paint from behind all the vacuum tree, booster and all the other stuff he tore out stands out like a sore thumb. oh, and no wiper motor either it appears.