Mcleod clutch good for dd?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have any mods? If you don't have anything beyond a couple of bolt ons I'd really recommend staying with the OEM clutch. I know it's boring, but it's also butter smooth. Nothing sucks worse than a chattering aftermarket clutch that'll hold 600 ft-lbs of torque, but is crap for everyday driving.

I just replaced the clutch in my Mach with an OEM...I did think about going with a high dollar Centerforce so when I do (if I do) go with a SC I'll be set. At this point I value my everyday driving experience and don't have a whole lot of hope for that KB or Whipple in the near future.

The new OEM clutch is just awesome. Feels brand new, as it should. Couldn't be happier.

Do you have any mods? If you don't have anything beyond a couple of bolt ons I'd really recommend staying with the OEM clutch. I know it's boring, but it's also butter smooth. Nothing sucks worse than a chattering aftermarket clutch that'll hold 600 ft-lbs of torque, but is crap for everyday driving.

I just replaced the clutch in my Mach with an OEM...I did think about going with a high dollar Centerforce so when I do (if I do) go with a SC I'll be set. At this point I value my everyday driving experience and don't have a whole lot of hope for that KB or Whipple in the near future.

The new OEM clutch is just awesome. Feels brand new, as it should. Couldn't be happier.

Agreed. I grenaded my stock clutch about 2 months ago and replaced it with a Ram HDX clutch. I love the new clutch. It's very similar to the stock clutch, is priced well, and is very pleasant for everyday driving. No reason to buy an expensive clutch if you don't plan on going FI down the road.

Ram and FRPP are aftermarket, but they will perform similar to the stock clutch and are both good replacement options. What does the dealer charge for a replacement clutch?

I know you can get a Ram HDX or a FRPP HD clutch for around $175

What does the dealer charge for a replacement clutch?

Do you really want to know? $556.85 for the OEM. Ridiculous :notnice: And then $425 for labor including the replacement or resurfacing of the flywheel. Not too bad but seems a bit high.

I think I might just buy an OEM clutch myself and have a smaller shop put it in. Then I'll only have to spend $200ish on the clutch and $250-350 on labor. Save myself almost half!

Ram and FRPP are aftermarket, but they will perform similar to the stock clutch and are both good replacement options. What does the dealer charge for a replacement clutch?

I know you can get a Ram HDX or a FRPP HD clutch for around $175

i hear the ford racing is really hard as a DD clutch, i think the king cobra has more of an OEM feel to it, but i dont know its just what ive been told

Don't go to a dealer for a clutch job, take it to a competent transmission shop and save some money. Mine was $550 total for parts and labor with (your mileage may vary depending on labor rates in your area).

I got either a Sachs or Ram (can't remeber which now) OEM replacement and it feels just like the factory clutch.

I've heard good things about the King Cobra too and might give it a go if I was buying the clutch myself but I just let the shop put in what they'd had good luck with.

I agree though that unless you've got some good reason to go with a heavy duty or exotic clutch like you've got massive boost or nitrous or you're drag racing all the time, a factory style clutch is probably best. They'll last over 100k in normal driving duty and won't annoy you with grabbiness and chatter and a sore left leg.

My friend has a Mcleod clutch on his Mach 1 and is a daily driver and he likes it but,the petal is alittle heavy.
When it comes to clutches you get what you pay for.
I highly recommend purchasing a Centerforce clutch.I have had one on
my GT for 11K miles now and I love it.The petal pressure is pretty light
for a aftermarket clutch and it takes all the abuse I give it.
I would avoid the Ram clutches like the plauge! My Ram clutch only lasted
7K miles and the Ram clutch on my cousins 92 LX only lasted 5K.The install
was also done correctly and I think that Ram clutches are simply crap.
Me and my cousin now both have Centerforce clutches and we are very happy with them.
I vote get a Centerforce or Mcleod clutch.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help and insight. If I do end up buying my own OEM clutch, where did you find it for $179 like I keep hearing. The cheapest I've found so far is $243. Thanks!

Late Model Restoration and American Muscle sell both the FRPP HD clutch and the Ram HDX and I think they are both in the $170-$200 range.

You also can get 6% off from American Muscle if you shoot AMNick a PM requesting a promo code.

you should grab up the frpp king cobra....great pedal and great clutch... works well with a modded car as well

I don't have first hand experience with the FRPP King Cobra, but have heard good things from forum members in the past about this clutch. I would have bought it myself when I replaced my clutch a couple of months ago, but Ford raised the price on it. At one time it was only $199, and now it is more like $300 :(

Whatever you do don't get a Ram clutch they are horrible quality.
Me and my cousin both had clutch disc failure with are Ram clutches.
Get a Centerforce One clutch if you are stock you will love it!

Not true at all. I have a Ram HDX and it's been great. Who installed the clutch for you and your cousin? Did you break it in properly, by going easy on it? I don't know Pony, you don't seem to know much about anything.